PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Revised offer after EA gets proof of deposit

Options

Comments

• kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The EA is not allowed to insist you see anyone before passing on the offer. You should have stood your ground.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    My estate agent for my sale was happy with an email from the buyers broker and so was I.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    EA's role is bring parties together and agree a price. That's all. The amount of additional commision they earn from obtaining a slightly higher price doesn't make messing around worth their time. Remember they don't get paid until the transaction completes either. They'd much prefer to close the deal and spend their time more productively.

You need to weigh up what the property is worth to you. As values are subjective. Not a precise science.

Some of them have plenty of time to mess around with at the moment. Very slow market. Best to look busier than the guy in the desk next to you.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kinger101 wrote: »
    Some of them have plenty of time to mess around with at the moment. Very slow market. Best to look busier than the guy in the desk next to you.

There's professional and unprofessional in every walk of life. Some people spend their working lives appearing to look busy ...........
  • luis1988
    luis1988 Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought most mortgage advisors take their fee from the mortgage lender, or have I just got lucky on both occasions? I would never entertain the idea of providing a fee upfront to a mortgage broker!
  • muz3562
    muz3562 Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would personally be reluctant to start sharing financial details until I had agreed a price. And even then what do I want to sit around for an hour sharing financial details when I already have an AIP.
  • Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    gozaimasu wrote: »
    It concerns me that this kind of thing is breaching Data Protection. There is no way that an estate agent really needs to take a copy of these documents, they simply need to have sight of them to see that you can genuinely proceed.

Once you get the house, give them a bad review on allagents.co.uk and of course you won't be using them to sell. They've lost a future customer, what a bunch of idiots.

I have a feeling you could pretty much tell them to f off by quoting GDPR at them.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    EA's role is bring parties together and agree a price. That's all. The amount of additional commision they earn from obtaining a slightly higher price doesn't make messing around worth their time. Remember they don't get paid until the transaction completes either. They'd much prefer to close the deal and spend their time more productively.

You need to weigh up what the property is worth to you. As values are subjective. Not a precise science.

Not entirely true. In fact not even remotely so. EAs stand to make significant sums from selling additional in-house services and commissions on referrals. The totals from getting a buyer to use their own mortgage/conveyancing can easily equal the commission from the sale.

EAs play both ends and its no surprise than many (if not most) are happy to lie and mislead buyers. Its about a lot more to the EA than just the (obviously welcome) additional commission from the seller.
  • fportela
    fportela Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of good replies so far, thanks a lot!

We're still waiting to hear back from the EA but will definitely stand our ground. Hopefully this thread will be of help to someone coming across a similar situation!
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2018 at 11:04AM
    Options
    The estate agent will get a substantial referral fee if you use their in-house broker or recommended solicitor. The referral fee is buried in the small print.

When I bought I saw a £300 referral fee to the EA from their recommended solicitor in the small print. I imagine the referral fee paid by the bank to their in-house broker would be even more.

Guess who ends up paying for that?

If you use the EA's in-house broker or recommended solicitor you are just lining the EA's pockets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure