PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• malamay
    malamay Posts: 793 Forumite
    Finally, it's payday! No grocery spends for me today, but have an Asd@ delivery coming tomorrow. It's about £43, but £5.50 back from quidco as it's a first shop, and another £1.70 back with their shopping app. I will have to top up in Mr. T's as a few things on my list are cheaper there.

It's been a very high spend day as I've ordered a new macbook. Paid for in full partly due to participating in the grocery challenge, and spending a lot less on feeding us. The last one I ordered took me three year to pay off, so this is quite an achievement! :beer:
    Swagbucks Amazon gift vouchers 2014 125/250
    GC October 100.8/150 September 99.36/180 August 178.77/180 June 163.18/180 May 177.89/180 April 160.66/180 March 163.48/180 Feb 154.21/150 Jan 51.65/150
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Can I join for August please? Really need to reduce the spending. I've had a look at my bank account and it seems we average about £400 a month for food, wine, toiletries, cleaning stuff etc:eek: - there's only 2 of us most of the time. As I've got fairly full freezers and cupboards I'm going to try and reduce it to £250 this month. I know that's a big reduction but as I said I've got loads to use up and enough wine & spirits as well! DH will just have to put up with them instead of beer at weekends.

I've just got my money so the month starts from Thursday when I do my shopping which also happens to be the 1st August, couldn't have timed it better if I'd tried:rotfl:.

Denise
  • raggy_doll
    raggy_doll Posts: 18 Forumite
    I'm back from my first shop of the month and spent £269.87 which isn't bad considering I had nothing left in the house, and even better for me I went with a list and didn't buy a single thing that wasn't on it!!! This is amazing for me, I'm definitely going without OH and the kids again :D

Gonna do a quick bacon, leek, mushroom and cream cheese pasta tonight and then hopefully have a go at making the gf wraps when the kids are in bed
  • mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can I join in too please? Daughters all of a sudden too "old" (where has the time gone) child benefit and child tax credits stopping, which means approx £80 per week less coming in starting beg of Sept. I want to get used to our new budget now, so we can all get used to it.

Not sure what to set my budget at but going generous for this month. There are going to be 5 whole weeks (incl this one) until 30th Aug so I will say £550 for that. 2 adults, 2 hungry teenagers. This is probably very high for most of you but don't want to fail straight away by putting the budget too low. I will try to stay well under it though.

Spent £104.39/£550at Asda today, we needed quite a few things, the cupboards were bare, so needed some "stock"

I have made a menu plan and shopped with a list.
    Away to read the whole thread to get some good ideas. Good luck and happy shopping everyone
  • kalojac
    kalojac Posts: 423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hiya

My target this month is £400 please.
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Raggy doll - maybe you could try making corn tortillas rather than using GF flour? If your kids will eat them (must admit I personally don't like them) they might work better? I think the bought ones do have gluten but traditionally they shouldn't.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Puddickle
    Puddickle Posts: 34 Forumite
    I got a lettuce, 2 peppers, 2 nectarines, 4 bananas, brocolli, bag of potatoes, 4 big vine tomatoes, celery, mushrooms, 2 red onions, 4 carrots, plus free gifts of a loaf of tiger bread and a carton of fresh orange juice all for £9.95 including delivery... it's a good veg box this week!!
    CC debt £2,528.65/£31,193.22 - Slowly plugging away
  • How does everyone store theirs. I have bit of papers, magazines etc. keep finding lovely recipes but need some suggestions. Has anyone found anything on App Store that users can add their own ones to ?
  • kjgkgj
    kjgkgj Posts: 42 Forumite
    Back on the forum again and no mode lurking. My budget is £200 for the month. Did our first shop a few days ago for £50.49, but havent used much of it yet sound counting as first shop of August budget.

Went to Lid for the first time at the weekend and I am amazed by it, what have I been missing for the past few years..!? The fruit and veg is superb and the meat looks good and is all British at very reasonable prices. I know where I will be going in future (no more being a snob for me!)

Tea tonight is new pots and veg from parents in laws garden, and some 'fish in a bag' (cod in butter sauce, my fav).

Had the flu since Saturday so not really felt like eating but really fancy tea tonight. Just need to get rid of this wiped out feeling now :(
    Mortgage overpayments 2014 £175 :)
    GC Dec £169.00/£220.00
    GC Jan £169.31/£220.00
    GC Feb £259.23/£220.00
    GC Mar £219.02/£220.00
  • pixiedust09
    pixiedust09 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Evening all, popped to Ald* today to spend my second voucher and have a total of £39.63 to declare. Will upday Sig in a min. Only popped in quickly as watching Game of thrones boxset I've borrowed from a friend, Its Bloomin good :)
    MFW 142- Oct 1999 £55,0000, Jul 2013 £27,593.17 Oct 2013 £26,531, Dec 2014 £22,600, Dec 2015 £20,190, Jan 2016 £19,944.19 Mar 2017 £16,944.76 Decluttered 207/2018
    Smile it confuses people :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport