PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: My housemate has a bigger room - how should we split the rent?

Options

Comments

• RichardLP
    RichardLP Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2018 at 8:35AM
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    This week's money saver says....

That sounds like two people signing a single contract to me otherwise it would say, "I signed a new contract," or "we signed new contracts."

It depends on how much larger the other room is and if it comes with an en suite or some other significant feature that this week's money saver's room does not have.

This week's money saver and the flatmate could continue to split the rent as they have done in the past and swap rooms for the same time period. Alternatively the flatmate could propose what he thinks is fair and then the OP could propose tossing a coin for the larger room.

I am also going to assume it is a single contract and you have joint responsibility for payment.

In which case you each write down on a piece of paper the percentage of the total rent you would be prepared to pay for the larger room, (say 60%?). The person with the highest percentage gets the larger room and pays the percentage they promised.
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hold an auction. Either one-off bids, as RichardLP suggests, or just keep bidding for the better room until one person stops bidding.
    koru
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2018 at 9:45AM
    Options
    As mentioned earlier, you're not paying for just the room, it's the whole house you need to consider. If you've got, say, 8sqft less than you're housemate I think it's imperceptible in the grand scale of things if all other aspects are equally shared - so 50:50 would be fair. If your housemate ever moves on then you get the big room and the next guy or gal gets the smaller one.

If the other room was twice the size of yours and had an en suite then you'd have grounds to argue but without more info it's hard to give an informed, sensible answer.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Knock down all the internal walls and just have one massive room.

Then just split the rent equally.
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Presumably the larger room costs more to heat and clean. Do you split heating and electricity costs equally? If so, discuss this before signing an equal rents contract next time.
    Really boils down to common sense doesn't it? Think the value of friendship before saying something which might escalate into bitterness between you and your housemate.
  • chris5100
    Options
    I did this when I shared a house in London.

Work out total square metres, including garage/parking space plus garden space that you share. This is easier in London where gardens are 10SQM, if outside or having a massive garden, maybe price garden at £100 of rent and then calculate the indoor space on Rent - £100

Work out percentage of shared space and rooms for rent of £1500 pcm for 60SQM of space is £25 SQM
    Shared space including drive space/garden = 35QM = £875 so £437.50 each
    IE Room 1 = 10SQM = £250 room + £437.50 shared = £687.50 rounded to £700
    Room 2 = 15 SQM £375 + £437.50 shared = £812.50 rounded to £800

If there is a parking space and one of you uses this factor that in as a cost, unless of course on street parking is free or if there is a permit zone offer to cover cost of guest permits for your room mates friends or pay a premium for the drive (worth a £1000+ year in London!!! - based on renting drive out on a parking app).

Also bare in mind any dead space in a bed room such as boiler/water storage that might be unusable
  • jeanmd
    jeanmd Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd be more inclined to ask if the other housemate was there first. As they seem to have separate contracts could the housemate be paying for the smaller room, but moved over to the larger before the the posting tenant moved in. Otherwise, I'd go on square foot.
    £2021 in 2021 no.17 £1,093.20/£2021
  • LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Size isn't everything!!!
  • Benzo4
    Options
    I had this exact situation with a housemate of three years, the flat itself was large and we definitely wanted it regardless of the room sizes, but we couldn't decide who got the bigger room.

We both had legitimate reasons, neither of us wanted to pay more, and both rooms had Doubles (but one was twice the size). In the end, we flipped a coin and decided to swap after 6 months (based on a 1 year lease).

We stayed in the house for nearly 3 years and swapped back and fourth a further two times - a great opportunity to have a clean and a clear out. It was made easier by the fact we had a lot of space elsewhere in the flat to facilitate the shuffling of boxes.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    jonnygee2 wrote: »
    True, but that doesn't explain how the OP didn't actually know what rent the other person was paying?

Maybe this week's money saver isn't very good at maths and didn't realise (s)he was paying half otherwise why would the flatmate consider paying something different to what is stated in his/her own personal contract? It's all a bit odd.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure