Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • terrence45
    • By terrence45 14th Aug 19, 10:22 AM
    • 131Posts
    • 62Thanks
    terrence45
    Looking to rent
    • 14th Aug 19, 10:22 AM
    Looking to rent 14th Aug 19 at 10:22 AM
    Morning everyone. I'm 2 years post discharge and looking to rent my own place for the first time (small studio in a popular town).

So far I've been renting rooms privately but I want my own place. I know my credit history is going to write me off with estate agents, but is there a chance I could pay e.g. 3 or 6 months in advance to sweeten the deal, or ask a family member to be a guarantor?

To make matters worse I'm going to be a full time student again, so not earning!
Page 1
    • terrence45
    • By terrence45 14th Aug 19, 12:47 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    terrence45
    • 14th Aug 19, 12:47 PM
    • 14th Aug 19, 12:47 PM
    Don't worry - I've ended up pretty much getting the answer on another thread! Can be deleted (can't work out how).
    • Bankruptski
    • By Bankruptski 22nd Aug 19, 1:23 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bankruptski
    • 22nd Aug 19, 1:23 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 1:23 PM
    What was the answer?
    • terrence45
    • By terrence45 22nd Aug 19, 2:47 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    terrence45
    • 22nd Aug 19, 2:47 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 2:47 PM
    What was the answer?
    Originally posted by Bankruptski
    The answer was maybe, depends on the landlord! Clearly they'd prefer someone with a glistening credit record, but they may be keen to get someone in.
    • Bankruptski
    • By Bankruptski 22nd Aug 19, 4:07 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bankruptski
    • 22nd Aug 19, 4:07 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 4:07 PM
    Ah right. Thanks for the info.

I'm a renter but the area I live in has high demand so the landlords can pick and choose.

It's my biggest worry about wrecking my credit rating!
    • terrence45
    • By terrence45 22nd Aug 19, 4:24 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    terrence45
    • 22nd Aug 19, 4:24 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 4:24 PM
    Ah right. Thanks for the info.

I'm a renter but the area I live in has high demand so the landlords can pick and choose.

It's my biggest worry about wrecking my credit rating!
    Originally posted by Bankruptski
    If you're currently in a place that you're happy with then you could just stay put? The OR won't usually tell your landlord that you've gone bankrupt, so they need not know. They do ask for their contact details though for some reason, and possibly a copy of the lease (in case there's any value in it, I guess).

So far in 2.5 years since bankruptcy I've rented privately - so directly with landlords, not estate agents - so no credit checks or anything. If you were to use estate agents maybe you'd need a sweetener like rent up front or a guarantor.
    • Frey85
    • By Frey85 23rd Aug 19, 7:16 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Frey85
    • 23rd Aug 19, 7:16 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 7:16 AM
    In my local area private rentals are as rare as hens teeth, therefore renting with estate agent was my only option (Not yet bankrupt but very poor credit rating ).

I offered 6 months upfront (relative) or a guarantor . I found most agents preferred the guarantor option which surprised me as I expected them to want the 'cash in their hand'. The reasoning apparently that landlords prefer stability of long term rentals & didn't want to be worrying in 6 Months if no further monies materialised.
    Good luck
    • mwarby
    • By mwarby 24th Aug 19, 4:10 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    mwarby
    • 24th Aug 19, 4:10 PM
    • 24th Aug 19, 4:10 PM
    They do ask for their contact details though for some reason, and possibly a copy of the lease (in case there's any value in it, I guess).
    Originally posted by terrence45
    Possibly so they can check the amount claimed is correct and it is a normal landlord tenant relationship, and not an attempt to mislead the OR
    • terrence45
    • By terrence45 17th Oct 19, 8:24 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    terrence45
    • 17th Oct 19, 8:24 PM
    • 17th Oct 19, 8:24 PM
    Wee update, in case anybody cares... Have taken a very nice flat through a regular agency. Told them I was a student and ex-insolvent - they required a guarantor as expected, but that's it. Easy peasy and no extra rent up front.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,815Posts Today

4,702Users online

Martin's Twitter