Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2018 at 8:10PM
    Options
    Yes, indeed I am!

But I do sympathise with your position.

I'm afraid that you are a victim of history, where Kingston were allowed to set up on their own separate network from the Post Office.

Others on these forums have had the same problem with KC and I'm not sure that there has really been a satisfactory solution.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    darkovo wrote: »
    Yes I do in this day and age and for a full family of users.

It's pretty limiting.
    You do know the latest COD update is 50GB by itself, Red Dead 2 will be over 100GB in total also.
    There are console games btw.

Im fully aware of what games and consoles are :rotfl: . So you either measure those downloads per month and limit or cough up for unlimited.
    You make no argument for a hard cap on your downloads if you also want to drop 25% to 50% of your monthly allowance on one download.
    You could do the same by telling the kids they cant get the updates. Thats what your hard cap would do.
    Worse still it could cause you to have no internet and half a download.
  • darkovo
    darkovo Posts: 209 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ^ & ^^ That's what I'm doing already, managing internet usage in the household, I'm being a right fascist about it tbh. I'd love to go unlimited for an extra £276 a year!

I get it, not many people reading this so far have this kind of issue, lucky them. It also can't just be limited to the Hull area, can it?

I just think people should have the option to set their own cap, not worrying if they'll end up with a massive bill one month due to going over their usage by many GB's.
    I don't think this is acceptable not having the option, the only thing stopping this forced cap are ISP's due to it being very lucrative not allowing it. As original post says, ofgen have forced Mobile operators to allow caps, not much difference for ISP's to have to do the same in my eyes, the lucky people don't have to force a cap, they can ignore this option and carry on with their life.

The way technology is going and how accessing entertainment is and will be going, downloads are getting bigger and bigger, 4K video this, game update for 4K content that, etc. A few years it'll be 8K this and that, 200GB will last a week or so then!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 October 2018 at 5:34AM
    Options
    ^ & ^^ That's what I'm doing already, managing internet usage in the household, I'm being a right fascist about it tbh. I'd love to go unlimited for an extra £276 a year!

I get it, not many people reading this so far have this kind of issue, lucky them. It also can't just be limited to the Hull area, can it?

I just think people should have the option to set their own cap, not worrying if they'll end up with a massive bill one month due to going over their usage by many GB's.
    I don't think this is acceptable not having the option, the only thing stopping this forced cap are ISP's due to it being very lucrative not allowing it. As original post says, ofgen have forced Mobile operators to allow caps, not much difference for ISP's to have to do the same in my eyes, the lucky people don't have to force a cap, they can ignore this option and carry on with their life.

The way technology is going and how accessing entertainment is and will be going, downloads are getting bigger and bigger, 4K video this, game update for 4K content that, etc. A few years it'll be 8K this and that, 200GB will last a week or so then!

It can be limited to you,as AFAIK the Kingston set up is the only one like it in the UK.
    Not sure its 'lucky' to be in the 2nd most expensive city in the UK ;)
    Comparing to mobile operators isnt really applicable. The problem is you want to force Kingston to open their network to other companies at lower costs. Whats in it for them?
    You have speeds many would envy. Admittedly its expensive but its a cost of living where you are until a company can bring in hardware to open the market up.

As a comparison. VM would want £50 a month for 350meg with no phone (admittedly with the possibility of haggling a better deal)
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The OP asks if this problem only applies where they live , and the answer is probably yes, everywhere else has Openreach , and they are required to wholesale their products , and allow other operators like Sky , Talk Talk etc, to offer service over their network, the prices OR can charge are heavily regulated by Ofcom.
    The chances are most consumers are on 'unlimited' packages, as the savings are modest , if compared to a package with a only a set amount of data included in the monthly fee, in fact AFAIK, lots of providers only offer unlimited data packages.
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It probably is an issue local to Hull customers, unlimited is pretty much the norm everywhere else but Kingston have a natural monopoly as mentioned before. There is little incentive for
    ISP’s to go to the hassle and expense of setting up bespoke systems and processes that only give them access to one city. I’m not sure how true it was is but I did read sometime ago that exchanges in Hull typically served smaller populations than the rest of the country and so were less attrice for unbundling.
    As data consumption grows, unless Kingston increase the cap, it will become unsustainable to manage even with a hard cap.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kc's offering is not much different to other ISPs in the rest of the UK for FTTP products which equate with KC'S download speeds

Zen 300Mbps unlimited download £59.99
    BT 145Mbps unlimited £55 (only price I could find as you need to be capable of FTTP to get all their prices)
    Andrews & Arnold 160Mbps 2000Gb £55
    Cerberus 300Mbps unlimited £54

So all in all, Kc's offering for unlimited downloads at a higher speed than FTTP is comparable. OP, with the higher speed, just has the capability of getting through a fixed quota faster than those outside Hull.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So rather than pay £42 for 200Mbps (200GB limit) or £52 for 400Mbps (400GB limit) or £65 for 400Mbps (UL) you'd rather that everybody elses price goes up to pay for the cap to be put in place (and there would be a knock on effect). All of the above also includes 35Mbps upload which is probably faster than the average download speed in the UK.

Yeah, I can see why you feel hard done by.

Admittedly it is unfair for light users in your area but I'll bet you wouldn't be happy with a 38Mbps fibre deal if you're using that much data.
  • darkovo
    darkovo Posts: 209 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wow! I didn't realise I was on such a good deal, I should be thanking KCOM for allowing me to use their service, in fact they should be charging me more for being so special.

Instead of allowing a cap, which is why I created the original post, I've had my mind turned around to virtually thank them for forcing unlimited usage on my current package.

Thanks for pointing this out everyone!
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    It is, telecoms in Hull are a 100+ year old historical anacronism. The council owned telephone company didn't get nationalised into the GPO like everywhere else. It was actually good for the people of Hull at the start of the broadband revolution as Kingston rolled it out very early on while the rest of us were stuck paying call charges on dialup.

At any other telephone exchange in the country there is a choice of ISPs, even if there are no LLU providers, because the BT backhaul networks are present at all exchanges and there are many ISPs that offer services over them.

I do agree you should have the option for the connection to just stop when you hit your quota rather than running up over-use bills.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure