Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 2nd Jul 19, 10:10 AM
    • 3,689Posts
    • 6,916Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Change of name - reaction of parents
    • 2nd Jul 19, 10:10 AM
    Change of name - reaction of parents 2nd Jul 19 at 10:10 AM
    Would just like some independent perspective on this, as my parents' (well, mother's) reaction has taken me by surprise.

At birth my name was 'Trailing A'
    Following my first marriage, I became 'Trailing B-C' (it was a hyphenated surname)
    When we split up/got divorced I dropped the hyphen and became 'Trailing C'
    Following my second marriage I became 'Trailing D'

My second husband and I have recently separated, and I have no wish to keep his name. I have changed my name by Deed Poll to 'Trailing E'.

E was previously my middle name, and is a family surname.

I expected my parents to be a bit surprised. But my mother is actually angry about it. She thinks I should have gone back to my maiden name, Trailing A. I did think about doing this, but as I was quite young when I married the first time, the person that I remember with that name isn't the person I am now. Whereas my middle name has been with me all of my life, through thick and thin. I also simply prefer it as a name.

She tells me that my father is angry too - although he's never said anything to me about it.

I can't decide if she's more angry with me - or with him for not 'sticking up for the family name'. She says I've insulted them. I tried to point out that the name I've chosen is a family name too (in fact it's her family name) - but it makes no difference. Bizarrely, she'd have been happier if I'd kept the name of the man who left me!!

So - the deed is done now, my name is changed. But does my mother have a point? And moving forward, how can I help her to see that it was never intended as an insult to anyone but is simply my choice?
Page 3
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 6th Jul 19, 12:52 PM
    • 36,980 Posts
    • 22,817 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Make sure your executor knows every name you have ever used, they may need an extension sheet for the forms.
    • Halfie
    • By Halfie 15th Jul 19, 3:14 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    Halfie
    Could you have surname A as your middle name? I did this after I got divorced but didn't want to go back to Halfie A B so changed to Halfie B A
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 16th Jul 19, 9:09 AM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    MEM62
    I did think about doing this, but as I was quite young when I married the first time, the person that I remember with that name isn't the person I am now.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    There is probably more of that person left than you realise. I do not believe that we become different people, rather that we just evolve a little with age and life experience. I too have evolved over the years but still have the same name - but then I am male and also proud to bear my family name.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

1,300Users online

Martin's Twitter