Paypal Echeques

Can you help me set up paypal correctly please? When I make a partial or full refund it always goes as an echeque taking days. The Paypal account is linked to my bank account so I can withdraw money instantly.

A assume I need to do something more to allow instant refunds. This is attached to a web site and not Ebay but I think that is irrelevant. It would be good to stop annoying my customers who have to wait a week for their money!

Comments

• I believe it will go as an e-cheque if it’s coming straight from your account and not from funds in your PayPal account.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks Mark. Can I put money into the PP account more quickly somehow and then do the refund? It doesn't look good if refunds are so slow.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Do you have a credit card attached to your account? I was under the impression that e-cheques happened when there was only a bank account attached not a credit card as backup incase the bank account transfer failed.
  • martindow
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    Do you have a credit card attached to your account? I was under the impression that e-cheques happened when there was only a bank account attached not a credit card as backup incase the bank account transfer failed.
    Thank you, I've just looked at this. A card was listed but I have just verified it and entered a code on a charge made to the card as PP was suggesting. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

I'm not looking forward to needing to make a refund, but I'll test it out when it happens.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,157 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AFAIK the only way to avoid an echeque being sent is to have a balance in your account
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • martindow
    If the PP balance is insufficient, can I transfer some money in more quickly than happens with an echeque and then refund?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,157 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    martindow wrote: »
    If the PP balance is insufficient, can I transfer some money in more quickly than happens with an echeque and then refund?

Unfortunately not, paypal transfer money in at a snail's pace and you are unlikely to gain any time doing it that way.

This is very frustrating actually. A few years ago I ended up with endless calls to ebay as my refund to the buyer after item was lost took so long it was treated as a failed refund, and I got a defect for not resolving the case even though I could prove I had accepted the loss and tried to refund the payment. Ebay blamed paypal for a glitch is taking so long to sort the refund out, paypal blamed ebay for not requesting the money properly and it went on and on.

In the end ebay agreed that as buyer actually had received their money (a few hours after the case was closed against me) they would remove the defect and refund my FVFs- but it was hard work persuading them that they had a glitch.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,037 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    My Paypal account has the option of doing a bank transfer in from a linked bank account.

Add money
    Top up your PayPal balance using your bank account. It’s as easy as making a domestic payment transfer.

1.Use a bank account that's been added to your PayPal account
    The bank account also must be in the same name as your PayPal account: If the names don’t match, you can change this in your Profile.

2.Log in to your online banking or go to your bank
    Then, follow your bank's instructions for making a payment transfer.

Make sure you use the details exactly as they appear here.
    Name of payee
    PayPal
    Payee sort code

Payee account number

Customer reference/ID

3. Look for an email
    We’ll send you an email once the money is in your PayPal balance. Typically, the transfer takes a few minutes, but allow up to 3 business days depending on your bank.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • martindow
    Thanks jwil. This doesn't seem to be available on my account and I only have the usual option taking several days.

I found this page in Paypal's help section which mentions that the bank account must be confirmed for this to work (which it is).

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ1348
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport