PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Your favourite cookbooks

I spotted a new book in the shops, "The Ration Book Diet" which was quite tempting but I'll put it on my Amazon Wishlist and wait for Santa. I try not to buy full price cookbooks :)

I recommend https://www.abebooks.co.uk if you are trying to find out of print books, you can order through Greasypalm and get cashback. Otherwise I got most of mine as hand-me-downs or from charity shops.

I've got some that are designed with economy in mind, and some that teach you the basics so you can cook anything without resorting to packaged food. Here's my list:

Jocasta Innes "Pauper's Cookbook" ISBN:0140461647. Has useful tips on Programmed Eating, the idea is that you only cook once a week and eat lots of disguised leftovers.

Bernadine Lawrence "How to feed your family for £5 a day" ISBN 0722525710. Uber economy, she makes her own bread and everything. Personally I'd spend £5.05 per day and allow myself a cup of tea!

"Get Stuffed" 9781852834043 - based on the TV show. Aimed at students, most of the recipes have cheap ingredients and don't require elaborate equipment.

Marguerite Patten "500 recipes for families" ISBN 0600034003 - My mum gave me this when I left home. Really basic recipes including scrambled eggs!

Gladys Man "Good meals on a small budget" this overlaps with the Marguerite Patten book, they are part of the same series

Audrey Ellis "Budget Cookery Book" ISBN 090423035

Cas Clarke writes books aimed at students ie "Grub on a Grant"

There's the classic Katharine Whitehorn "Cooking in a bedsitter"

The Be-Ro book available from here: http://www.be-ro.com/about.htm

Can anyone else suggest their favourite cookbooks with economy in mind?

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have both the original Paupers Cookbook and the updated one, personally I prefer the original, she's trying too hard in the new one I think.

I have around 80 cookbooks but my personal favourite is Cooking on a Shoestring. It has some brilliant recipes for those more 'unpopular' cuts of meat and offall that you can get for pennies from butchers nowadays.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    Cas Clarke also did a follow up book "Peckish but Poor" for when you are cooking as a couple, and also a family one (for those with young children) but haven't managed to find a cheap version yet!
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We too hoard cookbooks. Some are used regularly, some I've no idea why I bought them, and others like my Bero Cookbook, and my 1970's TV Farmhouse Kitchen Collection, and my 1960's New World Gas Cooker Cook Book I keep for sentimental reasons.

For everyday cookery I would recomend "The Dairy Book of Home Cookery" I'm on my second copy cos I wore the first one out.
    Deilia's Cookery Course is also well battered and well worth a thumb through when you are confronted with a freebie crop of unusual vegetable and don't know what to do with it.
    I've also got three ring files (Savoury - Sweet - Entertaining) of clipped recipes from over a decade of "Good Food Magazine".

Not one of them tells me how to make fish fingers interesting!
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Ooooh thanks for the link for the Be-ro Book! Been meaning to get a new one for ages...mine used to belong to my gran so is very dog-eared now. Pity you have to buy it now! :(
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    MATH wrote:

Stick them between two slices of bread, and add a big dollop of Salad Cream. Yum.

My favourite Cookery Book is Good Housekeeping Step-By-Step Cookbook. It had loads of pictures - I need pictures.
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the fish finger recipe! Nigella Lawson better look to her laurals :)
    I find cookery books with pictures give loved-ones unrealistic expectations of what they are getting for tea, so I avoid them or I paste a piccy of pot-noodle over each photo so they're not dissapointed. heheheh
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    MATH wrote:
    Thanks for the fish finger recipe! Nigella Lawson better look to her laurals :)
    I find cookery books with pictures give loved-ones unrealistic expectations of what they are getting for tea, so I avoid them or I paste a piccy of pot-noodle over each photo so they're not dissapointed. heheheh

My 'loved-one' has never even cooked me a pot noodle before - I'm sure he would burn it if he tried. lol

Oh to have married a chef.

Wish I had a domestic god like you around the house MATH.
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    MATH wrote:

My Marguerite Patten "Every Day Cookery Book" recommends grilling them and then sprinkling a bit of grated cheese on top :p

In addition to many of the one's in the OP, I also have the "We'll Eat Again" series which Past Times were selling a few years ago. (Got my 3 in their sales). Really interesting stuff (cheap, cheerful and healthy too!). I believe there is a cheapo version with all the 3 combined that some garden centres sell so they're still around, just no longer in Past Times :(

Off to look up that "Ration Book Diet" - sounds very interesting :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Another good one is The Cost Conscious Cook, they have a couple of copies going for a £1 on Amazon marketplace at the moment.

I only know this as I've nearly given up sellotaping my copy back together :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I like the books by Shirley Goode " The Goode Kitchen" "Goode for one " etc.
    She has a good range of recipes and it is not all old fashioned English stuff either. ):):):
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills