Santas challenge 2017

Options

Comments

• crazy-cat-lady_2
    Options
    Few more bits to go away. A Facebook bargains group showed B&M were selling all their Christmas stock for either 10p or £1. So we got some crackers (already got 2 boxes!), letter to santa kits, window stickers and few other bits. Grand total of £1.30 :)
    I’ve been very well behaved in the sales this year. I usually go nuts in boots on gift sets and end up with so many I do t need or use. So only got a few this time. I’ll maybe get a few bits in the 79% if anything is left. Got a few more toys to put away for my daughter for birthday and Christmas but I need to calm down. This time was far too much.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CCL-I know what you mean. Even though Ive got bits cheap, used up the last of the gift cards, managed to get some really nice items cheap or for free with points that will have me sorted for birthdays, with doing stuff for my DM aswell I feel all shopped out like I've gone overboard. I've kept a record of everything spent and savings made so might add up the birthday ones tonight.
    Unfortunately I need major surgery this year that will knock me out of action for 4/6 months so in many ways I am glad that have bought the items. I've found that I haven't bought so much from B@@ts this year.
    The necklace from Lisa Ange/ for DD birthday arrived today. Really lovely. I don't think I would have paid the full price of £9 for it, but £2.40 with free postage-bargain!!!!

Chanie-I don't think you are sounding ungrateful at all. To make matters worse the trainers DB bought have swear words all over them. DD is on a talent performance pathway with GB and its all about positive image and creating the right impression. If DD wore the trainers they would have a fit. It's such a waste esp when I gave DB some ideas of things DD would like but they obviously had their own ideas. DD said she was happy with all of the presents she had this year, people had obviously thought about what she would like/need but did say the only duff present were the trainers
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've been reading a lot of the posts I've missed over the past few months although I didn't quite catch up even though I read about 5 pages!

Katiehound - sorry to read you had to cancel your dream cruise due to ill health. Thank goodness your neighbours from hell have gone. My friend that does all the Christmas food shopping and stays for 9 days has had nothing but problems since she moved into her new flat, it's like it's been jinxed or on a ley line and neighbours was part of the issue, the other is non stop mixups with utilities.

I hope you have had a peaceful time lately with the neighbours gone.

Mum2one, yes it's a good idea to stick to this thread instead of a new one for 2018. Have you recovered from your trips to Agadir and Prague? Did you do as many presents as you've done in the past?

Happy Kitties - I'm curious about the chocolate block for DD's b/f especially if you had a voucher towards it, must have been something very special. How did you manage with the relatives that threatened to visit you at a very inopportune day just before Christmas? Thank goodness your turkey survived the cats. Glad you enjoyed Prague.

Chanie - what's the knack with the travel mugs? I've had many a drama when they've spilled including all over my bedside cabinet and down the side of my bed. What was everyone's verdict on your home made Christmas pudding?

Crazy-cat-lady - Did your little girl ask if it's the same Santa after seeing so many different ones during the Christmassy visits?

I found an elf sitting on my windowsill in the carport by the front door lol my friend put it there. We spent Christmas week with my boys at home and visiting my parents and we stayed in NYE.

I don't think there were any disasters only that as usual friend had overbought cheese (enough for an army) and too much alcohol and also too much cream - there was brandy butter, brandy cream, clotted cream, brandy liqueur and creme freche. She said that last one was a mistake as assumed it was another clotted cream which she likes and didn't have glasses on.
  • crazy-cat-lady_2
    Options
    Anglea wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Crazy-cat-lady - Did your little girl ask if it's the same Santa after seeing so many different ones during the Christmassy visits?

Thankfully not. Still too small to question it. I’m sure it won’t be too far off. I’m ready with the usual excuse.

Santa is too busy to be EVERYWHERE himself. He sends his elves dressed as him to help and report back.
    :)
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    Anglea wrote: »
    Chanie - what's the knack with the travel mugs? I've had many a drama when they've spilled including all over my bedside cabinet and down the side of my bed. What was everyone's verdict on your home made Christmas pudding?

I think travel mugs are designed to keep drinks hot, not spill proof. You can get spill proof ones, but the ones I saw were expensive. I totally sympathise, as I have spilt mine everywhere.

Pudding was nice, but I’m the only ones who eats it.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Hi Anglea great to see you posting.

I'm sure the chocolate block was hotel chocolat that I bought from the local garden centre. They have an award winning restaurant,farm shop and a loyalty card scheme where the more you spend the more you get on your money off coupon. Even if you don't spend you still get a £1 voucher and coupons for offers on food, free drinks.They always do a fantastic Christmas display and section so DD and I always go up for a look, free cuppa and that's when I found the chocolate.
    The relatives I dodged and stayed longer at best friend's house. Turned out(which I didn't know) that they wanted to stay until after midnight and then drive to catch the ferry. would have left my house in a state aswell. DM was more than happy to have them as it meant a house full and company for her. She even stayed up with them which I couldn't have done.
    Prague better than last year. Usual gingerbread but a challenge to get a giant bauble back that DD wanted as a present. We managed to do it!
    My poor turkey was nearly a gonna!!
  • chanie
    Options
    Just a quickie from me.

My local Sainsburys had some items reduced for their sale that would make good xmas present (all half price)
    Slipper boots £4
    Woolly gloves £4
    Socks with penguins etc
    Pjs

I didn’t buy anything - I bought the slipper boots in the sale a few years ago and they were well received, but I didn’t know who I could give them to this year.
  • chanie
    Options
    I have written down a list of ‘what I have learned’ from previous christmasses to help keep me prepared, which I thought I would share:

- ensure I have enough Christmas ‘store cupboard’ items like sticky tape, wrapping paper, gift bags.

- check items are in working order when they are purchased. This includes anything that is delicate.

- keep receipts in a safe place in case the item is reduced after Xmas - return and repurchase at the lower price.

- check the children’s items in advance for instructions and batteries so that they can be prepared in advance.

- practical items for the children are handy, even if they don see them as ‘presents’ - water bottles, blankets, umbrellas, lunch boxes etc.

- sort out January birthday along with Christmas stuff (I have a few birthdays in early january and I’m so behind)

- buy the children’s christmas cards for their class early and ensure they arent being written the day before they break up from school.

- remember where presents are hidden

- put some of the stocking fillers under tree as extra presents.

- start stocking up on Xmas food along with the weekly food shop
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Chanie I definitely agree with your last post.

For me
    *remembering where presents are hidden and having enough sellotape are high on my list.

*the stocking up on Christmas food with the weekly shop has worked really well for me this year. I didn't go overboard but have plenty in lasting me so saving monies on the grocery bill.

*keep everything logged down.....it's the only way I can do it and feel in control. It's almost like a bullet journal the way I do it. I keep a log of what I have spent and monies saved...keeps me accountable plus I can check that I am not repeating a present for the person from previous years

*preparing for DD birthday in Feb as I am preparing for Christmas.......problem is now DD is older it is becoming increasingly difficult. Presents bought for Christmas now tend to be practical ones to last DD all year so birthday is becoming a nightmare and involving money. So i'm trying to make sure that I've budgeted to give money for DD birthday without leaving me short with Christmas aswell

*keep buying paper in the sales. The packs I buy have a plain metallic roll in them......handy for birthdays.

*keep sending the presents and cards I need to send early December. It was a nightmare when I kept having to go to the post office for DD when I had done all my postings

*jot down in journal if I hear of any wants/ needs useful for present ideas. DM declared this year that she is completely fed up of being bought pyjamas and she is snowed under with them. Relieved that I didn't buy her pyjamas!!

can't think of anything else for now
  • chanie
    Options
    I bought DD some pjs for Xmas and I couldn’t find them at Christmas. As we don’t have lots of storage, the majority of items are kept in 1 or 2 places, but I couldn’t find them anywhere. It turns out, they’d fallen out of the back of the drawer I’d put them in. At least I found them before she grew out of them.

Happy kitties I have a similar approach to you in how I record Xmas. I keep a log of what I’ve bought and how much it costs. This year, I’ve done it proper ‘bullet journal style’ and I’ve drawn gift boxes for everyone and I’m going to colour them in and add bows etc as I complete their gifts. I also have a page for gift ideas.
    I’m going to keep a list specifically for gift ideas for OH so that I can point people in the right direction. He gets bought lots of generic man gifts, which end up in the charity shop, so it will be nice for him if I can help facilitate some good gifts for him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure