PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Hubby was off to Mr S's so I asked him to get me 2 x 4 pints of milk...Mr A is 2 for £2...Mr S charged him £3.10...grrr. Updated siggy.
    Tonight's meal is HM veg chilli & either rice or Jacket potato and HM guacamole, bought 2 avocados for 50p at Mr M's at the week-end. (mashed with finely sliced onion, tomato, lime juice, crushed garlic, sliced red chilli pepper) mmmm

Yum! That sounds really nice!
  • wssla00 wrote: »
    Hi all :) Scrap the NSD I had planned- I have run out of cat food AGAIN! Really must order some on amazon to be delivered this week but will need some before it comes!

I am going to make OH's favorite bread today- Chollah! If anyone wants a recipe let me know and I will post it up. I know it's probably wrong but I love it with ham (I'm not Jewish so I don't think it matters too much to me...) and OH loves it with Jam. It's a bit like brioche but different.

Was going to put a sliceable loaf in the bread maker too as I'm running out of bread in the freezer. But may be swathed and make a wheaten instead!

Anyway I'm off to bread make! Have a good day all :)

ooohhhh, definitely recipe please, i adore chollah! and getting it from the proper bakers is a pain as i never seem to be there on the right day (ie not saturday!!)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Recipe for Chollah: I bake by hand but you could pop all of this into your dough programme on your bread maker but I find hand making it easier

Makes 1 large loaf, or six big rolls :)

200ml luke warm water
    3/4 tsp easibake yeast (I use doves farm)
    3/4 tsp salt
    2 eggs
    a good squidge of honey (about 60g)
    55g melted butter
    450g strong white flour
    egg wash

Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and with one hand mix together until you get a dough and all of the ingredients are combined. Turn out onto a floured work surface and grab the dough with your left hand (if you are right handed). With the heel your right hand (or vice versa) push the dough away from you, then using the fingers of the right hand pull it back (if you find it is too sticky, add a bit more flour) to make a mound again. Turn the bread 90 degrees and repeat.

Repeat this for ten minutes until you can stretch the dough without it breaking and it feels silky and smooth.

Shape the dough into a round and with a small amount of unflavoured oil or some more melted butter cover the dough

put it back into the bowl you mixed it with (wipe it out if there are any bits left in the bowl beforehand) and cover with a black bin bag. The black absorbs the heat and radiates it back to the dough.

Leave in a warmish place until the dough is risen to double in size

shape the dough either by plaiting it, making two rounds and putting one on top of the other or by dividing into six rolls.

Leave again to double in size again ad brush with egg wash

Bake in a preheated oven as high as it can go for the first ten minutes. When you put the bread/rolls in, have a baking dish of boiling water at the bottom of the oven to allow for oven spring (the final rise)
    after ten minutes check the dough and reduce it to about 170 if no browning has taken place
    160 if it is browning well
    150 if it is noticably dark and bake for about 15-20 mins

once the bread is cooked, the top should be a dark brown (but not burnt) colour and the bottom should sound hollow when you tap it.

Enjoy :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • A nsd for me with the exception of a 50p card which Im not taking from grocery budget. The card was for my return to work tomorrrow to say thanks to all those who sent me Xmas cards as they never got any from me as I was ill. Also said a thankyou for those who have been doing my work in my absence and have taken a weight off my mind for my return. I left a box of the bakin boys cakes from approved foods for them with the card in the staffroom-well- thats my bit done!:beer:
    I will take a packed lunch tomorrow-I may use some of the soups I bought from AF in a flask with a sandwich. So tomorrrow should also be a nsd. Eaten up the rest of my chicken and ham pie tonight so it wouldnt waste-minus the pastry as it would be too filling. Everyones been picking and making sarnies/soup today so I doubt I will bother cooking tonight.:D
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • boysma
    boysma Posts: 828 Forumite
    Hi all

Another 7.50 spent in Iceland today mainly cheese, ham & bread for packed lunches.
    Payment A Day £15 (started 17/5/14) :j
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    wssla00 - Chollah recipe in now in the index :T I like the sound of that one ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Realised when I went to put together one of my 'planned' dinners that I had forgotten a few rather important ingrediants. Opps. Still, refusing to give up on 'the plan' I threw together a delicious stir fry that was heavy on vegetables, dried chillies and garlic and light on sauces and chicken. And it was absolutely delicious ;)

10 days into the month and I'm still sticking to 'The Plan'.
    Mini Challenge - Halve 2nd Mortgage by Year End
    Starting: £10,000 Currently £8,142.62
    £3,142.62 to go!
  • Had to pop to I**land this morning for some bits I didn't get in Mr T's yesterday, Their NOM NOM corner yogurts are on offer again 2 multi packs for £3, got 3pks of angel delight for £1, for cheap puds, and 2 pks of willow butter for £1 got a couple of other bits and spent £9.70 in total, will update my sig in a min. Having corned beef hotpot for tea and might make a bread and butter pudding. Never made one but had some bread and milk given to me from work yesterday that needs using up. :)

I've never actually been into this shop apart from the once when I was driven out again by the packaged horror. Are there some good bargains that wouldn't make my salt/sugar/fat intake for the day quadruple?
    Mini Challenge - Halve 2nd Mortgage by Year End
    Starting: £10,000 Currently £8,142.62
    £3,142.62 to go!
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2011 at 8:20PM
    brodie Well done you at having so much of your budget remaining and your challenge ending sunday :T
    zcrat41 wrote: »
    In Dec my boyfriend proposed and became a fiancee!!! I moved in with him at the end of Dec
    Congratulations :j
    wssla00 wrote: »
    It's called doussy softcare (the white one). It's good as my skin is really sensitive but smells super dooper! It's £1.99 I think for 1.5l but it's concentrated so it's the equivalent of the massive ones you get from comfort and the like, so saves a bundle! I really like their cleaning stuff. The smells on them are pretty good!
    Thanks for that wssla00 I might give that a bash too. At the moment I'm using Da!sy which I'm happy with, but I love to try new things.
    I've been watering my fabric softener down by 50% for the last 4 months since reading about it on here,and one bottle is lasting me aaaages, and I can't notice any difference to my washing - so I'm very happy with that.

Is it your birthday tomorrow? If so HAPPY BIRTHDAY :bdaycake:
    What kind of tree are you getting?

scotsaver Great bargain of 7.5kg potaotes for £2.49!

Welcome to cat04 & velbels :hello:

poohbear59 - that's a really tough budget - well done on how little you've spent so far, and good luck for the rest of your month

SilverCo your Sausage Casserole sounds lush
    Tip for newbies: I have a long old list of regular meals I cook at home.
    They are organised by price, so when I'm at the end of my GC budget,
    I choose from the cheaper end of the list!! HTH someone.
    That's an excellent idea PennyGrabber :T

Rebelle I don't think many of us came in on budget on our first attempt I certainly didn't, in fact, in 6 months I've been trying, I've only managed it 3 times! lol - and I've reduced it this month for the first time.

Well done cat_smith on only buying what you went into Te$cos for

Linda32 you may still make your budget. Mine is £250 and I'm at £85.90, but I'm still hopeful :-)

dumpling I'm the same about having full freezers and cupboards, it freaks me out when either get low, which they are at the moment
    as I'm waiting for £idls to pull their finger out and have offers on chicken breasts and thighs, as after tomorrow nights Coq Au Vin, I wont
    have any of either left.

XSpender Embarrassingly, I don't know or understand how to do a spreadsheet, but I've created a very basic document in Notepad
    with headings like CHILLED/DAIRY, BREAD, FRUIT & VEG, HOUSEHOLD, MEAT, STORE CUPBOARD, TOILETRIES and so on, and everytime I buy anything, I enter it under the appropriate column and then add each column up at the end of the month - it soon becomes apparent where your biggest expense lays - something like that may be helpful to you maybe?

Sorry to hear about your oven Missus Aka - that's a bit of a blow I'm sure you could have done without :(
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Ooops - forgot to add :o
    Another NSD yesterday, resulting in very heavy bags today and spends of £23.02 bringing my total to £85.90
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport