PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cooking a whole duck

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Leave the duck uncovered for 24 hours before cooking to allow the skin to dry out before rubbing in the salt, this should help it to crisp. As wigginsmum says it's vital to have the duck raised out of the roasting tray....if you don't have a wire rack rest it on some scrunched up tin foil.

I make a sauce using morello cherry jam and any good red wine. Combine the two in a saucepan (1 part jam to three parts wine) and reduce over a lowish heat, then use a fine sieve to strain it.

Pink
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    so as i have to defrost it i should defrost for 24 hrs then 'dry out' for another 24?
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm not really sure about that Sarah as I've only ever cooked fresh duck. What about defrosting it uncovered? ie in the fridge with all packagaing removed?

Pink
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    There's another dicky duck thread here :D

Edited to say that there's surprisingly little meat on the average shop bought duck. A whole duck is enough for two of us as a main meal. For Chrimbo dinner I would strip all the meat/skin off the breast and take to the table on a plate with the legs and thight seperate. Because of the heat and amount of time cooking the drumsticks are usually a bit burnt and crispy so maybe you could try covering the legs with foil for the majority of the cooking time.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Maybe you should edit the title of your thread sarah. ;)

Something entitled 'Duck hints' just makes me want to shout........'swim, swim for your lives' :rotfl:

Sorry.......I'm bored.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Jay-Jay_4
    aliasojo wrote:
    Maybe you should edit the title of your thread sarah. ;)

Something entitled 'Duck hints' just makes me want to shout........'swim, swim for your lives' :rotfl:

Sorry.......I'm bored.

:rotfl: it make me want to shout "DUCK!!!!!!" :D

• aliasojo
    Thank the Lord! I sometimes feel that I'm the naughty kid in class when I visit OS. Come sit with me Jay-Jay....we can be expelled together. :rotfl:
  • Frogling
    Frogling Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    I always 'blot' duck with kitchen roll or a clean tea towel to absorb any excess moisture from it. If you can bear it, try and give it a little rub inside too (sorry, sounds rude!). I !!!!!! the skin all over with a skewer and then rub salt and fresh black pepper into the skin. During cooking, I tend to remove the bird from the oven a couple of times to drain the fat off

As far as sauce goes, either make an orange sauce or - and this is the one I always use when I'm busy with other things and don't want to faff around - Morello Cherry sauce (as pink-winged suggested). All you do is take 12oz morello cherry jam (the best you can buy) and 150ml red wine, mix them together in a saucepan and simmer on the hob for 10-20 minutes. This amount usually serves 6-8 people in our house, and you can make it in advance and just reheat to serve. I don't bother sieving mine, as I like it just as is. I sometimes add a tiny amount of freshly grated ginger to give it an extra zing, but it's nice enough on its own and it's a doddle to make.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Lidl do the best cherry jam ;)

• aliasojo
    Sometimes Jay-Jay........I think OldStyle just isn't the place for you. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport