Car Scratch - Advice Please

Options
Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone could advise. I very very lightly scraped the side of someone’s car today in a car park. I left a note with my number but as luck would have it the owner returned as I was doing so. I explained what had happened, he rubbed it and a lot of the mark came off straight away. He decided that the best course of action would be if he got the colour confirmed at a garage and then bought a can of spray paint and dealt with it himself. I was fine with this and he said he would get round to doing it after Christmas. I took his name, address and phone no and we left it there. I was just wondering, what will happen if he later changes his mind or he goes to a garage, gets them to do it all and clobbers me with a huge bill?

It has also occurred to me that he only has my first name and phone number.... I would absolutely not try to shirk responsibility, but at the same time I don’t want to be taken for a ride (pardon the pun). Thank you everyone.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone could advise. I very very lightly scraped the side of someone’s car today in a car park. I left a note with my number but as luck would have it the owner returned as I was doing so. I explained what had happened, he rubbed it and a lot of the mark came off straight away. He decided that the best course of action would be if he got the colour confirmed at a garage and then bought a can of spray paint and dealt with it himself. I was fine with this and he said he would get round to doing it after Christmas. I took his name, address and phone no and we left it there. I was just wondering, what will happen if he later changes his mind or he goes to a garage, gets them to do it all and clobbers me with a huge bill?

It has also occurred to me that he only has my first name and phone number.... I would absolutely not try to shirk responsibility, but at the same time I don’t want to be taken for a ride (pardon the pun). Thank you everyone.
    Presumably he'll notify his insurers who will then speak to yours. Sounds unlikely though, he probably won't want the hassle.
  • sheslookinhot
    Options
    If he clobbers you with a huge bill do not pay it. It would mean he has taken a course of action without your agreement or knowledge.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • ApplePie2019
    Options
    That’s the thing though - he has none of my personal info at present apart from my first name and phone no. He doesn’t even know what car I drive.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well don't worry about it then.
  • ApplePie2019
    Options
    Thank you ☺️
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Meaning, you intend to decide whether to reply to him or not when he gets in touch with you, depending on how much he wants to repair the damage you caused with the very very light scratch that's barely even there, you caused with your poor driving.

Assume he has told his insurers, who will find out your contact details from your first name and phone number if they need to, tell yours, swallow the £20 or so increase in premium next year, and enjoy a worry free Christmas.
  • ApplePie2019
    Options
    No, that’s not what I mean at all, which I think is clear from my original post. I have every intention of doing the right thing, hence the note. However, the remedy to the issue will need to be proportionate. That’s all I was asking about.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sound like you were lucky and did come across the type of person who would make a song and dance over a minor scratch that will probably polish out,was it an older car the person had? if not brand new probably not worth them making a fuss over it.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Cap2019
    Cap2019 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 9 December 2019 at 2:59PM
    Options
    No, that’s not what I mean at all, which I think is clear from my original post. I have every intention of doing the right thing, hence the note. However, the remedy to the issue will need to be proportionate. That’s all I was asking about.

And who gets to decide what is proportionate? you?

The third party has every right to repair the car to the standard it was before you caused any damage. If this entails replacing an entire body panel under the recommendation of their insurer then unfortunately so be it. Most people (myself included) wouldn't worry too much about a minor scratch but you have caused the damage and unfortunately doing the right thing means accepting the consequence, regardless of whether or not you agree it is proportionate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure