Bed bugs

Comments

• I don't read the Daily Mail but I do love their online site, you pick up all sorts of bits, including bed bugs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6306803/Couple-says-weeks-holiday-cost-10-000-bed-bugs-followed-home-TUI-break.html
  • Goodness, I did post a reply earlier but this forum isn’t exactly user friendly, much like yourself....
    yes, we were approached by a journalist. She asked for our story to raise awareness which we gladly did. We are of the age where if you have nothing nice to say then don’t say anything.
    Our sofas were made by a company called Thomas Lloyd. Look them up and you will see that to replace them would cost in excess of £4,000 in their 40% off sale...... they might not be in the average Daily Mail reader’s taste but we liked them and they were very comfortable. Would YOU want to have something in your house that was harbouring bed bugs???
    We are honest hard working people and we can do without people casting aspersions on us!!!!!
  • Yes. Apparently they can be transferred via public transport too.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Tan1971 wrote: »
    Our sofas were made by a company called Thomas Lloyd. Look them up and you will see that to replace them would cost in excess of £4,000 in their 40% off sale......
    I feel for you, but I also think you over reacted. What you should have done is wrap the sofa in cling film except for two approx 3"-ish holes - possible at either end then rap all of this with a few blankets.get a hair dryer and push it in the hole so it seals the hole and turn it onto hot. The idea is that you want to heat the whole sofa up to 55-60c for about 90 mins and use a £8 instant read food (needle) thermometer. Possibly putting the sofa in black bin bang when we had those hot days would have done the trick too? Or a garage with a space heater?

A hot air gun will be too hot.

Yes you should not have to do this, but they have money, solicitors, time and a place where upon they can sit and ponder. Not saying you wont win, ...but solicitors will definitely win either way.
  • Tan1971 wrote: »
    yes, we were approached by a journalist.

Goodness, that's quite an invasion (not the bed bug type) if they just knocked at your door and asked for your story. How did they find you?
  • I was contacted via the internet and had a telephone interview. I was told this would help to raise awareness of bed bugs when travelling, unfortunately there are some really nasty people out there that have commented on the story and been really personal. It’s upset me deeply to read some of the comments, these people do not know us, maybe I did overreact by binning our lovely comfy sofas but I naively thought that once they were gone, so would the bugs be. Little did I know that they had already transferred up to our bed. We were only being bitten when we were on the sofa and we used our bedroom as a living room for several days before I discovered the bugs in our bed.
    The pest control people said that we had discovered the bugs very early on and they were amazed at how quickly we discovered them.
    I just thought by talking to a journalist that even if we helped one person to avoid what we’ve been through then that would be good enough. I certainly didn’t expect a backlash but then some people clearly have nothing better to do with their time.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I was contacted via the internet and had a telephone interview. I was told this would help to raise awareness of bed bugs when travelling, unfortunately there are some really nasty people out there that have commented on the story and been really personal. It’s upset me deeply to read some of the comments, these people do not know us ....
    I just thought by talking to a journalist that even if we helped one person to avoid what we’ve been through then that would be good enough. I certainly didn’t expect a backlash but then some people clearly have nothing better to do with their time.

Miserable gits, outraged slobs in filthy vests, and wind-up merchants from all over the world read and comment on the Daily Fail online for some reason. Some of the poor sods have Donald Trump telling them what to do!

It is not personal AT ALL, they don't know you remember?

You are FAR too defensive and FAR too sensitive right now. Go put a music radio station on too loud, sing out of tune and do a boring-yet-satisfying household chore (ripping up old paperwork? I should be ironing curtains).

((hugs))
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Fire_Fox wrote: »

It is not personal AT ALL, they don't know you remember?

((hugs))

Exactly. Please do not get upset over the internet trolls who have nothing better to do. You should just feel sorry for them and feel happy that you are not as bitter and twisted as them. They must have such miserable lives if all they can do is make cheap jokes about other people.

It is great that you have raised awareness of bed bugs. I check for bed bugs every time I stay away from home and it is only because of people like you who have publicised their plights that I even know about bed bugs.

Hotels need to realise that they also need to check for bed bugs every day so naming and shaming tour operators who book people in to hotels who do not do this is absolutely the correct thing to do.

Well done.
  • Thank you, I’m quite a sensitive person as it is and I don’t like mine or my partner’s integrity called into question :-(
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you, I’m quite a sensitive person as it is and I don’t like mine or my partner’s integrity called into question :-(

You do know that there are warehouses of trolls in Russia who are trying to destabilise the West but causing arguments on the internet?

You should only worry if someone you know questions your integrity, not professional trolls like on the Daily Mail.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback