We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Earwigs

Has anyone had or have experience of getting rid of earwigs in your garden?

I went into the garden the other night to find 100's of the blasted things all over my plants.

We spent years battling slugs/snail infestations and have only just managed to get on top of that, only to now have a new pest devouring our garden.

Absolutely gutted :(

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,115
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    earwigs are mixed blessing. They can be trapped in upturned flower pots on sticks, but AFAIK a general spray & kill the lot product does not exist

I think you will need to protect your most precious plants, dahlias are one victim that springs to mind
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Unless you are producing prize blooms for shows, earwigs are not usually a major issue. We have them and I don't notice if they do damage or not, but I suspect their numbers are contained by other creatures, like birds.

If your garden is 'infested,' it's possibly because the natural ecosystem that puts a brake on population explosions is broken.

There's no quick fix.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can't imagine why they would be a problem, aren't they beneficial?

Follow Monty's advice and leave out the chemicals and let everything find a natural balance
  • Buy a copy of Dave Goulson's new book, "The Garden Jungle". Just read the part on Earwigs. They are such a good predator in apple orchards that some growers collect them from gardens and introduce them - having lost their original populations due to pesticide use. I'm a pro-gardener and owned my present ,no chemical, garden for 26 years and so I'm sure I have a balanced ecosystem in my garden. Most non 'green' gardeners are just LOOKING for problems. "Devouring your garden" - really?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure