Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Geordie_bear
    • By Geordie_bear 15th Apr 09, 8:52 AM
    • 504Posts
    • 743Thanks
    Geordie_bear
    Sneaky Asda!
    • 15th Apr 09, 8:52 AM
    Sneaky Asda! 15th Apr 09 at 8:52 AM
    I used to buy their own variety of Coolmint Mouthwash. It went from 54p to 58p the 63p which was okay & because I liked using it I didn't really mind the price increases! However I went back today to buy some as I was running out & noticed it's no longer there & I've just checked online & it's been confirmed! Although they do have another Asda Coolmint mouthwash repackaged & 1!!

Be careful MSE's Asda are becoming really sneaking.

Just found Tesco do a similar mouthwash for 56p & I think I'll buy it there from now on!

On a side issue has anyone noticed the price of Asda SP Jaffa Cakes? 12 for 50p went to Sainsburys the other day & bought 12 McVities (market leader) jaffa cakes for 46p!

Don't be conned my Asda's so called 'low prices' I'm not
Page 2
    • jollymummy
    • By jollymummy 17th Apr 09, 10:34 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    jollymummy
    I live in the middle of nowhere so shop online to save on petrol, it's really interesting to compare prices. As I've got saved favourites, it's amazing how items can go up and down by up to 1 in just a week. I currently use Tesco but have noticed this happens with Asda and Sainsburys too, the rascals!
  • Gunna
    I tend to try and shop at Morrisons and Tesco and my local B & M and Farmfoods and Heron and Wilkinsons!!! All these stores so i can keep afloat lol. I simply couldnt afford to shop at Tesco alone and certainly not Asda their price cuts and offers are quickly made up by price rises on other everyday products.
    I am blessed to have a B&M store they have dolmio for 59p and ragu sometimes, uncle bens sauces for 59-89p, sharwoos,pataks, beans,tuna ,fish,tinned fruit,custard cream etc all a heck of a lot cheaper. Most of all i find their pet food a god send when they have it in.

I think Asda is very sneaky as pulling they obviously think they are pulling the wool over our eyes.........you really do have to check everything you buy and price compare it with other stores.

Even now i am contemplating doing shopping at Sainsbury's, once i would not touch this expensive store but now it is getting cheaper than Asda and Tesco unfortunately i have none near me so it will be online.
    • 1carminestocky
    • By 1carminestocky 18th Apr 09, 3:28 PM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    1carminestocky
    I tend to try and shop at Morrisons and Tesco and my local B & M and Farmfoods and Heron and Wilkinsons!!! All these stores so i can keep afloat lol. I simply couldnt afford to shop at Tesco alone and certainly not Asda their price cuts and offers are quickly made up by price rises on other everyday products.
    I am blessed to have a B&M store they have dolmio for 59p and ragu sometimes, uncle bens sauces for 59-89p, sharwoos,pataks, beans,tuna ,fish,tinned fruit,custard cream etc all a heck of a lot cheaper. Most of all i find their pet food a god send when they have it in.

I think Asda is very sneaky as pulling they obviously think they are pulling the wool over our eyes.........you really do have to check everything you buy and price compare it with other stores.

Even now i am contemplating doing shopping at Sainsbury's, once i would not touch this expensive store but now it is getting cheaper than Asda and Tesco unfortunately i have none near me so it will be online.
    Originally posted by Gunna

Up to approx a month ago we also were of the opinion that Sainsburys was expensive. Not any more. Like you we have no store nearby but shop online with them now. Their Basics range is huge and seems to be of very good quality across the range. We always use mysupermarket to get an idea of costs with each of the major supermarkets and, on our shop, Sainsburys has always been way cheaper for our basket )often by 25% or more!). Superb delivery service as well (one hour time slots, short date stuff identified by placing in a blue bag, very curteous drivers etc). I would wholeheartedly recommend them.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • asp746
    asda is very sneaky. i am in the vicinity through home and work of 4 asdas and they all seem to have different reduced items.

at the one near home i got some great prawn salads for 1 so decided to go to the one near work on my lunch to get more but there, they were 2:confused:

the southport asda also had giant easter eggs for 7 but the week before i paid 10 for them in the bootle branch
    • horse76
    • By horse76 18th Apr 09, 6:46 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    horse76
    Basics Tuna is a bug bear for me. Last year 29p and now 55p

I think the ingredients have gone up and also they have to make up some of the losses of people switching brands!!!

I bought some value muesli with (wait for it) 2.5% raisins and 0.5% hazelnuts!!! (be like a treasure hunt!!) But 58p
    Originally posted by I luv cats
    PMSL That split my sides lol!
    2017 - no clutter to be seen challenge: 72/2017
    Weight loss the old style way challenge - 7/14lbs
    • 1carminestocky
    • By 1carminestocky 18th Apr 09, 6:51 PM
    • 6,450 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    1carminestocky
    It gets worse!! This is the description of the ingredients for Sainsburys Basics Muesli on mysupermarket.

Ingredients
    Mixed Cereals (89%) (oat Flakes, Whole Wheat Flakes, Toasted Wheat Flakes), Raisins (5%), Whey Powder, Nibbled Hazelnuts (1%).
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
    • horse76
    • By horse76 19th Apr 09, 1:00 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    horse76
    It gets worse!! This is the description of the ingredients for Sainsburys Basics Muesli on mysupermarket.

Ingredients
    Mixed Cereals (89%) (oat Flakes, Whole Wheat Flakes, Toasted Wheat Flakes), Raisins (5%), Whey Powder, Nibbled Hazelnuts (1%).
    Originally posted by 1carminestocky
    Nibbled!
    2017 - no clutter to be seen challenge: 72/2017
    Weight loss the old style way challenge - 7/14lbs
  • Dreamy

Ingredients
    Originally posted by 1carminestocky
    Perhapse there money saving by having squirrals pick them ???????
  • Gunna
    God when you look at it though Sainsbury's muesli has a lot more raisins in and hazlenuts lol even if they are nibbled
  • Blahnik39
    I've recently gone to Sainsbury's and found it to be a lot more reasonable than I thought, always went to Asda due to distance from home, it alway annoyed me that the shelves were half empty most of the time (Trafford Park) I made a comment in one of their customer comment books once why build it so big if they can't keep it stocked ! Obv didn't get a reply. Think I'm going to make the effort and go to Sainsubury's in future.

P.s - 4 tins of John West tuna chunks in brine 2.49 at Home Bargains over 5 in Asda
    • purplebutterfly
    • By purplebutterfly 19th Apr 09, 5:09 PM
    • 3,112 Posts
    • 13,330 Thanks
    purplebutterfly
    Nibbled nuts and treasure hunt cereal - I've just nearly spit tea over the screen from laughing so much!!!!!

At least the entertainment value is increasing along with the prices
    Living with Lupus is like juggling with butterflies
  • fairyfaye4
    i like most mums, trying to strectch the housekeeping, will notice when an item in asda goes up, unless your life depends onit, leave it. a week later it will be back to normal price. i havent noticed it too much in sainsburys. tescos used to be known, when i was a kid as tescos chuck outs. now tesco rip offs.
    • skipton
    • By skipton 17th May 09, 8:01 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    skipton
    Tesco strikes again. Tinned peaches 3 weeks ago 28p, a week later they had gone up to 30p. This week 35p. I'll go without rather than buy them from here again.
    • MEMBER02
    • By MEMBER02 17th May 09, 10:25 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 730 Thanks
    MEMBER02
    noticed other day in asda warburtons danish bread up to 75p from 64p
    • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 18th May 09, 7:14 AM
    • 8,080 Posts
    • 19,560 Thanks
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    I've recently gone to Sainsbury's and found it to be a lot more reasonable than I thought, always went to Asda due to distance from home, it alway annoyed me that the shelves were half empty most of the time (Trafford Park) I made a comment in one of their customer comment books once why build it so big if they can't keep it stocked ! Obv didn't get a reply. Think I'm going to make the effort and go to Sainsubury's in future.

P.s - 4 tins of John West tuna chunks in brine 2.49 at Home Bargains over 5 in Asda
    Originally posted by Blahnik39
    Asda Trafford Park never seem to reply.
    We go there when we're visiting our daughter and I bought some of their own make chocolate biscuits,the one's like penguins.
    Out of three packets,all different varieties two packets were out of date.One of them by nine weeks.
    I wrote and never got a reply.
    My daughter's wrote too and never get's an answer.
    I agree with it always having loads of empty shelves too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

8,601Users online

Martin's Twitter