Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mountainpass123
    • By Mountainpass123 16th Sep 19, 12:28 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Mountainpass123
    Is my contract valid
    • 16th Sep 19, 12:28 AM
    Is my contract valid 16th Sep 19 at 12:28 AM
    Hi

I have a contract from August 24th which is 6 months AST. On the 3rd of September the landlord who has an AST with the freeholder was served a section 21 eviction notice. The notice is valid due to him having this property for 3 years. The notice says until November 11 is when tenants and occupiers have to leave.
    The landlord says he won't give the freeholders back the property until Jan 1st....
    Now. I want to just move out asap without coming into arrears with the landlord I know it's tough being landlord with many bad tenants but I am reasonable and will pay what I owe however. My landlord is a little bit of a get what he can kind of guy I believe.
    My question is is my contract valid based on these 3 points.
    One. I have a 6month contract yet he only is available to let me rent to January 1st?
    Two. The freeholders turned off our hot water for 1 week now and we have asked both the estate agent and landlord to fix and they sent a plumber twice I believe and still it's not working with no explanation why.
    Three. This section 21 eviction notice states the tenancy will end on novber 11.

All I want to do is give a months notice and pay him the months rent and leave. My contract States that within the first three months I cannot leave and will need to pay the tinder of the agreement if I do. There is no deposit just had to pay 200 pounds to secure the room which I don't get back but I pay 200 pounds less on the last months rent.... Yes I know many alarm bells but I'm a fool and will just rent normally again from now on.
    So my next rent due date which is a months rent Ina dvamce i.e the rent I paid on the 24th August is rent until septber 23rd. So I want this to be my last months rent and move out on the 23rd of october.
    What is scaring me is I asked the agent to change my contract to rolling on Friday. He said no problem he will send it over on Monday ie today. But then on Saturday morning the landlord text me and said that I must pay until the end of the rental term....I don't want to lose out and don't want him to lose out so I believe if I give notice from next week to leave October I should be allowed to leave. Can someone stop me from worrying. Thanks
Page 2
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Sep 19, 4:04 PM
    • 6,685 Posts
    • 10,515 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    So is this correct?

You have a contract for 6 months and now they have sent you another contract for the same property that is not for 6 months but for the same time period as the 6 months one?
    • Mountainpass123
    • By Mountainpass123 18th Sep 19, 4:00 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mountainpass123
    Yes at the bottom. The landlord just told all tenants by text they must be out by November 11 but we have no idea what to pay rent wise for the last few weeks as its not a full month.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Sep 19, 4:04 PM
    • 49,685 Posts
    • 61,703 Thanks
    G_M
    Yes at the bottom. The landlord just told all tenants by text they must be out by November 11 but we have no idea what to pay rent wise for the last few weeks as its not a full month.
    Originally posted by Mountainpass123
    If you intend to leave as requested on the 11th, then pay rent pro rata. Calculate the daily rent (monthly rent / 30) and then pay for 11 days (asuming you pay on the 1st of the month).

If youplan to ignore the request and stay, then pay rent as normal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

1,435Users online

Martin's Twitter