The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Haggle with Virgin - our new guide

Comments

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    So what happens if they call your bluff and insist your "Cancellaton" goes thru?
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    roddydogs wrote: »
    So what happens if they call your bluff and insist your "Cancellaton" goes thru?

Not a lot. You cancel the cancellation and continue as before.
  • roddydogs wrote: »

It was a risk I was prepared to take, but my guess is they won't!
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,665
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've just cancelled as I wasn't happy with the deals they were offering me. How do I know they have my phone numbers as my account doesn't seem to have a place to list them, just my email address?

Also if you keep broadband and phone but ditch tv, do you lose the ability to watch freeview through the broadband and the use of the TIVO box?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • jem16
    Forumite
    Kynthia wrote: »
    I've just cancelled as I wasn't happy with the deals they were offering me. How do I know they have my phone numbers as my account doesn't seem to have a place to list them, just my email address?

Phone them up and ask them. They will of course have your cable phone number as they supplied it. If you want another number then give it to them.
    Also if you keep broadband and phone but ditch tv, do you lose the ability to watch freeview through the broadband and the use of the TIVO box?

You should be able to watch the free to air channels. I have no idea if recording would still be available - with Sky it wouldn't.
  • jem16 wrote: »
    Phone them up and ask them. They will of course have your cable phone number as they supplied it. If you want another number then give it to them.

You should be able to watch the free to air channels. I have no idea if recording would still be available - with Sky it wouldn't.

Are you sure ?

I think VM own the TIVO box and will ask for it to be returned as soon as you cancel TV.
  • Just to report some success, I just got our £68 per month bill for TV and Broadband reduced to £41 plus a £50 one off credit. I did it in one call but didn't accept the first offer, I perhaps could have gotten more if I'd pushed further but I was aiming £20 per month off so was happy.

New contract is 12 months (I checked) and the credit has shown on my account right away.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,124
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you fail to get anything decent through normal retentions you decline the offer and give your notice, someone from the "loyalty team" who are able to offer significant discounts will call back within days to give you a better offer.

In our case we've been a customer since NTL and clearly showed my disappointment with the price increases and heavy increases at end of contracts. In the end we got around ~£8 off per month off and line rental free for the year.

£32/mo for 70MB Broadband, TV M+ Tivo, Phone L (E&W), Asian mela inc line rental (free). Previously paying ~£50/mo
  • jem16
    Forumite
    I think VM own the TIVO box and will ask for it to be returned as soon as you cancel TV.

No I'm not sure at all. You're right in that Virgin own the box though.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,124
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    jem16 wrote: »
    No I'm not sure at all. You're right in that Virgin own the box though.

They usually ask back for latest release equipment so I assume they'd want Tivo back. They just said to recycle my old V+ HD box and old superhub when we got upgraded to Hub2 and Tivo.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback