PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    I've realised I've got a bit of a thing for decent curtains! For years I hankered after the type of thickly padded interlined ones you find in upmarket hotels or ones in laura Ashley but could never bring myself to pay the £100s of pounds required to own them. Since discovering cs shopping I've been stunned by the cheap prices some cs ask. My local age uk which is in quite an affluent area charges £6.99 per pair of lined curtains. On numerous occasions and most recently last week I've picked up fabulous pairs. Last weeks pink silk interlined pair are Immaculate. They may replace the none interlined pair currently in dd's bedroom. Recently my sister was commenting on my fab curtains and bemoaning her own. I didn't dare tell her the most I've ever paid for a pair is £10
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Three month quest for bed linen for the spare bedroom ended this week. Lovely thick cotton duck egg duvet set for £5.99. when we don't have guests it's the cat's room so wanted something he could ruin if need be. Looks super.
    Also picked up some big baggy next jeans, a red herring top and a dotty P top and a tunic for £13.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • Laredouter
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Some people might say that £10 is expensive for a charity shop but I think you should put the price you're paying into perspective against the original selling price.
    And I think you've bagged a great bargain. :T
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Original cost £360??! Now that really is a saving.

Thank you. I was pretty delighted, especially since I was going to buy myself some very similar shoes from Sainsbugs after my shift yesterday for near enough the same price.
    Mir! wrote: »
    a pair of brand new black leather ankle boots, (Lorca 2 is the style) with tiny gold zips up the back of the wood effect, stacked high heel and with a discrete gold trim where the sole meets the uppers. According to the box they were a size bigger than I usually take but I tried them on and they were perfect. Then to try to find the price ticket. Could not believe my eyes when I saw it...£9.99! This Oxfam is notorious for overpricing stuff....e.g. asking £3 for a worn Primark t shirt which cost £2.50 new! The assistant said she had only just put them out on sale and that they had been told to expect more Ted Baker items, as last year. Just done a quick Google and found said boots on Amazon selling at £256.38

I love those boots Miro. What an amazing bargain! :beer:
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bobsa1 wrote: »
    I've realised I've got a bit of a thing for decent curtains! For years I hankered after the type of thickly padded interlined ones you find in upmarket hotels or ones in laura Ashley but could never bring myself to pay the £100s of pounds required to own them. Since discovering cs shopping I've been stunned by the cheap prices some cs ask. My local age uk which is in quite an affluent area charges £6.99 per pair of lined curtains. On numerous occasions and most recently last week I've picked up fabulous pairs. Last weeks pink silk interlined pair are Immaculate. They may replace the none interlined pair currently in dd's bedroom. Recently my sister was commenting on my fab curtains and bemoaning her own. I didn't dare tell her the most I've ever paid for a pair is £10

I quite agree with you re the curtains...some great, superb quality bargains to be had. (Just have to remember to check the sides of the curtains for poss sun damage!). A friend of mine inherited his mother's large country house a couple of years ago. Siblings inherited the contents and took everything including curtains and light bulbs!! In the space of about a year I've managed to find enough curtains in the chazzas for almost the whole house and never paid more than £7.50 a pair.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Had a wander around the charity shops in Welling today.
    1 x Pyrex bowl - ideal for suet puddings for the winter. £1
    1 x pair of shorts for hubby
    Didn't find any Pyrex pie dishes.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    Dh and I had a quick look in the £1 hospice shop today whilst 2 dds refused to go in. Dh got yet another suit for work £2 and I spotted a couple of tops I thought dd aged 14 might like. One was a maison scotch not a designer I'd heard of, with nes pas (sp) on the front and a sleeveless Hawaiian t shirt. A quick face time to the car and the items were seemed acceptable. I then got her a pair of dark denim skinny jeans by wallis. On checking the retail price of the items I found the exact top for £80 and similar jeans for £32! I felt very proud of my £1 bargains and dd did look very nice in them. I then popped in to Sue Ryder and was undecided about a fab set of 24 pieces of bright orange Melware cups plates and bowls. They were priced at £5 . I left them on the shelf but 20mins later I rang the shop and asked if they could put them aside for me and they very kindly agreed
  • PerfectChristmas
    Options
    Ah I remember the days of not wanting to be seen inside Charity Shops as a teen - and to think most of what we had was gotten out of them(!)

Bought a superduper long - must be approx 50 inches - padded winter coat today from our Women's Aid charity shop for a fiver today. Bargain! :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yesterday was a day of wants and not needs. I remain on the prowl for a metal scoop for popcorns but instead picked up a couple of stainless steel fruit peelers for 50p - I reasoned that it would make it easier to engage help in peeling the pears when our glut finally arrives!

Also - unusually for me - I walked out with an outfit for £5: a dotty sheer blouse which will always look smart, and a BN pair of black jeans (when I find my size and length, I don't look a gift horse in the mouth).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yesterday I got 5 x Mason Cash oval pie dishes for £2, a BN and boxed M&S Italian leather credit card holder for £2.49, I bought it to put all my loyalty cards in mainly as the plastic one I bought several years ago is in bits.

I also got a BNWT Crane winter cycling jersey, now this wasn't particularly cheap, the tag price is £8.99 and I paid £4.50 but it is exactly what I wanted, fluro pink and fleecy on the inside, they sell used on ebay at near or more than the original price so I was very pleased. It is a size 16-18 and I am a 12 and it fits just right so you can imagine why it ended up donated.

My bargain of the day though was a pair of Victoria's Secret Knockout capris, they look unworn and still have that new fabric smell, they are still on the website at £55:eek:, I paid £3.99. Tried them on last night and they really do feel like a quality item.

Also bought a metal framed rocking deck chair with a blue and white fabric seat for £5 and a pair of antibacterial football socks BNIB for £1.99.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Yesterday was a day of wants and not needs. I remain on the prowl for a metal scoop for popcorns

Ha! I saw several metal sweetie scoops yesterday but of course I didn't want them.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure