Claiming child benefit guide discussion area

Comments

• dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    A friend of mine missed out on a year of it as she didn’t know about it. I’m really surprised it’s not more known/ given in the gumph of leaflets you get from everywhere
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • funkyjams
    funkyjams Posts: 5 Forumite
    Quick question. We claim child benefit & because I earn over £60k I do a self assessment in Jan and pay nearly all of it back again. The assessment bill was always a bit of a hefty nightmare to pay, so a couple of years ago I spoke to HMRC who adjusted my tax code (I think?) so the benefit was recouped over the year, and my self assessment is generally about zero now.
    A couple of months ago we separated and I am now renting a house on my own, while my wife is still getting the child benefit. Am I still responsible for paying this back at the end of the tax year? Or does this change of our situation mean I won't need to pay it back. In which case, can HMRC adjust my code so I'm not paying for it every month? And I guess in the future I won't need to do a self assessment..? Which would be nice...

Thanks
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    funkyjams wrote: »
    Quick question. We claim child benefit & because I earn over £60k I do a self assessment in Jan and pay nearly all of it back again. The assessment bill was always a bit of a hefty nightmare to pay, so a couple of years ago I spoke to HMRC who adjusted my tax code (I think?) so the benefit was recouped over the year, and my self assessment is generally about zero now.
    A couple of months ago we separated and I am now renting a house on my own, while my wife is still getting the child benefit. Am I still responsible for paying this back at the end of the tax year? Or does this change of our situation mean I won't need to pay it back. In which case, can HMRC adjust my code so I'm not paying for it every month? And I guess in the future I won't need to do a self assessment..? Which would be nice...

Thanks

Yes, you're still responsible. You can even be hit with the charge for a child that is not your own.

BTW if your adjusted net income is 60k or over, you need to repay 100% of it.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    If are legally separated you can forward proof to the Child Benefit Office who will amend their records.
  • username901
    username901 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Not currently claiming CB. Have 3 kids (have claimed in past but not for past 2 years) In tax year 2018-2019 I earned £70k, 2019-2020 wife and I will earn £50k exactly, can we claim CB now or does it go via the previous year's earnings so I need to wait till next April?
  • Eagles1905
    Eagles1905 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Quick question, am I entitled to anything? Single Father, paying child maintenance for 3 x weekends per month (2 overnight stays) Work full time, pay my way for everything and do not currently receive any assistance other than single occupancy council tax allowance. Is there a way I can asses anything? I'm in a national average salary job and to be honest, its tight each month.
    “It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.”
  • sheramber
    Not currently claiming CB. Have 3 kids (have claimed in past but not for past 2 years) In tax year 2018-2019 I earned £70k, 2019-2020 wife and I will earn £50k exactly, can we claim CB now or does it go via the previous year's earnings so I need to wait till next April?

It goes on current year's income of the highest paid so you can claim now. Payments can only be back dated 3 months.
  • sheramber
    Eagles1905 wrote: »
    Quick question, am I entitled to anything? Single Father, paying child maintenance for 3 x weekends per month (2 overnight stays) Work full time, pay my way for everything and do not currently receive any assistance other than single occupancy council tax allowance. Is there a way I can asses anything? I'm in a national average salary job and to be honest, its tight each month.

Child benefit is paid the parent that the child lives with , Only one person can claim the benefit.
  • I am the highest earner between me and my husband. My annual earnings are above the £50,000 CB threshold. This is our only child. This tax year, my earnings will be lower than the £50,000 CB threshold as I have been on mat leave. I have been receiving the full CB amount as I won’t be liable for the tax charge due to my earnings being lower for the 2019/20 tax year. Am I right in thinking I won’t be liable this year?

When I return back to work in April, I’ll be in a new tax year and will be above the threshold so I guess I just notify HMRC and either have the benefits stopped or completed a self assessment. Can someone help or confirm this?
  • yes that's right.
    Does your husband earn enough to pay full national insurance contributions?
    Mar 24 - Mortgage Balance £249,794.45
    Credit Card - £8,182.23 + £4,731.65
    Goals: Mortgage Free by 2035, Give up full time work once Mortgage Free, Ensure I have a pension income of £20k per year from 2035

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback