PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I decided to bite the bullet and make a chilli tomorrow with the L1dl 30% off sticker 750g pack of mixed pork/beef mince I picked up 2-3 weeks ago.

I got the meat out of the freezer, stacked up some tins that can be chucked in, got the last 3 onions out and put those on the worktop, got the SC out ... so that's all ready for tomorrow morning and I'll not forget as it's all sitting out ready to be done :)

It's been as dry as a bone here for weeks now.

Just 2 minutes ago I heard an odd noise outside, I got up quietly and peeked outside, expecting to see some bird biting at something hard.... the noise was like a squirrel eating nuts, or a bird pecking at a snail - it turned out it was rain spots! Didn't expect that.

Today I've eaten twice, the sausage pizza and later on beans on toast. I really wanted that pizza again a bit later, but I'd have had to do it on toast and cook another sausage (and they're frozen, so CBA). I do like a sausage/cheese combo.

I've bread that's best by tomorrow and 1/4 of a cucumber that needs eating... but I'm out of eggs, so I might need to buy more eggs, or just have cucumber sandwiches tomorrow.

I never did get round to making the syrup loaf as I've been too busy eating other food that needed to be used up :) I also CBA to see if I've got the bicarb. Half my pots/spices were "tidied away/out of sight" for house viewings and half are out ... and I just couldn't face looking to see if I had got the bicarb + having to actually make the thing... then cook/wait for it :)

There's a limit to how much one can cook/eat .... but I'll get round to it one day.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi dekaspace :wave: are you able to batch cook and freeze so you can have a homemade ready meal for when you get home.

Today was very much the same as yesterday, we are system testing at work so the team is shut in a meeting room usually swearing for 6 hours a day, at least tomorrow will be broken by a two hour conference call with the system developers in India :wall: at least it pays the bills :o

I amused the builders tonight whistling for the cat, they were most impressed that he came running :D. It's the way I've trained all my cats it's just being cats they always hear you but sometimes chose not to acknowledge you :rotfl: It's not unusual for his lordship to come running and then get sidetrack half way up the path by something and then totally ignore me

Food wise today lunch was the same as yesterday salad with egg, seafood sticks and ff cottage cheese. Dinner was LO lamb meatballs with braised fennel and green beans
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • pattypan4
    pattypan4 Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Post
    Grhhh, I have wasted 2 whole days waiting in for deliveries that have not arrived. 2 companies that I have never heard of and parcelforce. They had better arrive today

I started with protibix and berries, I changed from 2 to 1 protibix after channel hopping last night and seeing that programme about 600 lb people who cannot move. That was the best incentive ever, to lose a bit of weight or to at least be careful. I`ll have a second breakfast later, maybe some sd toast and marmalade and an omlette. Main meal frozen nut roast and whatever veg I have and at some time the LO frozen hm yoghurt ice cream. That is it for the day, apart from a maybe soup and an apple. No biscuits or crisps or similar in the house, only some bath biscuits that I could have with a bit of cheese

I am not buying any more biscuits for `just in case ` visitors. I end up scoffing the lot and then feel guilty
  • PasturesNew
    edited 18 July 2019 at 10:19AM
    Since 4am this morning, I've not fancied making that chilli.

It's not hard.... I'd par-cook the mince and drain off any fat that comes out of it. I'd peel/chop 2-3 onions. Then it's swilling out 6 "empty" ketchup and brown sauce bottles I'd kept in the fridge as I kept saying "swill those out for the next SC meal" and kept forgetting. Then I just needed to open/drain/wash the contents of 2 cans and use 2 cans as they come. Twist a knob, flick the switch ...

CBA :)

I'll do it in a bit. No rush, it takes about 6 hours anyway, so if I don't get round to it until 12 it's still fine for tea-time :)

EDIT: It's on.
    750g mince, 2 medium onions (CBA to cut the 3rd), tin kidney beans, tin chickpeas, tin of tomatoes, splash of this and that, chili flakes. I might add in a tin of beans later, once it's cooked down a bit and there's room/I can see what's what.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,344 Forumite
    I had my usual toast for breakfast.

I have vacuumed and mopped the floor and put a load of laundry in.

I have tidied away my underwear with the new drawer dividers I bought.

I'm going to go to the shop and go for a walk and then have veggie sausages with baked beans and stir fried red onion, peppers and tomatoes when I get back.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 July 2019 at 3:35PM
    Yay, rain at last overnight. Not much but it's dusted off the plants and now it's humid

Porridge breakfast then into town, Keeping eyes open for SYRUP Caron.

Must be a run on it since the recipe, only had squeeze bottles, I want a tin with a dead lion &[STRIKE] flies[/STRIKE] bees on it. I'll check in L's tomorrow

Finished up getting most of my shopping in W*rose, found some YS posh streaky, and YS super posh lamb.

It was on offer, then YSd, now way I'd buy at normal price.
    It's in the oven now, today is "use by" date & it's too expensive to risk ponging by tomorrow

Lunch was BLT sarnie with the YS streaky

Dinner, not sure, should be lamb & cooked veg etc, but CBA so may turn into a lamb sarnie, or have some grilled streaky, eggs, mushrooms maybe?

I'm hedging bets and have another loaf in the Panny just in case it's lamb sarnie dinner.

I've got fresh mint. Cursing myself because I walked past new Cornish spuds in the greengrocer this morning:(

Update, 1530. Kitchen smelling of lovely lamb & fresh bread, licks lips
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    edited 18 July 2019 at 4:29PM
    I had a portion of chilli, with basmati rice, about 45 minutes ago.
    I've boxed up two tubs with 2-portions each, which are cooling before I pop them in the fridge.

Kitchen looked like a bomb'd hit it because I had all four tins I'd opened drip drying before I put them in the recycling bin; I had 5 empty/washed plastic sauce bottles drip drying ready to go into recycling + the empty/washed ex-mince plastic dish drip drying .... then there was the pyrex bowl I'd pre-cooked the meat in (in soak) and the SC pot (in soak) and the bowl I'd eaten chilli from (in soak). As I'd used a fresh spoon every time I had a poke/dabble, I also had every large spoon in soak. I've done all the washing up except the SC pot now.

Still loads of drying to be done and then, with space cleared a little, I can finally tackle the SC pot, which requires the draining board almost to itself.

There's also a cereal bowl, lined with foil, that contains all the fat I drained from the par-cooked mince, which is white and almost set now....

Chilli was super tasty. Lobbed in a spoon of cocoa, just because I had some and thought "why not"....

I've now got to eat a further 4 portions of chilli, then 3 portions of pie from the freezer and one bit of kebab meat ... and that's the freezer just about emptied, but that amount of food would be another week even if I am not tempted to eat something else/different instead :) There'll still be six sausages in the freezer, which will probably mean six sausage/cheese pizzas to be eaten the following week. :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone,

How frustrating patty pan, I hate when deliveries don't turn up when they should:mad:.

Mmm lovely smells Farway I can just picture you sniffing like a Bisto kid:cool:. Did you get a meat order sorted out?

Your chilli sounds tasty PN and worth the mess from making. :)

It was raining this morning so I cracked on with exciting things like changing my bed and doing laundry. After that it was a phone marathon to sort out some bits & bobs to due with my Dad and set up meeting the Estate Agent who's coming out tomorrow. Early afternoon my sis popped round for a couple of hours during which it dried up and when she left I managed to get a fair bit done in the garden. Discovered that I have 3 tomatoes nearly ripe in the greenhouse (Stupice and Maskota varieties).:D

Lunch was the last of the corned beef with lettuce, tomato and pickle in a sarnie with cucumber sticks and cherries.

I've defrosted a lovely looking FR pork chop for dinner which I'll have with the extra spuds I cooked last night and garden veg - courgette, french beans, broad beans, chard, calvo nero and kholrabi leaves. I thought there would be more French beans but there was just a small handful big enough to harvest but I was surprised that there was some broad beans ready. It was just so lovely to nip to the veg patch and pick all the veg for dinner, it's not at the point yet where I can do this daily but heading in the right direction.:D:D
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    You very kindly passed the rain onto us Farway it was raining when I got up and carried on as a gentle rain until noon :). I agree about W*itrose lamb, it's lovely but expensive I only usually buy it reduced and YS

I had a brief moment of panic at the petrol station when I couldn't find my cards case, luckily I was still sitting in the car so I wasn't standing looking a idiot at the till. It had migrated to the bottom of my [STRIKE]suitcase[/STRIKE] handbag (I must get a smaller bag and sort it) i worried I had dropped it at the cash point lunchtime, definitely raised my blood pressure :eek:

I got the last minute approval from my manager for a day off tomorrow, so I'm off to Dorset early to hopefully avoid the traffic, I've reluctantly agreed to pick my sister up on the way to save my BiL but it does add a good 45 minutes to my journey as I have to come off the M27 and I think I will then hit the rush hour traffic :cool: so no CFO this weekend but I may pop in to say hi and try and avoid murder, not sure whose and possibly mine :rotfl: I've promised to bite my tongue which doesn't always come easy with family :cool:

Lunch today was the last of the cottage cheese and seafood sticks in a salad. I was late finishing work today so dinner was a small cheese and tomato pizza from the freezer with extra bits on top I did wish I had sausage after PNs sausage pizza talk
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hope you have a lovely time in Dorset and there are not too many "smile and count to ten" moments;):D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback