Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,694Posts
    • 21,260Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life
    • 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life 27th Dec 18 at 5:48 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019!"

I made a fairly good start in 2018 but 2019 is THE YEAR that I finally get to grips with a full declutter - I would like to have NO rooms/cupboards/drawers of Doom & I would like to have a revamped bathroom & fully decorated house My DH is going to be very busy

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2019 in 2019 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days & if you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 thread will also post on the 2019 thread

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

MrsSD

P.S. Hope this works as it is my very first attempt at starting a Thread

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 05-07-2019 at 8:05 AM.
Page 133
    • choille
    • By choille 15th Jul 19, 10:19 AM
    • 7,039 Posts
    • 32,658 Thanks
    choille
    I'm using up my toiletries a lot faster now, yesterday the end of a handwash, a body lotion, a tube of toothpaste, a moisturiser and a shaving gel.

I still have a lot to get through. I put another body lotion on the side of the bath to use up this week.

Bottles to recycling today and some stale bread to the birds.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I've not been buying shampoo, conditioner, body lotion etc for ages and am getting through the ridiculous stockpile I had. It feels good to use it up.
    • Picklepot
    • By Picklepot 15th Jul 19, 11:44 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 4,781 Thanks
    Picklepot
    overwhelmed with the stuff
    Hi

Truly getting overwhelmed with the stuff that has been pulled out whilst decorating and we now realise we dont want to put back Feel like i have taken it out of one room and put it in another

239-241 - 2 large table lamps with shades to CS bag in car
    242-294 - 52 books, CD's and DVD's to second hand charity book shop
    • choille
    • By choille 15th Jul 19, 1:27 PM
    • 7,039 Posts
    • 32,658 Thanks
    choille
    195 - 197. 3 things posted.

I do notice a difference upstairs but still have masses to do.
    • Rootle
    • By Rootle 15th Jul 19, 2:55 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Rootle
    29/52 - top to 'share and ware' box at Church. Not much but I've now got a new option for passing on unwanted clothes
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 15th Jul 19, 6:45 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 9,716 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    Just 13 pieces of paperwork today.
    Decluttering 518/2019
    Deleting old emails 198/2019
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 16th Jul 19, 12:45 AM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 21,260 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Monday was another mixed day - started cloudy & eventually blue skies, some sunshine & some warmth
    DH did some work in the garage & packed an overnight bag as he is doing Round Britain Rally Tuesday & Wednesday. Another lazy day for me - knitting & clearing more programmes from my planner. Cooked fish’n’chips & peas for dinner. Saw Jupiter & the full moon

2260 - 2264 Four drinks cans, glass jar & metal lid - Recycled
    2265 Bag of kitchen detritus - Binned

WellDone :- Picklepot; Wednesday2000; choille; Rootle; oceanspirit -

See you later

MrsSD
    2265/4038
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 16th Jul 19, 6:19 AM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 20,621 Thanks
    villagelife
    737-741 DH work diaries.
    742- 744 another 3 years of DH accounts. All had been kept til recently from when he started being self employed over 20 years ago.
    745-746 bits of barbed wire and chicken wire in next doors skip.
    747-748 magazines to DH work.

Hopefully more will follow this week.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 16th Jul 19, 10:45 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Helping young 17yr old to start knitting again so several balls of odd wools de-cluttered and 1 set knitting needles lent out. Yellowing potato plants taken out and leaves thrown away so now several new home grown potatoes to use, ditto with some radish plants which grew lots of leaves and no radishes !!! so will cut and use leaves like spinach later along with some home grown salad leaves. More potato plants strting to yellow, others still fresh. Have 1 of my tomatoes turning pale orange, plenty of green ones on plant, and actually got some pea pods so will pick them today to put with other items for dinner.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 16th Jul 19, 11:13 AM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 19,430 Thanks
    parsniphead
    This morning I have dug out the carpet cleaner which has never worked to well. After much fiddling and cursing I have finally got it going. Carpet cleaning for me this afternoon. I've also got some grout whitener.

This thread is started to make me houseproud. I never thought that would happen.

I'm going for a quick trip to the tip tomorrow and more decluttering before treatment in the afternoon.

Have a fab day all.
    My mini challenge: pay off Yorkshire Bank by 31/10/19 £0/305

£1000 Emergency fund challenge £40/1000

My house WILL be decluttered by 1st December 2019
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 16th Jul 19, 1:14 PM
    • 13,367 Posts
    • 226,887 Thanks
    greenbee
    Wow PH - you've come a long way... you can get to enough carpet to make it worthwhile cleaning them! Enjoy the tip trip tomorrow, and hopefully treatment won't be too unpleasant.

I've done a CS drop off. It annoys me that although they give you a unique donor ID, there is one guy there who always asks for additional information, including whether the donation is mine or my husband's (I don't have a husband, and anyway the donor ID tells them who it is) and whether I'm Mrs or Miss - despite that fact that I say 'neither' ever time. Tempted to say 'Professor' next time

I have, however, got rid of a bootload of stuff.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 16th Jul 19, 4:01 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 19,703 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I've just caught up on the latest 70-or-so posts on this thread: you are an inspiring lot! I especially relate to the posts be people who are wading through a sea of toiletries. That's me too. I am determined to use up and not waste them, though I did throw out some razors that always got more skin than hair.

In the past ten days we've had two people move out, but I'm not counting them as being decluttered even though we now have more space. I'm glad they are going to be living locally, and at the moment are still at the stage of popping in for things they've yet to collect. I've also had DS2 pick up some things from Mum's old house that were too big to take on the train, so I have far too much coffee (I ordered it when it was on offer and I wanted to make up the cost of the grocery delivery to avoid paying a surcharge) and a nest of hanging baskets. I also have three bottles of very soft tap water that won't damage my iron - why pay a pound every time I buy a bottle of ironing water when I can have it for free?!

I'm sure I've forgotten some of the things that have gone and some are lessened but still present (like baking ingredients). Here's the list though:
    piece of fabric to my sister
    reed diffuser bottle
    bag of chocolate buttons now empty
    umpteen emails
    a jelly
    two boxes of tea bags
    finished a bottle of vitamins
    2 lids
    a plastic bottle
    3 empty shower gel bottles
    a medicine packet
    6 OOD medicines to chemist
    14 clean empty containers to the eco shop
    a longlife milk (became rice pudding)
    2 bits of paper.

My new total is 1,009.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £2165.33/2,880.00 to 01/08/19. Decluttered in 2019: 1,399/2,019 as of 15/8/19
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 16th Jul 19, 10:48 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    TamsinC
    1080 -1103 catalogues etc to recycling.
    1104 - 1107 plastic recycling to Morrisons
    Originally posted by TamsinC
    1108 - 1120 general recycling

Not much actual decluttering done today. Lots of tidying of the annex where son and his partner are living for the summer before heading back to uni. I listed a few bits of furniture on the local FB sites, a couple are going, a few left still. Will count them once they leave the house. Pulled up a few more of the never ending weeds and got stung by a nettle. Really need to get down to some actual decluttering.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 17th Jul 19, 5:40 AM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 20,621 Thanks
    villagelife
    Some for yesterday

749 an old pair of glasses to recycling bin for glasses.
    750 an old cheque book shredded
    751-752 some ribbon recycled

Well done everyone on your efforts.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 17th Jul 19, 10:15 AM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 19,430 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Woo hoo. I've just returned from a tip run. It feels so good.

I have a new obsession on youtub@. Man Vs carpet. He's an American carpet cleaner and it so addictive and satisfying to watch. I get sadder honestly. I've also been watching videos about the sh@rk stick vacuum. I'm holding out at the moment though.

I've just remembered, DH needs to take the old washer down outside the house for the day and bone man. He will be happy.

Just housework for me today until hospital time. I may try and declutter some weeds when I get back. It's green bin on Friday and I like to put it out full every fortnight. I have plenty to fill it.

Tonight I'm going to attack my t shirt draw. It's long overdue and wouldn't take long.

Anyway back to dragging Henry around and cleaning the kitchen, putting washing out to dry and loading again (if I have enough).

Have a fab day.
    Last edited by parsniphead; 17-07-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    My mini challenge: pay off Yorkshire Bank by 31/10/19 £0/305

£1000 Emergency fund challenge £40/1000

My house WILL be decluttered by 1st December 2019
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 17th Jul 19, 11:24 AM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 22,947 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I've not been buying shampoo, conditioner, body lotion etc for ages and am getting through the ridiculous stockpile I had. It feels good to use it up.
    Originally posted by choille
    I've just caught up on the latest 70-or-so posts on this thread: you are an inspiring lot! I especially relate to the posts be people who are wading through a sea of toiletries. That's me too. I am determined to use up and not waste them, though I did throw out some razors that always got more skin than hair.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Yes, I am the same as you two. I used up a face wash today. I have some hair conditioner that I don't like so I will use that up as shaving gel for my legs.

I threw away some tampons that I found really hard to open. I would like to meet the idiot that invented them!
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Jul 19, 12:31 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 19,703 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I have some hair conditioner that I don't like so I will use that up as shaving gel for my legs.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Now there's an idea! Just when I need to buy shaving gel. Thank you.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £2165.33/2,880.00 to 01/08/19. Decluttered in 2019: 1,399/2,019 as of 15/8/19
    • Picklepot
    • By Picklepot 17th Jul 19, 12:55 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 4,781 Thanks
    Picklepot
    No decluttering as such today.
    However i took all the stuff that ive been listing as 'CS bag in car' to their destination. This is where im sure i have a hoardy gene, as handing the stuff over for me is that last minute i realise
    '' i could take it home i might need it'' moment
    Truly ridiculous i know. But having a father that was a ''collector'' and a mum that declutters and then promptly rebuys i have the odd s stacked against me
    • Picklepot
    • By Picklepot 17th Jul 19, 1:00 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 4,781 Thanks
    Picklepot
    cherry fudge im having much success with unused body lotion for leg shaving too
    Also thanks to those that said bubble bath could be used up as handsoap. No one in our house has noticed thats whats in the downstairs loo liquid soap dispensers and no one has as yet come to harm (itchiness etc)
    • choille
    • By choille 17th Jul 19, 1:20 PM
    • 7,039 Posts
    • 32,658 Thanks
    choille
    195 - 197. 3 things posted.

I do notice a difference upstairs but still have masses to do.
    Originally posted by choille
    202 - 5 things posted which is great. Only little things but it is good to get rid of.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Jul 19, 1:29 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 19,703 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    cherry fudge im having much success with unused body lotion for leg shaving too
    Also thanks to those that said bubble bath could be used up as handsoap. No one in our house has noticed thats whats in the downstairs loo liquid soap dispensers and no one has as yet come to harm (itchiness etc)
    Originally posted by Picklepot
    Top tip.

I used to refill shower gels with bubble bath too - can work out cheaper especially with teens around!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,185Posts Today

6,228Users online

Martin's Twitter