Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 18th Jun 19, 6:38 PM
    • 398Posts
    • 199Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    BT Sport and TV customers to face price hikes from next month - MSE News
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:38 PM
    BT Sport and TV customers to face price hikes from next month - MSE News 18th Jun 19 at 6:38 PM
    Hundreds of thousands of BT Sport and TV customers will be hit with price hikes of up to £48/yr from next month - but if you're affected you can leave the TV part of your contract penalty-free...
    Read the full story:
    'BT Sport and TV customers to face price hikes from next month'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 2
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 21st Jun 19, 5:40 PM
    • 12,973 Posts
    • 5,882 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Ethernet only means your wifi signal is not strong enopugh . Move router nearer to TV Box .

4K works over Ethernet means no get out as it works .
    • xssc32x
    • By xssc32x 22nd Jun 19, 7:39 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    xssc32x
    4K issue aside can I not just say I donít want the channels that the £4 increase affects and carry on paying the same minus these channels?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 22nd Jun 19, 9:42 AM
    • 12,973 Posts
    • 5,882 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    You can only ask BT and they can say no or offer a deal .
    • Dave 606
    • By Dave 606 24th Jun 19, 6:54 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Dave 606
    Well I'll be cancelling the TV part as that will otherwise push what I signed up for at about £44.49 near 18 months ago to about £51 with the £4 price rise & that's the point where enough is enough for what little subscription TV we watch. Somewhere along the line BT have also imposed a rise I knew nothing about as the current bill is £46.99, yet my last agreement was £44.49. So I'll be going through my bills to see where this other price rise came from because I negotiated a slight reduction 12 months when the 2018 price rise was £4.49 in return for renewing the 18 month contract ago yet the current bill suggests they may have imposed part of the previous price rise all the same!!!!. So this is certainly something I'll be raising with them when I call to cancel.

Either way removing the TV package will near half the bill which is fine with us!.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 24th Jun 19, 7:29 AM
    • 12,973 Posts
    • 5,882 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Last BT price rise well posted on this board from June 2018 took effect Sept 2018 .No price rise since then .
    • Dave 606
    • By Dave 606 24th Jun 19, 7:38 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Dave 606
    Last BT price rise well posted on this board from June 2018 took effect Sept 2018 .No price rise since then .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    June 2018 was about when I recall being offered a reduction in the total bill of £0.50 per month,. That was in return for renewing for 18 months despite only having been with them for about 4 months by that point. And whilst I'm fairly certain I'd have recalled any official standard price rise, what remains is at some point our bill has gone up by £2.49 per month when it should be £0.50 cheaper. So I'll be going through everything to see where that's come from.
    • Dave 606
    • By Dave 606 24th Jun 19, 8:02 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Dave 606
    Ah, found the extra £2.50 discount lower down the bill, so still paying £44.49 lol. But in percentage terms, the £4 rise is in fact over 20% seeing as the TV package is £18.50 per month. Funny how on my price rise notification it's levied against the entire HD Max TV package yet with others its only on BT Sports?.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 24th Jun 19, 11:08 AM
    • 12,973 Posts
    • 5,882 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Price rise see post one .
    Sport and TV .
    • wild666
    • By wild666 25th Jun 19, 6:11 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    wild666
    Just rang them, I don't want BT sport and only had it because it was free. I've been told that I cannot leave that part of my contract and have to pay a £40 or something fee. They can continue to let me have it for free until Jan 2020 but I will be in a new 18 month contract.
    Originally posted by jockosjungle
    If any part of the contract rises above the price of inflation then you can cancel without penalty they are trying it on with customers. They gave it FREE so cancelling early would be no loss to the provider. They gave me FREE SPORTS for 18 months in 2015, but in July 2016 they increased their prices above inflation and never notified me of any BB increases, so as the sports was part of a total package, BB, phone and internet, I cancelled and BT wanted £220 saying the sports package entered me into another 18 month contract with BT. I complained but they initially stood by their £220 until I contacted the CEO telling him the the regulator would look on them unfavourably and I ended up paying just £2 to leave them because the BB was connected 1 day after my line was taken over by another supplier.
    Someone please tell me what money is
    • xssc32x
    • By xssc32x 25th Jun 19, 12:56 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    xssc32x
    Just called BT, no £4 increase applied as perme email. However upíd internet speed to 76mbps for an additional £1 so have 4K max with the 76 mbps for £41.99. Have cooling off period if anyone thinks I could haggle better?
    Regards
    Simon
    • hadfield55
    • By hadfield55 25th Jun 19, 1:08 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    hadfield55
    Looks like an exercise to extend contracts
    I got the £4 increase email, but when I rang they actually reduced BT Sport from £7 to £6, and gave me 3 free months of HD, which they normally charge me £6.50 for. (Does anyone actually choose to watch in SD?) But I had to extend my broadband and sport contracts to December 2020! Iím happy enough, but I do resent dealing with such a scummy company.
    • gwydion ap don
    • By gwydion ap don 25th Jun 19, 6:22 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    gwydion ap don
    Be aware
    Received letter from BT today re price increase, telephoned them and was told I would have to pay till Mar 2020, £120+; cancelled call and after reading Martin's advice, phoned again, again told not possible till I mentioned Martin Lewis. The operator then proceeded to cancel the outstanding months of contract on the TV. Later received emails to confirm cancellation. Do not like this attitude and will definitely consider switching in March.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 26th Jun 19, 8:45 AM
    • 12,973 Posts
    • 5,882 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Confused did you phone to cancel the contract or just the TV Sport part .
    Cancel TV Sport penalty free YES.
    Cancel whole contract penalty free NO/

