Delivery fees in Scotland: tell MPs your stories

Comments

• UKParliament
    UKParliament Posts: 749 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for contributing to this thread. The Scottish Affairs Committee were really impressed with your responses. The Committee have been sent all of your comments. They will be used to inform their questions to regulators, consumer groups, online retailers and delivery companies.

This thread will no longer be monitored but the Committee is holding its evidence session on delivery fees in Scotland on Tuesday 27 February at 9.45am. You can watch live on parliamentlive.tv. A transcript of the meeting will be published on our website shortly afterwards and can be found here.

If you would like more information you can visit the Committee website, or follow the Committee Twitter account @CommonsScotAffs.
    Official Organisation Representative
    I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
  • My postcode is EH12 which from one company is not eligible for next day although EH1-11 is. This is city of Edinburgh. On their website only Scottish post codes were not able for next day delivery. It was to take 3-5 days to deliver to EH12 whereas any area in England and Wales could get next day
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    My postcode is EH12 which from one company is not eligible for next day although EH1-11 is. This is city of Edinburgh. On their website only Scottish post codes were not able for next day delivery. It was to take 3-5 days to deliver to EH12 whereas any area in England and Wales could get next day

You are in the wrong thread and too late anyway.
    Its a clerical error. Simply contact the company.
    Hell,EH12 comes out of the same delivery office as EH11
    As for next day delivery,they can offer what they like. You cant force a company to lay on a bespoke service for you!
  • My post code is PH32, last week we had a log burner delivered from a company on eBay, based in Hampshire who offer free delivery. After the order was placed they contacted me to say there is a delivery surcharge of £50 to my postcode, that works out to be an extra 20% on top of the cost of the item.
  • custardy
    Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for contributing to this thread. The Scottish Affairs Committee were really impressed with your responses. The Committee have been sent all of your comments. They will be used to inform their questions to regulators, consumer groups, online retailers and delivery companies.

This thread will no longer be monitored but the Committee is holding its evidence session on delivery fees in Scotland on Tuesday 27 February at 9.45am. You can watch live on parliamentlive.tv. A transcript of the meeting will be published on our website shortly afterwards and can be found here.

If you would like more information you can visit the Committee website, or follow the Committee Twitter account @CommonsScotAffs.
    My post code is PH32, last week we had a log burner delivered from a company on eBay, based in Hampshire who offer free delivery. After the order was placed they contacted me to say there is a delivery surcharge of £50 to my postcode, that works out to be an extra 20% on top of the cost of the item.

See above

• We live in IV19 and on 10th February we ordered saucepans from an on-line UK based company “World Kitchen”. We had chosen this as they clearly stated on their front page and in their webpage headers “Free Delivery on all orders over £75 to all UK mainland customers”. When I got to the check out page there was a £20 delivery charge for the Scottish Highlands. As a result we have cancelled our order. This is deceitful advertising and the company should be instructed to remove their false claim immediately.
  • custardy
    custardy wrote: »
    See above

Hi everyone,

We live in IV19 and on 10th February we ordered saucepans from an on-line UK based company “World Kitchen”. We had chosen this as they clearly stated on their front page and in their webpage headers “Free Delivery on all orders over £75 to all UK mainland customers”. When I got to the check out page there was a £20 delivery charge for the Scottish Highlands. As a result we have cancelled our order. This is deceitful advertising and the company should be instructed to remove their false claim immediately.

Again,see above
  • I was looking to get some new home furnishings, so I hopped on the internet and came across happybeds.co.uk which has some neat stuff. Along the header it says "Free Shipping Available to UK Mainland". So I filled my basket close to £1,500 and headed to the checkout to fill in my details. The moment I typed in the start of my IV postcode the free delivery option vanished and was replaced with an £80 delivery charge. I live 30 minutes drive from the coast, I'm most certainly on the mainland. Have we gotten anywhere with fighting these insane delivery charges or do I just have to take the hit and pretend I bought myself an invisible wardrobe?
  • custardy
    I was looking to get some new home furnishings, so I hopped on the internet and came across happybeds.co.uk which has some neat stuff. Along the header it says "Free Shipping Available to UK Mainland". So I filled my basket close to £1,500 and headed to the checkout to fill in my details. The moment I typed in the start of my IV postcode the free delivery option vanished and was replaced with an £80 delivery charge. I live 30 minutes drive from the coast, I'm most certainly on the mainland. Have we gotten anywhere with fighting these insane delivery charges or do I just have to take the hit and pretend I bought myself an invisible wardrobe?

or dont order from them?
    If their carrier charges more,then where does the extra fee get covered?
  • Sure, that is indeed an option, one that I'm certainly leaning towards.

In regard to where any extra fees get covered to deliver to a mainland address, that's something they should have thought about before stating explicitly that they offer free delivery to the mainland. That's false advertising! I really feel that new laws should be created that ensure companies who have this kind of wording are forced to either waive the fee or change the wording so that it reflects the actual offer (i.e. Free Delivery to England Wales and parts of Scotland). And that should be reflected anywhere the words "free delivery" are mentioned, not just in the small print. This would ensure that customers aren't duped into spending hours deciding on products they want to buy expecting free delivery only to be presented with a ridiculously high fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure