Mummytogirls - 100 years to be debtfree - I think not!

Options

Comments

• *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome to diaryland and good luck with your journey.
    I hit about £20 000 at the height of my debt but after lots of work and lots of inspiration and support from this place I'm finally debt free and saving now! It is well worth the effort!
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey you 2 thanks very much for your replies!

Lemontree - it did feel very good about freezing the interest rate and also removing temptation in one go :beer:!!

Jellie - well done you on getting rid of your £20000 worth of debt. I did notice in your signature its quite recent so well done you :T!
    How long did it actually take you then?

Well nothing much going on here. Had a nsd yesterday and need to get some bread on the way home tonight so will spend about £1.50 today!!

Thanks again for your support..
    Mummytogirls x

• *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Jellie - well done you on getting rid of your £20000 worth of debt. I did notice in your signature its quite recent so well done you :T!
    How long did it actually take you then?

I only started keeping track just over a year ago by which time most of it had been cleared. This is probably the first time I've been debt free for 10 years at least!
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • mummytogirls
    Options
    Morning diary, sorry its been long time no entry! Just do not seem to get the time at home with 2 lo's running around.

Jellie, thats fab well done you, bet it feels so good to be debt free.

Well nothing too exciting to report. Ive just totted up my spending diary and it stands at £407 with 10 days to go until the end of the month. I spent £700 last month which was a short month so im hoping to be able to keep well away from that figure! Got a couple of childrens parties coming up so im hoping to be able to shop around this weekend for bargains for their pressies!

Catch up soon!
    Mummytogirls x

• BEAT_THE_DEBT
    BEAT_THE_DEBT Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi been reading. We used to spen about £500 pound per month in tesco got that down to about £60 max now.x
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    blimey BTD that's a massive reduction in supermarket shopping!
  • BEAT_THE_DEBT
    Options
    Hi Lemon the secret is i send hubby now and he only buys what is on the list.x
  • josephine82
    josephine82 Posts: 449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi mummy!

Have you thought about doing an internet grocery shop once or twice a month? If you have enough space then you could bulk buy bread & milk etc.. Then all you would need to spend would be the fresh stuff every so often.
    Few comments- hope helpful:

February
    67.05Hair/beauty - can you get your hair done at a local college, or maybe every other month etc for a bit? I go to my college and they charge £5.50 a time- and they cut really well.
    29.83Takeaways/meals out- do you always hunt for a voucher for meals out? I also tend to 'book in' my monthly takeaway so I can look forward to it and therefore don't get tempted on the way home etc.

Good to hear about the spending diary. This is really the best thing that makes you take a long hard look at what you are spending.

Good luck!
    Debt free as of 2 October 2009
    Mortgage free as of 27 March 2024
  • mummytogirls
    Options
    Afternoon all, thanks very much for your comments.

BTD - wow £60 thats really good! How many of you is there in your household?
    DH would spend more than me if I sent him! I have found writing it all down has actually made me think do we actually need this? Whereas before it would be straight in the trolley without a second thought. Probably because if would be paid straight onto the credit card!

Josephine - I did used to do internet shopping which does work but I use Sainsburys which I know isnt the cheapest. Tried Tescos and couldnt seem to get on with them! So next month I am going to try home bargains and then a supermarket shop a couple of times a month.
    Re hair and beauty, that does seem a bit excessive doesnt it! Just looked back in my diary and the main expense that month was I had ended up getting roped into a templespa class at my house by a friend. Ended up buying some very expensive handcream just because it was one of the cheapest things in the book! Wont be doing that again thats for sure. I get my hair cut at someones house and its only £10 bargain!!
    Re the takeaways/meals out, that included a £24 trip to pizza hut which was using the bogof voucher on here! I did think it was a bit expensive but I suppose once youve added up drinks and the kids icecreams it all adds up doesnt it!
    Your right the spending diary has really made me think about what im spending, wish id started it sooner but heyho!

Waving hi to Lemontree!!

Thanks again for all your comments, its good to see things from other peoples points of view. I need to track down all your diaries, read what your all up to!! x
    Mummytogirls x

• BEAT_THE_DEBT
    Options
    Hi we are three, two adults and a 6 year old boy.xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income