ML
    If you're affected by the price hikes, you have the right to remove the BT TV and Sport part of your BT package penalty-free within 30 days of receiving the notice of the price change, but you can't cancel the phone and broadband part of your package if you're still within the minimum term of your contract.
    • Edithgrand
    • By Edithgrand 1st Jul 19, 6:12 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Edithgrand
    Hi,

Are people this this part,if you renew your BT Sport at the the same price, you are also signing up for a new 18 months contract on you phone and Broadband ,that will mean no way out until the 18 months are up!
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 1st Jul 19, 11:32 AM
    • 12,973 Posts
    • 5,882 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Yes of course new contract .
    But also be aware that new BT Contracts now include an agreed yearly price rise in March . This has no Ofcom get out as you are agreeing to it .
    In many cases it could be worth paying the extra until current contract is due for renewal .
    • xman
    • By xman 2nd Jul 19, 3:25 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    xman
    I got the email too - which is weird since I just renewed my broadband and sports for 18 months just 3 months ago!

I haven't called yet but I think I will cancel since my sports bill has gone from £5 in September to £10 in March and now they want £14? I really don't see the additional value there...

This is the phone number in my email if anybody needs it: 08001214453
    • fagun
    • By fagun 5th Jul 19, 1:51 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    fagun
    Price increase does not apply during fixed contract period
    After lots of arguing and escalation, got this reply today:

The email weíve sent you is incorrect. You will see no increase come the 28 July in your services. This is a mistake on BTís behalf that this email went out to you and Iím so sorry this has happened. Iím not surprised you are unhappy around this. Once you go out of contract after 18 April 2020 you would see a £4 increase but not before that.

If you've involuntarily re-contracted or cancelled, you may want to challenge them!
    • xman
    • By xman 9th Jul 19, 12:51 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    xman

The email we’ve sent you is incorrect. You will see no increase come the 28 July in your services. This is a mistake on BT’s behalf that this email went out to you and I’m so sorry this has happened. I’m not surprised you are unhappy around this. Once you go out of contract after 18 April 2020 you would see a £4 increase but not before that.

If you've involuntarily re-contracted or cancelled, you may want to challenge them!
    Originally posted by fagun

Oh dear... Did you use the phone number in the email? (08001214453) or called direct?
    • xman
    • By xman 11th Jul 19, 3:00 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    xman

The email weíve sent you is incorrect. You will see no increase come the 28 July in your services. This is a mistake on BTís behalf that this email went out to you and Iím so sorry this has happened. Iím not surprised you are unhappy around this. Once you go out of contract after 18 April 2020 you would see a £4 increase but not before that.

Originally posted by fagun

OK, spoke to them just now (important to call the number in the email which is the "loyalty team") - explained the price increase was not acceptable and we had a chat. No discounts offered unfortunately.

Disconnecting BT Sports in 30 days without penalty .

No change on the broadband part of the deal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

2,365Users online

Martin's Twitter