JSA: Will my settlement prevent me from claiming?

I'd appreciate some advice please.

I was informed last week that my role is at risk of redundancy. I've got two upcoming consultations before my redundancy on 30th June. I've been offered statutory redundancy terms and 12 weeks PILON. I do have some small savings, below £16000 at the moment.

I've looked on the GOV website and I think that I will be unable to claim any of the "new-style" JSA because my settlement will take me over the £16K limit. Am I right in thinking this?

The way I read the JSA details is that I am unable to claim income- or contribution-based JSA because I do not claim Severe Disability Premium, and so my only option would be "new-style" JSA.

Once my redundancy occurs is there a requirements that I should make an appointment with the Job Centre ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Goverment have changed the rules by implementing new JSA and that is NI contibutions based and the crucial phrase is "upto 182 days" suggesting that claimants may be penalised if they don't play ball. under the old rules new claimants were largely left alone if their reason for claiming was redundancy.

If you need to claim then do so it is your right and it also keeps your NI contributions up to date. DWP (aka job centre) do most things over the phone so before making the call have all your details to hand i.e. NI number, letter of redundancy etc and read the GOV site in detail and also do the eligibilty checker for other thing such as redundancy insurance that you may have.

Contractual redundancy pay is treated slightly differently for Jobseeker's Allowance. The statutory redundancy payment is deducted from the contractual redundancy payment and the difference is ignored completely. For other means-tested benefits it is still treated as capital.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 June 2019 at 8:29PM
    I'd appreciate some advice please.
    I've looked on the GOV website and I think that I will be unable to claim any of the "new-style" JSA because my settlement will take me over the £16K limit. Am I right in thinking this?

That's not correct. New style JSA is not means tested. It is based on your NI contributions for the last two tax years.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/jobseekers-allowance
    It is payable for 6 months only.

More general information:
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Facing-redundancy/What-benefits-can-I-get-after-redundancy
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure