Ebay item delivered to neighbour who won't return it

13»

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,297 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    custardy wrote: »
    and do what do most people say when they sign. oh it looks nothing like my signature.
    They sign to save time. people want cheaper and cheaper carriers. couriers are asked/expected to do more and more on their runs.
    These things save time.
    If you have ever had to deal with the general public signing these machines you would see what a faff many make of it.

You seem to hold a lot of weight on the signature. I don't.
    Although my parcel sig is not my sig but a distinct mark I make so its clear if it was me or not.

Doesnt this make as much sense?

I put a lot of weight on people and companies doing what they promised and sold. I have no problem at all with shipping methods, with or without tracking, which do not promise a signature. But I do have a problem with courier companies selling 'signed for' services so cheaply that they can only happen by cutting corners and not actually being signed for. I have a problem with people forging my signature under any circumstances, and I have a problem with the couriers on the ground being pushed into forgery.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • What courier is it? Can you find a landline number for the local depot online?

Although you don't have a contract with the courier if you can get hold of the local depot they are usually helpful.

If it was Hermes forget the above.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    theoretica wrote: »
    I put a lot of weight on people and companies doing what they promised and sold. I have no problem at all with shipping methods, with or without tracking, which do not promise a signature. But I do have a problem with courier companies selling 'signed for' services so cheaply that they can only happen by cutting corners and not actually being signed for. I have a problem with people forging my signature under any circumstances, and I have a problem with the couriers on the ground being pushed into forgery.

You may have a problem but that is the reality. Keep in mind I'm talking for companies I have never worked for here.
    Though I know guys in the trade for various carriers and times get tighter and tighter.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OP, unless I've misread the posts your headline is misleading. I don't think you are suggesting that your neighbour has received the parcel and is refusing to hand it over.

Isn't the problem that the carrier claims to have delivered it to a neighbour and the suspicion is that the delivery driver has delivered it goodness knows where or not at all.
  • martindow wrote: »
    OP, unless I've misread the posts your headline is misleading. I don't think you are suggesting that your neighbour has received the parcel and is refusing to hand it over.

Isn't the problem that the carrier claims to have delivered it to a neighbour and the suspicion is that the delivery driver has delivered it goodness knows where or not at all.

Update - I successfully claimed my money back on appeal with Ebay at the end of last week after they ruled that the seller could not prove that the courier had delivered the item to my address.

However......at the weekend my neighbour came round to hand me a soggy box which her husband had found thrown over the garden gate at my other next door neighbours property whom were on holiday and had noticed the box when he had gone round to tend to the plants in their back garden in their absence.

Do I now return the item if the seller has made a claim against their courier for losing the package?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Update - I successfully claimed my money back on appeal with Ebay at the end of last week after they ruled that the seller could not prove that the courier had delivered the item to my address.

However......at the weekend my neighbour came round to hand me a soggy box which her husband had found thrown over the garden gate at my other next door neighbours property whom were on holiday and had noticed the box when he had gone round to tend to the plants in their back garden in their absence.

Do I now return the item if the seller has made a claim against their courier for losing the package?

Of course you return it, or at least make it available for seller or courier to collect. No doubt seller will be struggling anyway to get a refund from courier .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If Hermes don't help you, you can try escalating via Resolver.
  • Update - I successfully claimed my money back on appeal with Ebay at the end of last week after they ruled that the seller could not prove that the courier had delivered the item to my address.

Did your refund come from eBay's pocket or the seller?

If it was the seller then advise them it's finally been found and can be collected.

If it was eBay's money I doubt they'll want it and you can probably keep it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure