Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Penelope
    'Do you support Wednesday's strike?' poll
    • 28th Nov 11, 12:11 PM
    'Do you support Wednesday's strike?' poll 28th Nov 11 at 12:11 PM
    Poll started 22 November 2011, click here to vote

Do you support Wednesday's strike?

On Wednesday, 23 public sector unions will strike over changes to their pensions. This is likely to impact many areas including schools, some NHS operations and passport checks (more info in BBC Q&A).

Which of these is closest to your view (if you have more than one job/contract choose the one you spend most time on)

I work in the public sector

A. I fully support the strike
    B. I support it as it's democratic - but I would've voted / did vote against it
    C. I'm against the strike
    D. I don't know enough about it to decide

I work in the private or charity sector

B. I support it as it's democratic - but I would've voted / did vote against it

I don't work / am unemployed/ am retired

B. I support it as it's democratic - but would've voted against it myself

Click reply to discuss
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 28-11-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Page 6
    • ipod killed the musicshop
    • By ipod killed the musicshop 4th Dec 11, 6:29 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 1,963 Thanks
    ipod killed the musicshop
    A few thoughts on the strike and pensions in general.
    1) These strikers just don't get it there is no money left we are squillions in debt, they have been offered a very good deal in comparison with the private sector, I know, I paid in vast sums to my private pension, only to see the returns diminished by at least 1/3 over the last 10 years thanks in large parts to Mr Brown.
    2) I started work at 15 most young people now dont start work until at least 18, and will have to work to 67 before they get a state pension, therefore they will work one year less than I and many of my generation have had to do.
    3) We have overpaid ourselves over the last 10 years, and now we are having to pay it back, yes lifes tough, but get used to it. Stop bleating you in the public sector we are all suffering, because of the last governments policies, a government most of you strikers supported I may add.
    Originally posted by Dave Montford
    At least one of your points has been answered in the very post above yours. Your laziness leaves me in no mood to bother with the rest of your post.
    Boris Johnson voted against Brexit in the Commons, all to become leader of the Conservative Party. Fall for it and you deserve everything you get.
  • crompy
    I work in the private sector and am currently seeing what I contribute increase from nothing to 5% whilst at the same time seeing my retirement age extend from 60 to 65. Am I happy about this no - am I realistic about what I get back yes. I know I am lucky to have a far better pension than a vast number of people working in the private sector on modest wages where their employers make no provision or contribution to a pension for their workers. In an ideal world we would all have bigger and better pensions but we live in a real world! I might be missing something but the government is borrowing £bns every month, has anyone seen what is happening in Greece and other countries? people do live longer, investment returns are down the world is changing and we should all be responsible.
    • 54druids
    • By 54druids 10th Dec 11, 9:53 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    54druids
    I work in the private sector and am currently seeing what I contribute increase from nothing to 5% whilst at the same time seeing my retirement age extend from 60 to 65. Am I happy about this no - am I realistic about what I get back yes. I know I am lucky to have a far better pension than a vast number of people working in the private sector on modest wages where their employers make no provision or contribution to a pension for their workers. In an ideal world we would all have bigger and better pensions but we live in a real world! I might be missing something but the government is borrowing £bns every month, has anyone seen what is happening in Greece and other countries? people do live longer, investment returns are down the world is changing and we should all be responsible.
    Originally posted by crompy
    Could not have put it better myself. Erm Hello Public Sector workers, look around you, do you think you are the only ones in the situation you are in? Your strike leaves me so angry. Having struggled with our business for the past 3 years and ploughed all of our savings and our future inheritance as well as some of our parents savings(never mind pension) into keeping our company going and keeping people in jobs, it sickens me to hear of your selfishness. Yes, i realise it is not as one person on the tv said "what she signed up for" but this situation is not what any of us signed up for. Be thankful you have a job, a roof over your head and food on the table of some description. Perhaps the private sector should go on strike - oops sorry there are no hostages or pawns for us to use to facilitate our ransom demands. And as for suing Jeremy Clarkson, well I have to ask myself where would the money for that legal team come from. I do have sympathy for you all but no more than i have for every one else in the whole country at the moment. What we need is solidarity not strike, lets have a march to show how united we are to get through this or is that too positive a move?
    Smile though your bank is breaking
  • RealQuantum
    Could not have put it better myself. Erm Hello Public Sector workers, look around you, do you think you are the only ones in the situation you are in? Your strike leaves me so angry. Having struggled with our business for the past 3 years and ploughed all of our savings and our future inheritance as well as some of our parents savings(never mind pension) into keeping our company going and keeping people in jobs, it sickens me to hear of your selfishness. Yes, i realise it is not as one person on the tv said "what she signed up for" but this situation is not what any of us signed up for. Be thankful you have a job, a roof over your head and food on the table of some description. Perhaps the private sector should go on strike - oops sorry there are no hostages or pawns for us to use to facilitate our ransom demands. And as for suing Jeremy Clarkson, well I have to ask myself where would the money for that legal team come from. I do have sympathy for you all but no more than i have for every one else in the whole country at the moment. What we need is solidarity not strike, lets have a march to show how united we are to get through this or is that too positive a move?
    Originally posted by 54druids
    Idiot, need i say more
    • 54druids
    • By 54druids 16th Dec 11, 7:52 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    54druids
    Idiot, need i say more
    Originally posted by RealQuantum
    Well actually you do! (guessing you are a public sector worker - am i right?) Well, try being my position. Lost our business 2 months ago but before it went made sure that all the staff got paid and also get employment even though we are only a small company (we put their needs before ours) Lost everything we had bar the house, that includes our future inheritance, our childrens inheritance, our ability to pay our pension, my kids have lost their father and i have lost my husband as he now has to work away so that we can just about make ends meet which we arent doing very well at the moment so the house may go next year. We are trapped as if we sell the bank will take what little equity there is left in the house since most of it went into the business. Ooh did i not mention the bank, well, we still have that to come when they come knocking on our door for thousands. I didnt sign up for that either and neither did my husband and children so perhaps you would now care to elaborate on why you think I am an idiot!
    Smile though your bank is breaking
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,833Posts Today

8,064Users online

Martin's Twitter