Public Sector Pension Strikes – A JOKE !

Options

Comments

• Old_Slaphead
    Options
    I speak aside of nurses, police, fire, ....... etc who deserve MORE money

Anyone tell me what the top line pay for these 3 jobs including any overtime, shift payments, freebie transport to work (in case of police) etc and the contracted hours worked ?
  • Credit-Crunched
    Options
    Zelazny wrote: »
    To be fair, the bus/train bit does not function as if it were in the private sector, as different companies are given effective monopolies on certain journeys, and are in some cases given large amounts of taxpayer cash to make the routes feasible.

It's also interesting to note that of all the things you mentioned, the bus/train staff are the only ones I can recall striking in the last 20 years.

That is because the other sectors are happy to have paid employment..
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    howee wrote: »
    tough one, in 'real world' they don't happen very often. As thank goodness we don't have many unions or members.

Or do Private Sector employers, who will feel the impact of strikes or recruitment/retention problems in their own pocket, prevent them from happening in the first place?
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    Possibly because most of the private sector are not in a monopoly position. If they fail to deliver then generally there are others ready to take the business, which does tend to get one to sharpen up ones act.
  • nicknameless
    Options
    ILW wrote: »
    Possibly because most of the private sector are not in a monopoly position. If they fail to deliver then generally there are others ready to take the business, which does tend to get one to sharpen up ones act.

like the energy companies for instance :rotfl:
  • J_i_m
    J_i_m Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone tell me what the top line pay for these 3 jobs including any overtime, shift payments, freebie transport to work (in case of police) etc and the contracted hours worked ?

http://www.rcn.org.uk/support/pay_and_conditions/pay_rates_20112012
    :www: Progress Report :www:
    Offer accepted: £107'000
    Deposit: £23'000
    Mortgage approved for: £84'000
    Exchanged: 2/3/16
    :T ... complete on 9/3/16 ... :T
  • sharnad
    sharnad Posts: 9,904 Forumite
    edited 28 November 2011 at 5:57PM
    Options
    I love this somewhat bizarre notion that the private sector is all about factories. Lets go through a day of your interaction with the private sector.

bus / train to work = private
    coffee on way in = private
    buy lunch in supermarket = private
    call into bank to pay cheque = private
    re-fuel car on way home = private
    phone up sky / electric to change account = private

If the private sector threatened strikes on the same magnitude of the public sector then this country would literally grind to a halt, the striking public sector will be no different to any other working day.

I speak aside of nurses, police, fire, paramedics, coast guard etc who deserve MORE money

The amount of over paid, over unionised, over self-opinionated self worth individuals in the public sector is sickening. I have daily interaction and I am amazed at the waste, both time and money that is apparent.

A huge wash through all departments, asking everyone to justify their job would make a few people blush and struggle.

Working longer = welcome to private sector
    Paying in more to pension = if lucky enough to have one , welcome
    NO paid overtime = welcome to private sector
    Huge targets and workloads = welcome to private sector
    Ruthless job cuts without consultation = welcome to private sector

And before you say but our jobs are hard to do when we are 67, tell that to the 68 year old cleaner, factory worker, call centre operator.

Really you aint got it that bad, and I hope these strikes prove to us all that even if you dont work for a full day the country will still troop on

your right the world would grind to a halt if starbucks closed for the day
    Needing to lose weight start date 26 December 2011 current loss 60 pound Down. Lots more to go to get into my size 6 jeans
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Old Slaphead viewpost.gif

http://www.rcn.org.uk/support/pay_an...rates_20112012

But those on the higher rates are not nurses they are managers and trainers running diversity awareness courses (where they teach you to say chairperson not chairman but are nonplussed by the diversity version of human)

Nurses are people who deal with customers, treating the sick and injured, they get the lower bandings.
    The agenda for change was a managers charter to line their own pockets at the expense of the NHS.
    These managers are the ones who should lose their jobs and pensions for the state they have got the NHS into.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • MsSupertech
    Options
    For many in the public sector this will be the third time their occupational pensions goal posts have been moved in recent years - in addition to the changes to state pensions. (Yes, I know the private sector has had changes too)
    One thing to remember is that many public sector employees (particularly the professionals) don't really have an alternative employer. The NHS, education etc are overwhelmingly in a 'monopoly' situation as an employer. Opportunities for jobs in private healthcare or education are few and far between. This means that, unlike private sector employees, many public sector staff can't simply decide go elsewhere to try to improve their pay or conditions. Which helps explain why they're angry..
    Once it's gone, it's gone - so remember...
    Pay for the things you need before you dream about the stuff you want :think:
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    like the energy companies for instance :rotfl:

They may not be great, but the service was a whole lot worse when they were in public ownership.

Same goes for BT.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport