£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Comments

• You posted that you were going to cut down on the to-do list and then this was your weekly list! I reckon of this list, only 3 and 5 are at all necessary and only then because it makes life easier in a few weeks from now. You're overloaded and it's almost Christmas, this is a ridiculous time to decide you need to declutter the utility room!
    Utility room is required in order to store the christmas presents! No other space in our teeny house. Have made a start on the knitting this weekend, which I'm pleased with.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Utility room is required in order to store the christmas presents! No other space in our teeny house. Have made a start on the knitting this weekend, which I'm pleased with.

Now there's a fantastic reason for buying less Christmas presents next year" :D :rotfl:

Hope you come back feeling refreshed. X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hope you have a great weekend, and get to relax. I only have two kids and I had my LBM before they were born, but I still had the years of jugggling housework, paid work and self employed work, making money and saving money with bringing up little ones.

I have a very small cleaning Rota over 3 weeks. Half an hour per day. We all put things away when we are finished with then - it’s a “rule”. It keeps me from stressing about the housework I know it will all get done as per my rota. Won’t suit everybody but it suits me. I also use my slow cooker a lo with “dump” recipes (sounds lovely!) just chuck the ingredients in and switch it on.

I try to do my self employed work when I have the most energy and when the kids are at their classes.

It’s really hard but you are juggling so much! Try to cut out the none essential, delegate /automate/simplify the rest and try and claim some time back with your family.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • :mad: I just wrote a long message and the page did something weird and deleted it. :mad:

I'll come back again, but :wave: hello ToPM: I've been reading but not posting as Real Life has been very busy.

Congrats on the remortgage but what was the reason for it again? I think I missed that. Was it to consolidate debt, do the extension or something else?

See you soon. :)
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • Excellent news on the remortgage! :T:T:T
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Week 41: Day 2

Arrived home yesterday to find the mortgage offer letter, hurrah! So can confidently say it's going to happen now. The remortgage is because our fixed term has come to an end, but during the application process our broker mentioned that she could get a mortgage that would roll the Tesco loan into it. The monthly saving is almost the entire Tesco loan repayment sum. The saving is actually a fraction smaller than originally calculated - closer to £350 than £385, but I'll take that. I need to sit down at some stage this week and redo our SOA. Unfortunately I think we're going to have to get through December's payment on the SVR first, as it won't go through in time to pay off the previous mortgage before then. It is, of course, rolling unsecured debt into secured, but we're OK with that - our priority is keeping our monthly outgoings low enough to avoid a DMP and making the extension in 15 months or so possible, and once that's done we can tackle overpaying.

Have realised that between paying off the MBNA and the Tesco loan, we will have reduced our debt to 'only' two CCs, the parental loan and the mortgage. The numbers haven't shifted a great deal, but the amount of control I feel over the whole situation since LBM back in February is a world apart.

earthgirl please tell me more about your cleaning rota! Trying to pick up all the tips I can here to keep on top of it without it controlling my time so much.

Not a totally budget weekend as I had to buy a new iron(!), but had a few nectar points so was able to get some money off with their double up event thing. Ended up spending £45 on a £65 iron. Going to keep the receipt, as I'm sure the previous one hasn't lasted very long (can't remember if it's a year or more), and I'm going to take this one back if it goes the same way - have gone for a different brand though. Maybe it couldn't cope with the amount of use it gets. :D

Haven't planned out this week at all, got back from ILs' (hellish drive, all the DCs were knackered-but-wired) and went straight to bed, so will get on that as soon as I've done my yoga this morning. I have one day working away this week, but three days at home to get on top of work admin, life admin and hopefully the house a little bit. Going to try to maximise achievement without also maximising my overwhelm.

I'm working away for three days next week, which will cover a good chunk of Christmas presents. DH and I also have our birthdays in December/January, which needs paying for (and anyone who suggests no gifts is getting a hollow laugh and a raised eyebrow from me :rotfl: ). I'm glad I reduced the limit on the partnership card a few months back, as that feels like a hard limit on any excess spending.

To do today
    1. plan week's work.
    2. check in with my budgets and look at what's available to spend still on Christmas.
    3. check through a piece of contract work.
    4. pack orders for smaller business.
    5. get on top of one room - kitchen, probably - lots of rushing around on Friday means most rooms are looking a little dishevelled!
    6. menu plan for week - going to visit another set of relatives next weekend so only need to plan up until Friday, but do need to include another car picnic for Friday's dinner. We have lots of food in the freezer, hoping for <£40.
    7. type up the little notes for each day in the advent calendar (which tell the children what activity we're doing each day - I have a template from last year so just need to type in each day's activity according to the plan I already have).
    8. make a little more progress on the unicorn I'm knitting for DC3 - it only needs legs and a horn knitting, and then stuffing and construction. Had forgotten how quick knitting toys is.

To do this week
    1. declutter and tidy utility room - it is such a dumping ground.
    2. put advent calendar together.
    3. do the next chunk of Christmas shopping - stockings.
    4. buy some fabric for a tree skirt - just going to drape some linen over the table where the tree will go, nothing fancy.
    5. make more candles

To do this month
    1. Keep the total spend at the budgeted level - it's high on YNAB this month (£3,842) as it includes the £470 paid off the MBNA card and all our savings pots are actually budgeted. This is not going well.
    2. Keep a tight record of Christmas spends so I can ensure it sticks to budget as far as possible. Ongoing.
    3. Keep beavering away at my business goals. Ongoing.
    4. Make some candles - we've run out! And I know one person really wants another one for Christmas, so will add it to her hyacinth. Done! Although I'll probably use them up and need to make more before Christmas.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's lovely to hear you sounding more positive. :) Glad your weekend worked out OK.... bet you want to frame that letter for the remortgage. :D

Regarding the housework - have you looked on the 'old style money saving' thread? There's 'Fly lady' on there with simple daily routines, very flexible according to how much time you have..if you haven't seen it have a look - it might just work for you.
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well done on the remortgage :)

If you're consolidating the Tesco loan into it, I'd seriously consider carrying on paying roughly what you are now as overpayment with the following in mind:

- claw back on the LTV ahead of extension
    - its not a brilliant plan to turn 5y debt into 25y debt as the longer term offsets the interest saving
    - not convinced you are embedded enough into your new budget and mindset to be 'safe' with some material savings accruing. Too much temptation possibly eg your first thought for Christmas is goose - the most expensive option of many lol.

Another thought I had would be to ask the family member who lent the £20k if you could repay/save with them with a view to redrawing for the extension when the time comes. You did say I think at the start of your diary that they expect you to be saving to repay them but would also be happy for you to 'redraw' for other projects. It would put that money just a bit further out of temptation's way and also address the underlying agreement you have with them which you aren't currently honouring ( but which they don't know about if I remember correctly)

And be a little kinder to yourself with time - choose some shortcuts. Hopefully also the money saving/debt busting will become second nature soon and not require quite as much 'headspace' as it currently occupies.

Seriously, ration your time - its valuable and so are you :)
  • I think I posted this on the weekend, but with the saving we're going to give ourselves £50 extra leeway in the budget, and the rest will be divided (in some split TBC) between debt overpayment and savings/paying for things like the architect on the way to getting the extension. Going to sit down and do the sums today. The goal is still to enable the extension, so there's plenty of incentive to keep saving/overpaying the debt to make it happen, rather than absorbing the extra money into our budget.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I know you did, I wasn't ignoring it. It was just my take on the possible 'risks' of your plan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback