The Giving Up Smoking Thread!! Part 2

Comments

• utopiah
    utopiah Posts: 316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    hi
    I am new to this site but I would just like to offer my words of support to all you out there who are quitting smoking. I gave up smoking on the 7.1.06 nearly 3 years now, i smoked 20 a day for 22 years and thought i would never or couldn't give up. I read Allan cars book which helped me immensly but whatever method you are using keep going it only gets better. I now do not need to find the money for cigs which i would if i'm honest would be the first thing I would make sure I had money for. My sense of smell/taste has improved, my fitness/energy levels, I can stay in a nice warm pub and not have to stand on the pavement in the cold. So all of you keep going, best of luck it is sooooo worth it.
    Mortgage free 25/9/2019 8years and 7 months early 😁😁😁
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your excellent advice utopiah and congratulations for your 3 year anniversary coming up!! :D
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • Sue-UU
    Sue-UU Posts: 9,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi to everyone, especially all those who are fresh quitters! Make a firm resolve to yourselves at the start of each day, also for the time being, alter your habits a bit, you'll find it helps a great deal.

Headaches BlueIsTheColour can be normal for the first few days, dizziness too, drink plenty of water to help hydrate you, get plenty of fresh air and walks and push ahead as that will soon pass. Though for anyone on Champix you may well be aware that it can easily be due to the drug itself. If it lasts too long then have a word with your Dr or your Pharmacist. Was so pleased to read that the clementine benefitted you, keep them up, the thumb sucking too if it keeps you from the evil things!!! Such thoughts as you've stated above usually indicate that either YOU need more clementines or your OH needs a lot of help!!! ;)

daleigha you have so many wonderful events to spur you on, especially your Wedding. Keep focused on that and your loved one, enough to put any one off of ciggies! You can then breeze down the aisle smelling so wonderfully fresh. :D

You're doing marvellously Schmickle, keep it up and keep strong as 9 weeks is GREAT!!!!:j

Good luck jinty! You tackle it in the best way you possibly can, just make sure you WIN!! :D

Hi Graeme, we often hear of people being very thirsty - drink plenty of water, especially at times when you may have cravings. Also, drink plenty of orange juice as the Vit C is good for the cravings as well as you. Re the craving sugar, give way to it sensibly as it's your body asking for it to help you through, just know when to call it enough and move on to sour sweets and sucking ice poles! They really do help.

Keep as busy as you possibly can Scruffy Baz, it's great therapy and keeps you mind off of other things!

Good advice you've given MoonRose77, that usually goes to show that the person advising is coping quite well. Keep both up!!!

All the very best queen vi, I hope the report is the one we're hoping for!!! You may well set a great example for your DH too! It's happened a lot on the old thread. Have a read through of the old thread everyone, there are lots of inspirational posts on there, very many successful quitters too!! Make yourselves successful quitters of 2009! :j

utopiah your excellent advice is so welcome as it helps so much to motivate those going through the process. Many congratulations for your forthcoming 3 year anniversary, you've done yourself very, very proud!!!

Keep coming on to the thread even if you're in a foul mood, help get yourself feeling much better by talking to us. We'll gladly support you through it. All the best everyone and please help give yourself such a great gift this year, the gift of life! Not just for you, but for all those who love you dearly and want you with them! Keep very strong!

Sue
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 = £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48 17 = £871.52 18 = £800.00 19 = £851.022021=£820.26[/SizeGrand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!! 2015 = £52.852.06! 2016 = £52, 002.40!! 2017 = £50,456.23!! 2018 = £47, 815.88! 2019 = £38.538.37!!!! :j
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How's everyone doing today?
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • queen_vi
    queen_vi Posts: 993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    its 12 hours since i stopped (cheating saying that as was asleep for a lot of it )not had one this morning mouth feels very dry and need to have something in it when on computer .will come back later to let you know how i am doing
  • I had been intending to pack in over the Christmas period anyway. Had a stroke of luck? in that I have had a very bad cold so idea of smoking has been yuck for the last few days.

Not had one since Tuesday now.

To try and keep myself going I have been putting the money I would have spent on fags into a jar. Reasoning being that if I can see how much money I'm not spending on smoking it will help to keep me going. Have done myself a little spreadsheet to make sure I put in each day and to monitor how much I should have saved.
    By my reckoning £295 by the end of February :eek: Total of £1825 for a year, which is quite frightening as that would be more than half of my credit card debt cleared!

Reason for quitting is threefold for me, health (obviously), to put the money towards my debt and also I have a classic car which isn't far from being finished and on the road and I am adamant I am not going to smoke in it.
    Smoke free since November 2009.
    Creditcard: Jan 2010 £2276.44. Less than £250 to go.
    Barclaysloan: March 2010 2764.66. Gone
  • Sue-UU wrote: »
    Headaches BlueIsTheColour can be normal for the first few days, dizziness too, drink plenty of water to help hydrate you, get plenty of fresh air and walks and push ahead as that will soon pass. Though for anyone on Champix you may well be aware that it can easily be due to the drug itself. If it lasts too long then have a word with your Dr or your Pharmacist. Was so pleased to read that the clementine benefitted you, keep them up, the thumb sucking too if it keeps you from the evil things!!! Such thoughts as you've stated above usually indicate that either YOU need more clementines or your OH needs a lot of help!!! ;)

Sue

Thanks Sue, you're so supportive, its great, still no cigs so thats good, headache calmed down slightly as has the urge to kill OH :rotfl: Although he is quitting too, so I guess its understandable, I just have to learn to count to 10 more :D

Best go to Tesco to stock up on clementines :D
  • chevettehs wrote: »
    To try and keep myself going I have been putting the money I would have spent on fags into a jar. Reasoning being that if I can see how much money I'm not spending on smoking it will help to keep me going. Have done myself a little spreadsheet to make sure I put in each day and to monitor how much I should have saved.

Myself and lots of others downloaded the Silk Quit Meter (google it) and that will tell you how many pennies you ahve saved - saves you having to do any work! It also tells you how many cigarettes you have not smoked, I've currenly not smoked 1291 which is pretty scary!!
    On a mission to banish our credit card debts
    Jan 2011: £28342 :embarasse Credit card Debt Free Date: July 2015
  • Myself and lots of others downloaded the Silk Quit Meter (google it) and that will tell you how many pennies you ahve saved - saves you having to do any work! It also tells you how many cigarettes you have not smoked, I've currenly not smoked 1291 which is pretty scary!!

Thank scmhikle I'll have a look at that.

My parents both used to be heavy smokers who have quit, so hopefully they will be understanding of it too. Mother quit when she fell pregnant with me and my father quit about 5 years ago.

I was told by someone some time ago that quitting was very similar to being an alcoholic, i.e. your still a smoker, you just don't actually smoke if that makes any sense.
    Smoke free since November 2009.
    Creditcard: Jan 2010 £2276.44. Less than £250 to go.
    Barclaysloan: March 2010 2764.66. Gone
  • chevettehs wrote: »
    I was told by someone some time ago that quitting was very similar to being an alcoholic, i.e. your still a smoker, you just don't actually smoke if that makes any sense.

That is exactly how I feel - I know that just one drag and I'll be back on 20 day a day -I always hated so called "social" smokers - what's that all about?!
    On a mission to banish our credit card debts
    Jan 2011: £28342 :embarasse Credit card Debt Free Date: July 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family