PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Blimey GQ you're organised, but that shouldn't suprise me by now.

We haven't heard any tales from the junk shop recently, do you still visit?
    :p I drop in most weeks for a cuppa and a chat but haven't had anything post-worthily amusing to report, but there is still the possibility. ;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would try and sell textbooks on amazon. Some are very expensive to buy new and can fetch a decent second hand price.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :p I drop in most weeks for a cuppa and a chat but haven't had anything post-worthily amusing to report, but there is still the possibility. ;)
    :hello: Hiya!

I'm slowly restocking my kitchen, as fast as I can clean the new cupboards. Though actually, it's quite difficult, because I ended up putting stuff everywhere - in my patchwork stash, all sorts of places. New decisions need to be made:

- a huge great cauldron type thing has gone back to the charity shop. It must hold 8 litres or so, but its very cheaply made, everything would burn in a minute.
    - plasticky bits from my dishwasher installation, kept "just in case" - the kitchen guys reinstalled the dishwasher, so this stuff definitely wasn't needed, hurray.
    - oven thermometer. It was necessary while I had the old oven (before that broke down completely) and now it isn't, woo hoo!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome, Jox!

Would you have time during your commute to already mentally tackle certain spaces in your home, so that when you arrive home, the actual work does not take so long, because the decisions have already been made? Maybe open a drawer before you leave, do a quick check, close it again, and let it stew in your mind during the day?

1 pair of dd2's underpants to ragbag, 1 of dd2's jeans skirts to Africa pile. Off to the attic to look for summer pj's for both dds.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has your KM skill worked its magic on the shop I wonder?!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :D One of the three upstairs rooms is navigable, one is mostly navigable and one is........... interestingly cluttered and salted with the debris of the fallen lath & plaster ceiling.

As for the cellar, I have got some Stuff out by pal is resolutely hanging on to the crate of 40 y.o. bottles of Brandini. He reckons they're drinkable, I can see HUGE floaters inside and wouldn't imbibe them on a dare.......... mebbe one day I shall be allowed to pour 'em away and recycle the bottles!:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :D One of the three upstairs rooms is navigable, one is mostly navigable and one is........... interestingly cluttered and salted with the debris of the fallen lath & plaster ceiling.

As for the cellar, I have got some Stuff out by pal is resolutely hanging on to the crate of 40 y.o. bottles of Brandini. He reckons they're drinkable, I can see HUGE floaters inside and wouldn't imbibe them on a dare.......... mebbe one day I shall be allowed to pour 'em away and recycle the bottles!:rotfl:

Why not pop round one Friday around closing time and ask if he would like a wee Friday celebration drinkie? If he wouldn't I think you can work on him letting you dispose of them rather more responsibly than suggesting anyone drinking it !! :beer::beer::beer: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Goodness me the things he has kept (:rotfl::rotfl: but we all love the tales so dont make him clear it ALL out too quickly) :T:T

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I managed to get two other kitchen bits to the charity shop yesterday: the cutlery holder from the previous dishwasher, believe it or not - I wasn't sure they'd want it, but they practically grabbed it out of my hand :rotfl: plus a really important KM disposal: two pyrex pie dishes. I've used them as plant saucers, but every time I see them, they make me miserable, because they belonged to my step-grandmother, who used to make me miserable as a child. 30 years later, she was boasting to my mother about how she could make me upset when I was forced to visit her to say goodnight :( so I'm really, really glad to see the back of them. Only realised because of the whole kitchen revamp, so I'm glad the plates can go off and be useful elsewhere.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    That's such a good thing to have done to get rid of those dishes, Kc - and entirely what KM is about with 'sparking joy' - as those dishes clearly did the opposite for you, it's right that they go and are of use to someone without that connection (who knows - they might actually be bought by someone because they remind them of a favoured and loved granny - that would be lovely! :)) xx

Only things which have left here recently are a card/ gift/ wrapping all from stash yesterday and a pair of trousers which I've had since before I was pregnant with DC3 (now 13) and aren't really my style any more. Ooh - and a book I finished reading
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

Last night I dreamed I was editing GQ's latest book which was called "Tales from the Junktique Shop" and was trying out different chapter titles to suit the various discoveries. I startled myself awake when you unearthed ancient Egyptian remains!

Maybe I need to eat more vegetables :embarasse
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family