New gutter and soffit/facias - how much?

We were quoted £300 for replacement guttering and agreed.

When they came to scope out the job properly, they said we might as well have the bare wood soffits and facias replaced so that they don’t end up rotting at some point in the future. We’ve got a bog standard 3 bed semi in the Midlands. For front and back, we’ve been quoted £1,000 all in. I felt a bit put on the spot, but agreed. The guy, a friend of a friend, is of course saying he’s giving us a good deal because he wants to build up his portfolio and gather good feedback yadda yadda yadda.

I’m now having cold feet as I didn’t get any alternative quotes, but it now feels a bit late to get other tradesmen in to get more quotes. Does £1,000 all in seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You need to check if its replace or "cladding" - putting plastic layer over the top of the existing wood.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It sounds about right to me. We paid a lot more than that but ours is a 4 bed detached.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Debran
    Debran Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We paid just under £3,000 for replacing soffits, facias, guttering, downpipes etc. in 2015. This was the lowest of three quotes and was from a local tradesman who has done work for us for some years now. We were very satisfied the the job.

We have a medium-sized three-bedroom bungalow. Obviously there was more labour and materials involved than with a standard house as a bungalow has a larger footprint.
  • JimmyChanga
    JimmyChanga Posts: 262 Forumite
    Why did they not point this out when quoting the initial £300?

So the current fascias/soffits don't have any kind of coating? Rotting in the future is irrelevant. Are they rotten now? Or just need a lick of paint?

The quote is cheap but depends on the job. Had a neighbour quoted exactly the same and all this guy did was slap UPVC over the top with silicone and some nails. He didn't even do all the fascias. In a week they were nearly all sagging.

Oh..and this guy was also recommended through a friend of theirs.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Three bed tall semi down south; we were quoted anywhere from 1100 to 5k. The 5k quote seemed about right for pvc replacement and guttering. I ended up repairing and painting the original wood myself - and that cost me 1.3k + a week of my time (scaffolding was a grand).

I assume that for 1k surely that can't be a complete replacement.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I thought all work above a certain height had to be done either using scaffolding or cherry picker. If that's true then the quote seems very low indeed.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I thought all work above a certain height had to be done either using scaffolding or cherry picker. If that's true then the quote seems very low indeed.
    In practice though it doesn't happen. There's no point spending hours putting up scaffolding, which has its own risks, if you're only going to be up it for a few minutes. Cherry pickers are great if you can get one near enough.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry for late reply. Thank you to everyone for your help. It reassured me as I hoped it would. Just coming back to give a bit of closure if interested.

It's a house I own with a friend and I no longer live there (although still financially liable so get involved with this sort of thing), so haven't seen the new stuff since it's been put up, but apparently it was full replacement rather than cladding, and my friend is happy with it. Time will tell I suppose. And lesson learnt about coming on here earlier next time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure