Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 2nd Sep 13, 8:42 PM
    • 6,105Posts
    • 32,382Thanks
    AlexLK
    Mr and Mrs K's New Journey to a Debt Free Life.
    • 2nd Sep 13, 8:42 PM
    Mr and Mrs K's New Journey to a Debt Free Life. 2nd Sep 13 at 8:42 PM
    After seeing you are such a helpful bunch on here, my wife and I are making this diary to (hopefully) keep us on track to clearing our debts and moving away from an unsustainable lifestyle.

Some of you may have seen my post asking for help, well things have kind of moved quickly and Mrs K and I are in the process of writing a new SOA with exact figures because my wife is a bit of a perfectionist who thinks every penny matters. Personally, I'm not one to worry about £10 here or £20 there but I'll do as I'm told.

I am going to try and post something here everyday, some of it may be useful and sensible, some of it may not. Hopefully, I'll manage to add a bit of humour to what is a rather horrible situation.

So here goes:

Monday 2nd September, 2013.
    Day 1.

Dear Diary,

After an emotionally fraught start to the day, Mrs K and I are beginning to work together to solve our debt problems. She is rather unhappy about how I let the CCs completely go and have probably completely wrecked my credit rating in the process. However, she is willing to forgive my stupidity should I learn from my mistakes and work with her.

We have agreed to completely merge our finances and complete detailed accounts, some of which I will be responsible for and others she will be. Apparently, each bill needs to be looked at separately, even "council tax" has become a separate entity now though my pen fund seems to be strangely missing.

Still, I'm looking forward to an evening of making up later.

Yours Faithfully,
    Alex.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 10-09-2013 at 4:05 PM.
Page 225
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 27th Mar 15, 10:11 PM
    • 16,779 Posts
    • 110,569 Thanks
    gallygirl
    What is it about Cameron that you don't like? I admit that I think he does himself no favours when he makes one of his "cast iron guarantees" to only realise they are, for whatever reason, unfeasible. I agree Miliband did better than I was expecting but I could not agree with his party of politics.

I thought you were in Spain at the moment?
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    I don't know, I have to read what he says to take it seriously.

Back a week Alex, keep up, but hoping to fit in another shortly .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 27th Mar 15, 10:42 PM
    • 6,105 Posts
    • 32,382 Thanks
    AlexLK
    I'm afraid I'm terrible at keeping up with my own life, never mind others!
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
    • maman
    • By maman 27th Mar 15, 11:05 PM
    • 20,263 Posts
    • 120,740 Thanks
    maman
    What is it about Cameron that you don't like? I admit that I think he does himself no favours when he makes one of his "cast iron guarantees" to only realise they are, for whatever reason, unfeasible. I agree Miliband did better than I was expecting but I could not agree with his party of politics.

I thought you were in Spain at the moment?
    Originally posted by AlexLK

I'm sure he means well and he seems a pleasant person but I think he's totally out of touch with the vast majority of voters in this country. So the effect is that he's making decisions that affect the lives of millions when they won't affect his life in any way at all.
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 28th Mar 15, 4:43 AM
    • 16,779 Posts
    • 110,569 Thanks
    gallygirl
    I'm sure he means well
    Originally posted by maman
    Oh dear, there's always a 'but' after that .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 28th Mar 15, 7:00 AM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 7,651 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Hi Alex, what I mean is that you surely want your son to have happy memories of family life with both you and your wife featuring in the memories. It is great to be close to grandparents too and whilst it might be a bit trying for you I bet Little K will have a great time in Spain with all three of you.

Really pleased that your father apologised, might be time to judiciously point out that your "hobby" is a successful, profitable business that you run through your own expertise and graft. I am also looking forward to the election and am working hard in my ward to get young people to register to vote. Congratulations on the savings by the way.
    Mortgage House £68,000 July 2019, Aug 2019 £67k.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 28th Mar 15, 11:08 PM
    • 6,105 Posts
    • 32,382 Thanks
    AlexLK
    I'm sure he means well and he seems a pleasant person but I think he's totally out of touch with the vast majority of voters in this country. So the effect is that he's making decisions that affect the lives of millions when they won't affect his life in any way at all.
    Originally posted by maman
    I can't say I see him as "out of touch" from a personal perspective, in fact I think he speaks a lot of sense and his party have good policies. However, it seems the wider public do seem to think him out of touch for nothing other than his personal background.

Is it not the case for any PM that they will be making decisions that will affect the lives of millions but not them personally?

Hi Alex, what I mean is that you surely want your son to have happy memories of family life with both you and your wife featuring in the memories. It is great to be close to grandparents too and whilst it might be a bit trying for you I bet Little K will have a great time in Spain with all three of you.

Really pleased that your father apologised, might be time to judiciously point out that your "hobby" is a successful, profitable business that you run through your own expertise and graft. I am also looking forward to the election and am working hard in my ward to get young people to register to vote. Congratulations on the savings by the way.
    Originally posted by tootallulah
    Thanks.

Of course I would like my son to have happy memories of family life. In fact that is very important to me. As for Spain, my son is really looking forward to it and I am starting to as well.

I suppose I struggle to put the case forward for my business at times, especially when the last month or so hasn't been great. To be honest, I doubt my father is ever quite going to understand that I put my family before making money, even though he's told me that he actually admires me for that. Generally, I do get on with my parents quite well these days but there are times when we disagree and they decide to treat me like I'm about my son's age and drag the past up.

Good luck with the election campaigning. I rather enjoy reading about politics and every now and then consider getting involved myself. Maybe one day.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 23rd Apr 15, 9:14 PM
    • 6,105 Posts
    • 32,382 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Thought I'd resurrect this to say that despite my reservations and both Mrs. K. and I being on holiday, she is also now credit card free.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 23rd Apr 15, 9:17 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 4,547 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Well done!! I was wondering how you were getting on.. What are your plans now that you're both debt free?!
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
    • Ali-OK
    • By Ali-OK 23rd Apr 15, 9:31 PM
    • 4,058 Posts
    • 16,645 Thanks
    Ali-OK
    Excellent news Alex and keep going on those savings
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
    • LannieDuck
    • By LannieDuck 24th Apr 15, 5:46 AM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 6,978 Thanks
    LannieDuck
    Haven't been on in a while - congratulations on being debt-free (and more!). That's a fantastic achievement.

I have to admit, I wasn't certain you'd get there - kudos to you
    Mortgage when started: £330,995

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
    Arthur C. Clarke
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 24th Apr 15, 8:59 PM
    • 6,105 Posts
    • 32,382 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Well done!! I was wondering how you were getting on.. What are your plans now that you're both debt free?!
    Originally posted by stepuptothepl8
    The plans are meant to be here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5192886. However, it's not going so well at the moment.

I am also planning to save £10,000 over this year which was going OK until March and April. Will hopefully get back to it once home.

Excellent news Alex and keep going on those savings
    Originally posted by Ali-OK
    Thank you, Ali.

I am trying my best with the savings, despite a bad couple of months.

Haven't been on in a while - congratulations on being debt-free (and more!). That's a fantastic achievement.

I have to admit, I wasn't certain you'd get there - kudos to you
    Originally posted by LannieDuck
    Thank you.

I wasn't certain I'd get there, either. Recently, I've felt myself slipping into habits of old, unfortunately but I hope that was just a temporary blip.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 17th May 15, 8:28 AM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 18,056 Thanks
    chevalier
    how is it going? Still keeping to the straight and narrow?
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 17th May 15, 9:19 PM
    • 6,105 Posts
    • 32,382 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Hi Chev,

Thank you for posting.

Yes, I am indeed still keeping on the straight and narrow. The savings are not quite going up at the rate I'd like as business is not all that great at the moment but I'm not spending any money either. That said we should be getting a dog soon, which will cost money but I'm looking forward to it.

I post regularly on this MFW diary now, though not exactly getting anywhere with clearing the mortgage http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5192886
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    • Daisyrose
    • By Daisyrose 31st Aug 16, 4:27 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Daisyrose
    Subscribing X
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,339Posts Today

7,115Users online

Martin's Twitter