Refused to take disability scooter

My dad booked a holiday at the start of June and advised that my mum would need to take her disability scooter. This was all noted and booked. Yesterday he received a call to say that Tui are only allowed to carry two scooters on a plane and they could not take there’s!? They have never had a problem before and the only solution is to pay out to hire one in Ibiza but have told there is only one hire company on the other side of the island?? Help

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ask the hire company if they will deliver to the hotel.
  • We are going to ask this but they have been quoted an extra £350 when they was told in store it was all booked on just seems really unfair!
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    TUI suggest on their website to contact their Welfare team to check if space is available and to reserve PRIOR to booking the holiday -

“It’s essential that you call our Customer Welfare Team before you book to make sure we can carry your wheelchair – there’s a limit on how many electric mobility aids we can take on each flight.”
    https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/faq/customer-welfare

Do you know how ‘Dad’ booked the holiday? Was it direct with TUI on the phone or in one of their stores? If so it sounds like possibly the TUI agent did not follow their own internal process.

Could Mum Manage just with a regular wheelchair?
  • He booked in store and was told it was all ok. That’s why it’s so frustrating. I think you are correct that they must of not done it. I think he will have end up paying the extra just doesn’t seem fair!
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In which case this is one for the store to sort out, they made the balls-up, up to them to rectify it.
  • He booked in store and was told it was all ok. That’s why it’s so frustrating. I think you are correct that they must of not done it. I think he will have end up paying the extra just doesn’t seem fair!
    You were told it was OK, but do you have anything in writing referencing the mobility scooter - e.g. on the holiday invoice? If not, then unfortunately its a he said / she said scenario - often you end up in a worse position booking in-store than over the phone, as the phone call is likely to be recorded.

Check what documentation you have that mentions any confirmation regarding the scooter, but then also read the T&C's you would have received, as TUI might well have a clause that means they can then refuse to take a scooter due to operational reasons.
  • They are not very helpful to be honest
  • I didn’t think about any paper work I will get him to check! Thank you
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Given this was a TUI in store booking I would be tempted to speak to the welfare team who made contact with you as well at the actual agent in store and suggest they sort out the internal TUI mistake between themselves and just let you know when sorted out.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    We have always used https://www.mobilityequipmenthiredirect.com
    They are a Glasgow based company with contracts in most popular destinations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure