Options

Comments

• sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ses6jwg wrote: »
    Ridiculous assertion.

A guy my mate knows used to work in a digestive factory they all come off the same conveyor belt some into branded and some into own-brand packets.

But with regards to meat I would agree.

Exactly, l live near a canning factory and most of the value peas/mushy peas are the same as premium ones.

In fact lots of things there are, the jam, spaghetti, tinned veg it hardly differs from premium to value. The only difference is baked beans the value ones are rubbish.

Happy moneysaving all.
  • Charliezoo
    Charliezoo Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2009 at 2:10PM
    Options
    pelirocco wrote: »
    I'm sorry , but why are you surprised ? stuff is cheap for a reason

I guess I'm not necessarily surprised but some of this stuff is so bad its not even edible. I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near as good as a quality branded item but would expect to be able to eat it without gagging!

Its actually quite useful to know what economy stuff is good and what should be avoided at all costs, after all it maybe cheap but if its going in the bin anyway because its vile I'd rather spend a bit more on something that's not going to be wasted. Then again there's some really good Basics/Smart Price, etc stuff which is almost if not just as good as the premium brands.
  • LoneRifle
    Options
    Avoid the value mince from any supermarket - the fat content in there is too high, and being mince, probably gives them license to put in less desirable things. However I will have to disagree with others here and say that generally, so long as you can see the cut of meat for yourself, value meats are fine.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I don't buy any meat from a supermarket my butchers do a great job, have to disagree with theposter who says Value beans are rubbish we like them here!
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dizzybuff wrote: »
    Mice and tuna for me are butchers and fishmonghers... barginins and fresh

Yum yum, do give me your butcher name, I want mice ! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • carrie2402
    Options
    I buy quite a few asda smart price things like the curry sauce, strawberry jam (no bits in it), the tinned custard which my kids love and find they are ok, have bought their own frozen mince for tea tonight and smart price bolognese sauce, first time so hope it is ok
  • Jadek
    Jadek Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sassyblue wrote: »
    The only difference is baked beans the value ones are rubbish.
    I'm completely the opposite I think branded beans are rubbish and prefer supermarkets own brand/value brand ones, purely because I find the premium ones far too sweet and sickly.
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    carrie2402 wrote: »
    I buy quite a few asda smart price things like the curry sauce, strawberry jam (no bits in it), the tinned custard which my kids love and find they are ok, have bought their own frozen mince for tea tonight and smart price bolognese sauce, first time so hope it is ok

If it is the value mince, honestly, DO NOT feed that to your kids.
  • carrie2402
    Options
    No its not the value one, its the Asda own one not the green and white bag
  • costapkt
    costapkt Posts: 428 Forumite
    Options
    In the old days rubbish meat would go to the pig swill bin, nowadays they class it as fit for humans and get money for it. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure