Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier

Comments

• Is it still the case that I would have to sign up via the phone to use a direct debit payment?
    If I do this, I assume I will not get the MSE cashback as the sign up will not be via the site?
    And if I don't, I won't get my Santander 123 account cashback on the direct debit.
    Either way, it makes you even more expensive (you already are more expensive than the cheapest deals) and makes it a deal breaker.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mattcpb wrote: »
    Is it still the case that I would have to sign up via the phone to use a direct debit payment?
    If I do this, I assume I will not get the MSE cashback as the sign up will not be via the site?
    And if I don't, I won't get my Santander 123 account cashback on the direct debit.
    Either way, it makes you even more expensive (you already are more expensive than the cheapest deals) and makes it a deal breaker.

Just searched for Bulb on the CEC. Had to look a very,very long way down the list to find them. Their Vari-fair tariff was the first one I found.

The CEC allows me to switch via them and payment is via monthly DD.

If you click the 'switch & get cashback" button on the CEC, you should see it for yourself too :)
    (It forwards you to MoneySuperMarket.com to make the application as that is the accredited switching site the CEC uses)
  • footyguy wrote: »
    Just searched for Bulb on the CEC. Had to look a very,very long way down the list to find them. Their Vari-fair tariff was the first one I found.

The CEC allows me to switch via them and payment is via monthly DD.

If you click the 'switch & get cashback" button on the CEC, you should see it for yourself too :)
    (It forwards you to MoneySuperMarket.com to make the application as that is the accredited switching site the CEC uses)

Thanks, just tried this and can see that there are direct debit details to fill in.
    When I look through the list on the CEC they are about 5th for me, not too much more than the cheapest - so considering them for the renewable energy aspect.
  • Will_at_Bulb
    Will_at_Bulb Posts: 60 Organisation Representative
    Thanks footyguy, you're absolutely right. Anyone who joins Bulb through MSE will have their payments set up via Direct Debit.
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Bulb. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
  • Merry_Mawkin
    Merry_Mawkin Posts: 33
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Beware if you switch with MSE you only get back £30 which I think is very small so switch by going elsewhere.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Beware if you switch with MSE you only get back £30 which I think is very small so switch by going elsewhere.
    :huh:

Surely you can only get the MSE collective switch by going via MSE (or MoneySuperMarket.com)
  • Merry_Mawkin
    Merry_Mawkin Posts: 33
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 10 May 2017 at 8:13PM
    If you switch by being recommend by a Bulb account holder you both get £50 as a welcome

I was going to send you a PM footyguy on how to do it but you have blocked all PMs.
  • icharus
    icharus Posts: 103 Forumite
    I went to switch to Bulb and found part way through that I woud be charged almost £100 pa extra because I appear to have an IGT.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 May 2017 at 1:08PM
    If you switch by being recommend by a Bulb account holder you both get £50 as a welcome

I was going to send you a PM footyguy on how to do it but you have blocked all PMs.

Feel free to explain in this thread how one applies through a referral link and still get the MSE collective tariff.
    No reason to keep it secret if it's all above board :)
    (Do not post any referral links here)

As far as I know, if you go through a referral link, you only get the options of generally available (expensive) bulb tariffs
    You can only get the MSE collective tariff by applying via the CEC or MoneySuperMarket.com, where you cannot add a referral link as well.
    You get a possible £30 cashback via the CEC anyway, and hopefully the collective tariff saves you at least £20 over any of the regular Bulb tariffs.

As always, consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you. That needs to be the CEC (or their parent company) to get the collective tariff included in the list ... but be prepared to look a long way down to find bulb. Even MSE has to include the possible cashback on top of the collective tariff to make it cometitive for an average user.

In regards to possible cashback, I would refer to MSE's own 5 rules,
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cashback-websites

in particular
    1. Think of cashback as a bonus only – it's not guaranteed
    The cashback isn't yours until it's in your bank account
    and
    4. Focus on the cheapest deal, not the biggest cashback
  • karl_a
    karl_a Posts: 23 Forumite
    I applied to switch to Bulb via the MSE Cheap Energy Club on the 26 April.
    Should I have received an email/letter from them by now? All I've had is the initial MSE one saying my switch was in progress.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback