Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 1st Oct 19, 5:43 PM
    • 820Posts
    • 411Thanks
    Futuristic
    Water leaking down outside walls
    • 1st Oct 19, 5:43 PM
    Water leaking down outside walls 1st Oct 19 at 5:43 PM
    Not sure what's causing this but would like to get fixed asap, who should I call out for this? Or is it fixable by using some sealant but not sure where its leaking from

Pic:
    https://i.imgur.com/KPZLmgj.jpg

Thanks!
Page 1
    • JimmyChanga
    • By JimmyChanga 1st Oct 19, 5:54 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    JimmyChanga
    • 1st Oct 19, 5:54 PM
    • 1st Oct 19, 5:54 PM
    Small section of flat roof over the bay window should have guttering. Otherwise it's just going to come off the sides like that.
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 1st Oct 19, 6:20 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    Futuristic
    • 1st Oct 19, 6:20 PM
    • 1st Oct 19, 6:20 PM
    Small section of flat roof over the bay window should have guttering. Otherwise it's just going to come off the sides like that.
    Originally posted by JimmyChanga
    Its just one side, not a single mark on the other side.
    • JimmyChanga
    • By JimmyChanga 1st Oct 19, 6:23 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    JimmyChanga
    • 1st Oct 19, 6:23 PM
    • 1st Oct 19, 6:23 PM
    Its just one side, not a single mark on the other side.
    Because the surface is unlikely to be perfectly level. So water is going to go pool to the lowest part.

When it's raining, pop out and have a look.
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 1st Oct 19, 6:50 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    Futuristic
    • 1st Oct 19, 6:50 PM
    • 1st Oct 19, 6:50 PM
    Because the surface is unlikely to be perfectly level. So water is going to go pool to the lowest part.

When it's raining, pop out and have a look.
    Originally posted by JimmyChanga
    Thanks will do, I don't really want another pipe coming all the way down. Is it possible to have the bay guttering (if needed) routed to that pipe around the corner to the left?
    https://i.imgur.com/eNlb15X.jpg

I guess this should be pretty cheap fix to have someone do?
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 1st Oct 19, 8:33 PM
    • 2,565 Posts
    • 4,052 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 1st Oct 19, 8:33 PM
    • 1st Oct 19, 8:33 PM
    How long have you lived there for? If itís never happened before it might not happen again. Itís been phenomenally wet and a proper deluge with the wind in just the right direction can do freakish things.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 1st Oct 19, 10:21 PM
    • 3,191 Posts
    • 4,151 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 1st Oct 19, 10:21 PM
    • 1st Oct 19, 10:21 PM
    The bay certainly needs guttering. You can get some small profiles that won't look too out of place (thinking, some rectangular mini guttering in white). A downpipe will still be needed. Routing round the corner to hook up with existing one will look silly in my opinion.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 2nd Oct 19, 9:12 AM
    • 7,201 Posts
    • 7,817 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 2nd Oct 19, 9:12 AM
    • 2nd Oct 19, 9:12 AM
    It's possible that the roof has dropped slightly at that corner if the gutter is on another aspect. Whatever the cause it does need to be sorted.
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 2nd Oct 19, 2:00 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    Futuristic
    • 2nd Oct 19, 2:00 PM
    • 2nd Oct 19, 2:00 PM
    Thanks for the help, so I had one quote and they want £340 to gutter that top bay window, like you guys he said there's no other way as that roofing above window is rock solid and doesn't bend so he couldn't' even try move water out of the way of the windows.

Also didn't realise neighbours next door have same issue, we might talk to them and see if we can get developers to fix this
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 2nd Oct 19, 2:08 PM
    • 4,002 Posts
    • 2,931 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Also didn't realise neighbours next door have same issue, we might talk to them and see if we can get developers to fix this
    Originally posted by Futuristic
    Are you saying it's a new house? In which case, yes get the developer to put it right.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 2nd Oct 19, 2:11 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    Futuristic
    Are you saying it's a new house? In which case, yes get the developer to put it right.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Sorry I should have mentioned, I already contacted them and they refused as its been over 2 years period they cover (2.5 yrs to be precise) so they just don't care anymore. However if its a structural defect (is it?) then maybe I can seek action to recoup my costs.

I will also see if the 10yr premier guarantee covers this, but I assume its not as its not major structural damage.
    Last edited by Futuristic; 02-10-2019 at 3:07 PM.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 2nd Oct 19, 2:31 PM
    • 3,191 Posts
    • 4,151 Thanks
    FreeBear
    I would say that it is a design and construction defect - Certainly something the developers should be remedying rather than trying to wriggle out of doing anything.

What else have they missed out when building the houses ?
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 2nd Oct 19, 3:19 PM
    • 7,201 Posts
    • 7,817 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Developers will do anything they can to wriggle out of their responsibilities. If they won't act to correct what is pretty clearly a construction fault contact NHBC in the first instance. If no joy there, look at the small claims court after getting an independant report on the cause of the problem.
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 18th Oct 19, 7:41 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    Futuristic
    We got this response:
    The roofing company have come back to us to confirm that as this is not a design/construction fault.

Site Manager has confirmed - There is no structural defect

Both have confirmed that it is not possible to have guttering installed as GRP bay roofs are not designed to have guttering on them.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 19th Oct 19, 2:06 AM
    • 50,073 Posts
    • 62,389 Thanks
    G_M
    £340 sounds expensive - most of that is labour and it'snot a hard job.

Though you'll have to consider where the downpipe leads. You can't just release the water at the foot of the wall or you'll create a new damp problem.........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,757Posts Today

7,548Users online

Martin's Twitter