weezl and friends Phase 4 - recipe testing christmas treats!

Hi all,

This thread is for people who would like to test our Christmas meals. Any friends of the project who would like to do this are more than welcome. :)

Aless is following with more info :)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
:)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40

Comments

• aless02
    aless02 Posts: 5,119 Forumite
    Hello all! Here is the link to the new Christmas planner:

http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/planner-christmasweek.html?opt=pc

:xmastree::rudolf::santa2:

From there you can find the week's plan, recipe links, plus a few standalone recipes for those wanting an extra treat. Nomnomnom!
    top 2013 wins: iPad, £50 dental care, £50 sportswear, £50 Nectar GC, £300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, £25 Morrisons, £50 Loch Fyne

would like to win a holiday, please!!
    :xmassmile Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12! :j
  • :santa2: Hi everybody!
    56 sleeps until Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hurrah for this lovely shiny new thread too.

Cannot wait to get testing and see how everybody gets on with the Christmas recipes. Exciting times! :)
    Money paid out from Topcashback so far= £105.89 :j
    No buying magazines in 2011 Challenge- Number bought to date= 0 :)

• p.s I have just added the chocolate brownie ingredients to my shopping list for the coming week, so will be testing those. Can't wait!

Am also going to make the tomato houmous again this week as it has become a firm favourite here :T

What is everyone else going to try out? :)
    Money paid out from Topcashback so far= £105.89 :j
    No buying magazines in 2011 Challenge- Number bought to date= 0 :)

• Lesley_Gaye
    Lesley_Gaye Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2010 at 10:14AM
    I have tried the brownies (amongst other things) pinkhayley, they are truly scrummy. I reduced the sugar tho to 250g, didn't increase the flour or anything else. However, my tin is 23cm'ish square, so that prob made up for slightly less mixture

hooray for shiny new thread
  • artybear
    artybear Posts: 978 Forumite
    I think I have made quite a few of the Christmas recipes already, have done the salmon, toad in the hole, brownies, and the sausage and potato salad. We have enjoyed them all. Unfortunately I cant test the main meal on Sunday due to some family things but will do it next week I think.

Remember lots and lots and lots of photos people :-) Maybe we can put them on facebook then.

xxx
    In art as in love, instinct is enough
    Anatole France

Things are beautiful if you love them
    Jean Anouilh
  • Allegra
    Allegra Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    Ohhhh a shiny new thread ! :) :T :j

I am aiming to test everything, although as it turns out, it might not exactly be at all the right times and in all the right order - today's breakfast already is down the virtual pan due to circumstances, and not at all sure about the lunch as yet.

However, at the moment am still confident that dinner will happen as planned, so fingers crossed for CFR toad ;)
  • Apricot
    Apricot Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    So toad in the hole tonight - I have never actually made this before so am looking forward to it (except the sprouts!)! Seems like proper comfort food when the weather is so awful outside!
    :happylove DD July 2011:happylove

Aug 13 [STRIKE]£4235.19[/STRIKE]:eek: £2550.00 :cool:
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 October 2010 at 12:02PM
    Hi everyone :)

As I said on the other thread, we will follow the Xmas week tweaking recipes where we have to accomodate veggie requirement. We are two adults (one male, one female) and two young girls (currently ill with chicken pox! :O so all the soup and fave foods like sausage and hummus should go down well.) This is how our adapted plan looks so far:

23rd Dec
    B: Waffles + cinnamon syrup
    L: French onion soup (also making tomato swirls at DD's request but they do use Shirley ingredients)
    D: Sausage casserole + wedges instead of toad in the hole

24th Dec
    B: Fruity pancakes
    L: Tomato hummus on toast
    D: Pasta with chick peas and greens instead of smoked salmon

Xmas Day
    B: French toast and veg sausage
    L: Mushroom soup. Cashew and Cranberry nutroast from planner with roast potatoes, carrots, sprouts, fruity gravy and stuffing (no york pud). Xmas pud (will try without egg) with white sauce
    D: French onion soup + garlic croutons

Boxing Day
    B: Waffles and cinnamon syrup
    D: Fry-up (or hash or fritters if want to sound a bit posher ;) ) using up nutroast with carrots and wedges instead of spanish omlette

27th Dec
    L: Avocado and Marie Rose sandwiches instead of egg mayo
    D: Spaghetti aglio e peperoncino

28th Dec
    L: Veg soup
    D: Tortillas with tomato-chilli sauce + leftover veg with guacamole instead of leftover pork in sauce (might make this into an enchilada bake)

29th Dec
    L: French onion soup
    D: Veg sausage and potato salad

For the snacks, I will see if I can include dates and brazils - ETA and peanuts :D -on the adapted shopping budget/list (will post this later on). The brownies will be made to our own recipe and the yule log i will have to fashion a log shape out of a loaf cake and cover with vegan butter cream as I don't know any recipe that will give a light enough sponge to roll without eggs

Good luck with the testing everyone! :) xx
    Love and compassion to all x
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Boodle wrote: »
    Hi everyone :)

As I said on the other thread, we will follow the Xmas week tweaking recipes where we have to accomodate veggie requirement. We are two adults (one male, one female) and two young girls (currently ill with chicken pox! :O so all the soup and fave foods like sausage and hummus should go down well.) This is how our adapted plan looks so far:

23rd Dec
    B: Waffles + cinnamon syrup
    L: French onion soup (also making tomato swirls at DD's request but they do use Shirley ingredients)
    D: Sausage casserole + wedges instead of toad in the hole

24th Dec
    D: Pasta with chick peas and greens instead of smoked salmon

Xmas Day
    B: French toast and veg sausage
    L: Mushroom soup. Cashew and Cranberry nutroast from planner with roast potatoes, carrots, sprouts, fruity gravy and stuffing (no york pud). Xmas pud (will try without egg) with white sauce
    D: French onion soup + garlic croutons

Boxing Day
    D: Fry-up (or hash or fritters if want to sound a bit posher ;) ) using up nutroast with carrots and wedges instead of spanish omlette

27th Dec
    L: Avocado and Marie Rose sandwiches instead of egg mayo
    D: Spaghetti aglio e peperoncino

28th Dec
    L: Veg soup
    D: Tortillas with tomato-chilli sauce + leftover veg with guacamole instead of leftover pork in sauce (might make this into an enchilada bake)

29th Dec
    L: French onion soup
    D: Veg sausage and potato salad

For the snacks, I will see if I can include dates and brazils - ETA and peanuts :D -on the adapted shopping budget/list (will post this later on). The brownies will be made to our own recipe and the yule log i will have to fashion a log shape out of a loaf cake and cover with vegan butter cream as I don't know any recipe that will give a light enough sponge to roll without eggs

Good luck with the testing everyone! :) xx
    Booodle! Yay! I'm sorry I forgot to pop you on my list of who's doing the planner, thanks for reminding me :) Shanks and allegra will really enjoy having your company, as will more of us on sun :) All your adaptions sound fab, I can't wait to see your ingreds list!

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Booodle! Yay! I'm sorry I forgot to pop you on my list of who's doing the planner, thanks for reminding me :) Shanks and allegra will really enjoy having your company, as will more of us on sun :)

Hi Weezl :) That's fine - takes a lot to huff me :P TBH, I find it very difficult to keep up with the threads but will try my utmost to keep up to date this week. Hopefully the girls will sleep quite a bit to recover in the next couple of days (one can but hope.)

Onion soup is reducing nicely and tastes yummy so far (I used 3 tbsp yeast extract instead of a stock cube) and I even dunked a tomato swirl in the pan (:o) which was delish...
    Love and compassion to all x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport