Ebay item delivered to neighbour who won't return it

Comments

• westbridgfordguy
    westbridgfordguy Posts: 106 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2019 at 12:19PM
    What does the courier tracking say? If it says Mrs Smith no8 have you been to No8 and asked for Mrs Smith?

Keep on with the seller, get them to find out where it is. Explain your neighbours aren't call Smith if that is the case - give the seller as much info as possible.

I've fed back to the vendor that there is no one at number 43 in this case with the name Dowson and the owners of this property are instead called Cheetham and that I have also gone round to this property to enquire about my delivery and also numbers 39 and 45 without any joy.

Vendor replied not much else they can do as the package has been delivered (not to my address) and I should take it up with the courier.

I intend to reply back that the vendor has a contract with the courier not myself and that I wish reimbursement for an item that wasn't delivered to my address and am happy to supply information for vendor to use to claim against their courier unless there is something else I should do?
  • pinkshoes wrote: »
    Until you have better proof that the neighbour has it, I would assume they don't.

The courier could just be buying time...

Vendor is now saying that the onus is on me to progress with the courier as they have delivered to an address (clearly not mine) and they can't (or won't) do anything further
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Vendor is now saying that the onus is on me to progress with the courier as they have delivered to an address (clearly not mine) and they can't (or won't) do anything further

The contract is between the seller and the carrier. The carrier will not help you.

Unfortunately some sellers don't bother. You could try ringing ebay and explain that the parcel [tracking] shows as delivered delivered to a neighbour but that you have checked with all neighbours. Unfortunately the seller is likely to win an INR but there is no harm in you trying. But don't open it online, ring and explain. You may have to open it, lose it and then appeal it.
  • The contract is between the seller and the carrier. The carrier will not help you.

Unfortunately some sellers don't bother. You could try ringing ebay and explain that the parcel [tracking] shows as delivered delivered to a neighbour but that you have checked with all neighbours. Unfortunately the seller is likely to win an INR but there is no harm in you trying. But don't open it online, ring and explain. You may have to open it, lose it and then appeal it.

I did explain to the vendor that the contract exists between the courier and themselves and it is their responsibility to progress said query not mine.

I have also taken your advice and phoned Ebay and informed them of the situation, they have stated that I have nothing to worry about as my money is protected and that they would fully support my claim if the vendor did not return my money as the item was not delivered to the address given on my original order request.

They also said that the onus is on the vendor to resolve this and it is not up to me as you said to be chasing couriers for delivery information.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    I did explain to the vendor that the contract exists between the courier and themselves and it is their responsibility to progress said query not mine.

I have also taken your advice and phoned Ebay and informed them of the situation, they have stated that I have nothing to worry about as my money is protected and that they would fully support my claim if the vendor did not return my money as the item was not delivered to the address given on my original order request.

They also said that the onus is on the vendor to resolve this and it is not up to me as you said to be chasing couriers for delivery information.

Don't read too much into Ebay CS and what they say, albeit in this instance they are correct. In truth INR cases tend to be resolved by the machine not human and the appeal is where you might find some help.

Open a case - clearly state the item HAS been delivered but not to you. Quote the full tracking details (ie Mrs Smith at No.8) if that is what is said, upload a screen shot and see what happens.

I think you will lose, but you never know, it may go easy in your favour or the seller may not know the system.

If you lose, ring eBay and appeal on the grounds the POD is not to you or your address.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    custardy wrote: »
    Do you feel you signing it vs them is more secure?
    Do you feel an item handed over without signature is less secure?

It depends on what they are signing it as. If the courier/postman is signing it as the courier that is fine. Marking it as delivered. If they are pretending to be me, it is not. If a parcel gets delivered wrongly and I have to claim non-delivery I don't want to start by having to prove I was at work when it was signed for by 'me'.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • ailey
    ailey Posts: 3,184 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    custardy wrote: »
    Do you feel you signing it vs them is more secure?
    Do you feel an item handed over without signature is less secure?

I feel that me signing it means that I've actually received the parcel.

What I meant was that a courier could be tracked to a person's address as I know some couriers do use tracking now, but if they don't get a signature from someone at the correct address or a neighbour's signature, then what's to stop them keeping the occasional parcel and saying that it's been delivered? I personally haven't had any problems but I'm sure there must be some dishonest couriers just the same as there have been dishonest postmen over the years. It just seems strange that they stand at our doors and sign for items themselves as that never happened in the past.

A parcel handed over without a signature is perfectly fine if it gets delivered to the correct address.
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    ailey wrote: »
    I feel that me signing it means that I've actually received the parcel.

What I meant was that a courier could be tracked to a person's address as I know some couriers do use tracking now, but if they don't get a signature from someone at the correct address or a neighbour's signature, then what's to stop them keeping the occasional parcel and saying that it's been delivered? I personally haven't had any problems but I'm sure there must be some dishonest couriers just the same as there have been dishonest postmen over the years. It just seems strange that they stand at our doors and sign for items themselves as that never happened in the past.

A parcel handed over without a signature is perfectly fine if it gets delivered to the correct address.

and do what do most people say when they sign. oh it looks nothing like my signature.
    They sign to save time. people want cheaper and cheaper carriers. couriers are asked/expected to do more and more on their runs.
    These things save time.
    If you have ever had to deal with the general public signing these machines you would see what a faff many make of it.

You seem to hold a lot of weight on the signature. I don't.
    Although my parcel sig is not my sig but a distinct mark I make so its clear if it was me or not.
    A parcel handed over [STRIKE]without a signature[/STRIKE] is perfectly fine if it gets delivered to the correct address

Doesnt this make as much sense?
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 545 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Is there an adjacent road it could have been delivered to?
    We occasionally find mis-delivered items at ours (or a neighbour's) house number in the adjacent road.
  • YBR wrote: »
    Is there an adjacent road it could have been delivered to?
    We occasionally find mis-delivered items at ours (or a neighbour's) house number in the adjacent road.

There is a road immediately parallel to the one I live on, yes. Part of my issue with the couriers claims is that they didn't even shove a card through my door saying that the item was at another house.

It does also lead to the debate regards if you received a package clearly identified with a different name and address would you wait for the recipient to come round and collect it or would you take it round yourself given that they might not be even aware the item is there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure