Memorygirls - Make Do and Mend

Comments

• Memory_Girl
    Memory_Girl Posts: 4,957 Forumite
    Course I'm reading your rambles - I have to as you're a fellow Fifer.

Best of luck with the house organisation - and when you're finished do you fancy tackling my garage????

Welcome aboard ClootiesMum

Of course I'll clean out your garage - it's no problem organising other peoples spaces - Its my own I have a problem getting sorted :rotfl:

Got a mad plan. I've popped my digital timer next to the computer and I'm going to set it for 15 minutes - then for 15 minutes I'm going to pop on loud music and tidy for all I am worth. Then if I want to I can have 15 minutes with a cuppa and a surf on here - as long as I set the timer to go back to work in 15 minutes.

Might even persuade DS to do a 15 minute pick-up in his room.

For the first 15 minutes - I fed the boys breakfast.

Scotch Pancakes

120g SR flour
    Pinch of salt
    20g sugar
    1 egg
    Milk to make thick "droping" batter

Beat all together then cook a tbsp at a time on a hot greased griddle or frying pan.

This makes 21 pancakes and costs 14p for the mixture. Kids eat about 6 for breakfast with some fruit n juice.

FIRST 15

Wash bedding - remake bed and strighten up bedroom.

Off we go

Memorygirl
    FINALLY AND OFFICIALLY DEBT FREE
    Small Emergency Fund £500 / £500
    Pay off all Debts £10,000 / £10,000
    Grown Up Emergency Fund £6000 / £6000 :j
    Pension Provision £6688/£2376
  • ClootiesMum
    ClootiesMum Posts: 1,606
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a confession - I do the kitchen timer thing too - seems to work for me. Then I get a reward of coffee or chocolate.:T
    Debts 07/12/2021
    #280/#310.08/#450/#575.47/#750/#1000/#1200/#1848.83
  • Memory_Girl
    I have a confession - I do the kitchen timer thing too - seems to work for me. Then I get a reward of coffee or chocolate.:T

Oooh!! I'd be as high as a kite - and wide as a barn door.

Be fun though

Memorygirl
  • ClootiesMum
    ClootiesMum Posts: 1,606
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oooh!! I'd be as high as a kite - and wide as a barn door

Afraid to say I am :o
    Debts 07/12/2021
    #280/#310.08/#450/#575.47/#750/#1000/#1200/#1848.83
  • Memory_Girl
    Another 15 minutes

Hang out washing
    Sort through ironing basket
    Stack baby's toys on new storage shelf area

Then A cuppa and a spot of breakfast

Then next 15 minutes

Sort through all the baby's toy boxes - make up the puzzles and store like with like

Then take 15 minutes to shower and clean bathroom

Its a plan .................

Memorygirl
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,945
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I can feel a dedicated storage area being cleared in the attic to store his "you'll grow into them someday's". Definitely going to create a season / size page for my household manual so that I can see at a glance what "I've got in stock" IYSWIM. Would be like creating a stock-cupboard for the future full of bargain acquisitions now that will be like gold in the future.

Hi Memorygirl,

great to see how you are getting on - I remember your pennies and nappies post.

I have a pressie stash that I add to every time I see a bargain (big family) so I have Christmas 2010 and 2011 sorted for some people already. I also stock up on things we will use when they are on offer and put them away in the airing cupboard or sideboard (clothes or perishables - I don't think Tea Bags go in the airing cupboard :D). I have trousers for OH that he won't need for two or more years but it took me several years to replace the last ones and they were £3 or £4 per pair when I found them.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • Memory_Girl
    Hi Katsu

I think forward planning is the only way to go - to even out the peaks and troughs that life throws.

Since I was left that day with 71p by the bank I have built up a stock cupboard to make a whole WI group proud. I buy in bulk when stuff is on offer and I stockpile stuff like rice, pasta, noodles, flour, yeast, sugar (I've even got a Xmas pudding tucked away for next Chrimbo!!!)

I will never be in the position of not being able to food on the table ever again.

I also feel like I am stockpiling for a war - and actually it is a war. Me against the Bank so its quite appropriate. So a good cupboard makes me feel secure.

I'm letting everyone I know that I am living by "Make Do and Mend" for the future and peeps have been great at handing on stuff - empty jam jars for making jam - frozen fruit to make the jams, wool and clothing for the boys, old paint to spruce my home up a bit (some designer wallpaper - but shhh don't tell my Mum cos she'll love it.

I just have to get my creative head on and keep taking baby steps towards financial security.

Back to sorting out legos and cars

Memorygirl
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Buffythedebtslayer Posts: 18,921
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I didn't read your previous diary, but am loving this one! You are so focussed

happy lego sorting xxxx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    hi, i read a little of your last diary but not much. I'm certainly going to subscribe to this one as you seem to be living a really amazing life. I look forward to seeing what you get up to.
  • Memory_Girl
    Lemon_Tree wrote: »
    hi, i read a little of your last diary but not much. I'm certainly going to subscribe to this one as you seem to be living a really amazing life. I look forward to seeing what you get up to.

Don't know about an amazing life:D Just me and two boy's bumbling along. I'm saving up to have a truly amazing life one day though:rotfl:

Lego's sorted - FANFARES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of the baby's stuff is now placed on bookshelves in the hallway so that he can help himself - and learn to put away again (hopefully in the future) - so now we have no more random baskets of tat - we have respectfully arranged shelves of tat instead :rotfl:

If I can figure out how to insert pictures I would show you.

Going to treat myself to a cold glass of diet coke with ice (well LIDL variety of coke anyways - LOL) and then stand back and admire my handiwork for 10 minutes.

Next - bring the livingroom back to some semblence of order.

Wish me luck

Memorygirl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing