MSE News: Women's state pension petition gathers over 50,000 signatures

Former_MSE_Paloma
Former_MSE_Paloma Posts: 531
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
Forumite
A petition created by Women Against State Pension Inequality has gained more than 55,000 signatures...
Read the full story:

Women's state pension petition gathers over 50,000 signatures

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It always annoyed me that woman live longer and yet got their State Pension at 60. It was an anomaly that had to be sorted, although I agree it's not given many enough time to plan.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The main change was legislated for in 1995 and announced earlier which seems plenty long enough to me. The later change (s) were shorter notice so I feel that's where any campaign should put its efforts.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,277
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    Do they see no irony in the name "Women Against State Pension Inequality" ;)
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    The main change was legislated for in 1995 and announced earlier which seems plenty long enough to me. The later change (s) were shorter notice so I feel that's where any campaign should put its efforts.

The second change didn't give enough notice to women, it has always mystified me that a 12 month increase in the pension age resulted in some women having their SRP delayed by 18 months.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mumps wrote: »
    The second change didn't give enough notice to women, it has always mystified me that a 12 month increase in the pension age resulted in some women having their SRP delayed by 18 months.

There have certainly been some strange anomalies.
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    In effect pension equalisation is achieved by the end of 2018 in the 2011 model, rather than in 2020. After the equalisation the unified age is phased up to 66 by October 2020.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm a bit puzzled about this petition, because an almost identical one has recently been debated, in November, and the government made it clear that they had no intention of revisiting the arrangements. am I missing something? (I hope so, having been born in October 1953!)
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    I'm a bit puzzled about this petition, because an almost identical one has recently been debated, in November, and the government made it clear that they had no intention of revisiting the arrangements. am I missing something? (I hope so, having been born in October 1953!)

We're twins!!!!!!!!
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    MSE_Paloma wrote: »
    Would you cancel Christmas if you could? Let us know below or email news@moneysavingexpert.com. Thanks.

And is the answer to this state pension inequality to cancel Christmas? :p
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    zagfles wrote: »
    Do they see no irony in the name "Women Against State Pension Inequality" ;)

We demand the right the be treated differently to men, as long as different = better!

Out of interest, how much notice were we given regards the age at which you could access private pensions moving from 50 to 55?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure