Food shopping on a budget while trying to diet

124»

Comments

• TottalyLost
    TottalyLost Posts: 49 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2009 at 2:13AM
    Ah - puerh tea is good for weight loss.....

tastes ... yukkkkkkkk but... no pain no gain :)

And I get my white.black/gold tea from abroad which is funny because it is Lipton make LOL

http://plaza.fi/s/f/editor/images/Lipton%20White%20Tea.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515DZNK5Q5L._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

http://www.lipton.no/Lipton-NO/no-2006/images2/pyr_gold_1.jpg

Maybe I need to check if they are now available to buy in UK :)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and I ONLY drink my tea from this type of glass 9almost identical - buty I do nto have the saucer LOL)

http://jingtea.com/teaware/glass-teaware/glass-tea-cup-and-saucer-300ml
  • TottalyLost
    TottalyLost Posts: 49 Forumite
    THread has died?

Hmmmm
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    THread has died?

Hmmmm
    That often happens after an initial flurry of replies (unless there are controversial posts on there!).
    You have plenty to be going on with for now surely ?
    Are you wanting long term diet encouragement ?
    If so then you can update the thread, I am sure people will read it, although tbh it might get moved to a different board (not sure what though).....you could join the old style weight loss peeps if you want a friendly bunch!
    Good luck!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    NattyVee wrote: »

If you aren't convinced, read this: http://jingtea.com/tea-knowledge/tea-and-health which runs down the health benefits of tea. Everything that mentions green tea applies to white tea too, it's just there's been less research on white tea at this point. However, research done has shown that white tea so far has all the benefits of green and more, as the young buds are more full of nutrients.

It prevents everything from cancer to heart problems to tooth decay and to an extent, obesity too. Within 3 days of drinking 4 cups a day my skin cleared up, and is no longer spotty and tight. Also, I lost a lot of bulge around my waist pretty much the next day. I guess I was retaining water there, that or it improved my digestion so that I wasn't bloated.

You need to be very careful when analysing these studies. Any that are published in lesser journals are there for a reason - either the research has been carried out/ funded by a company who also happens to sell the product, or the sample group was very small, or there wasn't a placebo control, or it was in vitro not in vivo, or leaps of faith were made in the conclusions drawn.

Anything that had an overnight effect other that simply altering your hydration levels would be so powerful that it would have to be a prescription only medication. Nothing prevents cancer or heart disease, a food supplement can only support the immune system or supply the nutrients that help your system run optimally.

In most cases people who are switched on enough to take food supplements are concerned about their health in other ways - therein lies the rub as how do you separate the effect of regular exercise, from organic foods from not smoking? Answer: you can't without a massive study that runs for decades such as the ones undertaken on nursing students.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Mermaid
    Mermaid Posts: 146 Forumite
    TottalyLost: that is a lot of chocolate! While I've NEVER eaten a kilo at a time, I do like chocolate. I'm currently trying to shift my last half stone of post-baby flab, and I've found a good way to control the chocolate cravings is to buy a pack of small bars of dark chocolate (I get Ritter Sports Marzipans from Aldi, these only have 4 squares per bar). I think that fact that I have unwrapped a bar fools me into being satisfied more easily, and I look forward to nibbling my treat in the evening.

Plus I keep the bars in the utility room which is as far as possible from the living room. Perhaps you could buy less at a time and make it difficult to get at too. Maybe store in garage?

Fire Fox: please do you have any advice for dieting while breast feeding? Baby is on solids and I feed her about 4 - 5 times a day. I've not been calorie counting, just upping intake of fruit/veg, and replacing lunch time sandwiches with Ryvitas and home made veg soup. I've been assuming that as long as I'm not hungry, then I've probably got it about right. Have been loosing a bit of weight, 1 or 2 pounds per week doing this. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,

Mermaid
    You only get one go at life, so grab it where it hurts, shake it hard and get everything out of it you can!
  • Fire_Fox
    Mermaid wrote: »

Fire Fox: please do you have any advice for dieting while breast feeding? Baby is on solids and I feed her about 4 - 5 times a day. I've not been calorie counting, just upping intake of fruit/veg, and replacing lunch time sandwiches with Ryvitas and home made veg soup. I've been assuming that as long as I'm not hungry, then I've probably got it about right. Have been loosing a bit of weight, 1 or 2 pounds per week doing this. Anything else I should consider?

Are you exercising too? The combination is recommended for breast feeding mums. You need to think about getting plenty of vitamins (fruit and veg, up to nine portions a day), minerals (wholegrains, nuts/ seeds, beans/ lentils and at least two portions of dairy products every day), protein and essential fats. You aren't mentioning any sources of the last two - these are key for healthy fat loss and for your baby's development.

Add in oily fish, omega-enriched eggs, LesKol cheese, lean meat. You should be having some protein at every meal, for example eggs and beans or cottage cheese with pineapple on wholegrain toast for breakfast. Salmon pate (cheap tinned fish mixed with low fat soft cheese) on Ryvita for lunch or a generous sprinkle of grated LesKol cheese on your soup.
  • Mermaid
    Mermaid Posts: 146 Forumite
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Are you exercising too? The combination is recommended for breast feeding mums. You need to think about getting plenty of vitamins (fruit and veg, up to nine portions a day), minerals (wholegrains, nuts/ seeds, beans/ lentils and at least two portions of dairy products every day), protein and essential fats. You aren't mentioning any sources of the last two - these are key for healthy fat loss and for your baby's development.

Add in oily fish, omega-enriched eggs, LesKol cheese, lean meat. You should be having some protein at every meal, for example eggs and beans or cottage cheese with pineapple on wholegrain toast for breakfast. Salmon pate (cheap tinned fish mixed with low fat soft cheese) on Ryvita for lunch or a generous sprinkle of grated LesKol cheese on your soup.

Hi Fire Fox,

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately due to back problems and time constraints, I find it difficult to get much vigorous exercise, but I walk a lot and I'm active generally from 7am until around 8pm, as I have 3 children of 5 and under... I would like to get more exercise and hope to re-join the gymn after the summer holiday.

I'm vegetarian, but I'm pretty sure that I eat a well balanced diet. I use a lot of soy mince, quorn, beans and lentils. After reading your post, I realised that I'm not eating as many eggs as I used to and shall make sure I add a few more in each week. I've never heard of LesKol cheese, and I'll look out for it next time I'm shopping. Can you buy it in a normal supermarket?

I tend to take a vegetarian vitamin & mineral supplement each day, though I'm not sure that I need it, and try to eat at least one portion of fruit with each mean to make sure I get vitamin c to help with iron uptake. I also have milk on my cereal, cheese and yoghurt most days, so I think I'm OK for dairy.

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure I bear in in mind when menu planning in future.

Mermaid
    You only get one go at life, so grab it where it hurts, shake it hard and get everything out of it you can!
  • Fire_Fox
    What sort of back problems do you have? Muscular from pregnancy/ c-section or structural/ postural issue, or an old slipped disc? Have you been assessed by a physiotherapist? Have you ever asked your GP to refer you to your local exercise referral scheme? PM me if you want.

LesKol is in all the supermarkets, with the 'healthy' cheese: it's suitable for vegetarians too. I very much doubt you need a vitamin or mineral supplement if you are having plenty of fruit and vegetables/ pulses/ wholegrains/ dairy produce.
  • tinks_77_2
    tinks_77_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Thanks to OP for starting this, lots of great ideas/ advice on here.
    "Just do it - If you mess up, there's always someone who can put it right"
  • NattyVee
    NattyVee Posts: 95 Forumite
    Ok, so I promised an update, and here it is.

I've maintained the same weight for the past 2 weeks, which for everyone's information, is about a BMI of 23.5-24, so it's healthy, but at the top end, and I'd like to get to about 22 or so. I thought I'd be disappointed, but for the first time in my life, I actually don't care.

I was putting my trainers on a week ago, and noticed a bulge in my calves. I almost freaked out, but then I touched them and realised it was muscle! I had a similar thing happen when I started running a few months ago, but then lost interest, and my shiny running shoes went into the cupboard, and it all went to pot.

Today, I was passing a full length mirror, and was absolutely amazed at how my thighs looked. There's a line going from my knee to my hip which wasn't there before. I prodded it, and it's the outline of a new muscle, that was before buried under the fat.

After further inspection, I also noticed my waist is firmer at the sides, although there isn't a noticable shrinkage yet. Then again, I've been wearing work clothes so maybe when I try on one of my tighter skirts, it won't pinch so much. Giving it another week before I try though. However, glad to know that it's not ALL flab anymore.

Just for reference, I've been doing EA Active workouts each day, and just this week started adding Tae-bo sessions to the mix. The Tae-bo is really active and gets my pulse nice and high, and the EA active has me doing lunges and squats for muscle-building and toning. I've been pretty religious with my exercise, and in return have been a little bit easy-going with the food. I had a couple of splurges, a Chinese that did a lot of damage early on, and a pizza yesterday. However, I had the pizza on the condition that I did an hour's exercise, and managed to not weigh anymore the next day!

Now I'm trying to improve my diet. Going for Boots meal deals while I'm at work (Chicken and blue cheese salad - 168kcal, strawberries and creme fraiche - 68kcal and smoothie -130kcal), which means a naughty dinner isn't the end of the world, although I try to avoid stodgy carbs wherever possible.

I've accepted that bread can't be a daily part of my diet, and as long as you're creative, it's not that bad. And I love bread.

I'm moving soon, so trying to clear out my cupboard. There's loads of Miso in there, so I'm assuming a decent weight loss once I move onto those, although they never turn me on when thinking about having them for dinner!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure