Student loans for masters?

Course I am looking at has tuition fees of £10,500; on student loans company website it says you are entitled to £10906.00 for masters courses. So that means then over the whole year I would have £406 as effectively a living costs loan? Making part time work absolutely essential?

Comments

• CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Yup, that's it. If you're studying at the same Uni where you did your degree they often have discounts, so you get to use more of your loan for your living costs, look at their bursaries too. Students can study part time, but you'll only receive 50% of the loan each year if you do this so you'll still have to work.
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    As an aside, don't forget that when you start paying it back, different rules apply to separate (second) graduate degrees like Masters if not an "all-in-one" four or five year degree instead of an undergraduate degree to start.

You could ultimately be paying back 15%pa of part of your salary if you get a Bachelor degree first then do a Masters course.
  • bambinaUK
    bambinaUK Posts: 257 Forumite
    Research which Universities offer Bursaries.
    My daughter successfully applied for one at Durham and it paid for 50% of her Masters tuition.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure