TV Licence article Discussion

Comments

• Cornucopia wrote: »
    The Licence is a licence to receive TV broadcasts - all of them. The term "Live TV" is an unhelpfully ambiguous term, as you have found. (And to their shame, BBC-TVL undertook a public survey to test the Public's understanding in 2016, and found that 59% did not understand the term in the way required to successfully interpret its own communications about the TV Licence).

What they mean by "Live TV" is programming that is transmitted in real time, rather than being catch-up or video-on-demand. So, unfortunately, that means that the answer to all three of your questions is: yes.

Once you ditch the notion of "Live TV", the rules are pretty straightforward:-

You need a TV Licence to...

- Watch or record TV Broadcasts ("linear channels") received via traditional means (terrestrial, satellite or cable TV).

- Watch the Internet-streamed versions of the channels above.

- Use BBC iPlayer to watch or download BBC programs (but not radio or S4C programs).]

Looks like I need a license then............................ :mad:

Thanks for the clarification.

Good to hear a clear explanation that is actually understanable.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Phil555 wrote: »
    Looks like I need a license then............................ :mad:

I think so.

As described in the MSE article, it's not necessarily that difficult to not need a Licence. You can still watch catch-up services from the commercial broadcasters, most content from Youtube and all the video-on-demand content from Now TV, Netflix and Amazon.
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    !!!!!!

The BBC license is a form of tax. Think of it like council tax. You want to watch TV - you pay the tax
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    keith969 wrote: »
    !!!!!!

The BBC license is a form of tax. Think of it like council tax. You want to watch TV - you pay the tax

Not strictly true, only if you want to watch LIVE tv..... (or BBC catchup).

So easy to make small changes so you don't need to pay the licence I'm amazed more don't do it... I suspect most young people don't need to pay the licence due to the way they get content, and the rest of us just need to not stick to TV schedules to achieve most of it... easiest moneysaving thing ever...
  • Had my visit from TVL today

TVL - do you live here?
    Me - yes
    TVL - do you have a TV licence?
    Me - no
    TVL - So no TV or anything in the property?
    Me - correct
    TVL - Can I come in and verify that?
    Me - no
    TVL - okay thanks. Bye

Licence - noun.
    License - verb.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Hi,
    Silly question maybe, but I just wanted to know if I would be required to have a licence for having BBC News, BBC Sport and BBC Weather websites as apps on my iPad and on my laptop.
    I do not watch TV other than Netflix and YouTube and listen mainly to the radio.
    I do not have a licence but am unsure about the websites.
    To confirm, I do not watch ANY live TV in any form.
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    redmike58 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Silly question maybe, but I just wanted to know if I would be required to have a licence for having BBC News, BBC Sport and BBC Weather websites as apps on my iPad and on my laptop.
    I do not watch TV other than Netflix and YouTube and listen mainly to the radio.
    I do not have a licence but am unsure about the websites.
    To confirm, I do not watch ANY live TV in any form.

No, only if you are watching live tv, or on demand from Iplayer.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 September 2019 at 6:13PM
    Had my visit from TVL today

TVL - do you live here?
    Me - yes
    TVL - do you have a TV licence?
    Me - no
    TVL - So no TV or anything in the property?
    Me - correct
    TVL - Can I come in and verify that?
    Me - no
    TVL - okay thanks. Bye
    Had I agreed to answer any questions, my answer to the 3rd would have been different as I have 3 TV sets in my house. And I assume the 'or anything' could include laptop (3), desktop PC (1), tablet (1) and mobile phone (2 that work).
    But do I watch Live TV or iPlayer? No, and it's that rather than owning a TV set which requires a licence.
    Therefore I don't need a licence.
    Cheryl
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    cw18 wrote: »
    Had I agreed to answer any questions, my answer to the 3rd would have been different

My answer to the first three would have been "None of your business", and the last, an emphatic refusal.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Hi I've had Marston bailiffs come collect £680 off me for TV licensing, I paid in full in Jan and they proceeded to go to court, cut a long story short, I've had all proceedings against me dropped and am now being passed from pillar to post trying to get my money back. They have left us with £4 to live on for 3 weeks until we are paid by our employers, we also have 2 children aged 6 and 8. All due to their employee error. They Ave also admitted fault but that doesn't put food on my table. I'm struggling to get any answers and don't know what other options I have to get my money back quicker and compensation for all the distress it is causing. Thanks in advance for any advise
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback