MSE News: IT bug at Ovo Energy means 13,000 customer bills were wrong

Comments

• Sandmonster
    Sandmonster Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 16 November 2014 at 10:51AM
    It took them 3 months to respond with a proper answer to my queries about this - and that only after I took to twitter to ask in public.

They also don't seem to be able to feed in the meter readings from their own meter man into the system - came 2 months ago now and still no reading???

Thankfully the co-op is now showing cheaper on the MSE club, including the £60 penalty, so I'll be switching!:)
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's not just this bug. Last week ovo emailed to say they were increasing my DD by 50%, even though I am over two months in credit! Called them to ask why and all customer service could say was "it's obviously a mistake". I'm afraid I don't believe it's a mistake. I told them to return the payment to the previous level if they couldn't justify the increase, so they did. It's hard work doing other peoples jobs as well as your own

Bexster :)

I am in credit by almost three months (I have been with them for less than six months) and Ovo are more than doubling my DD! Last month my on-line account says they estimated my gas and electric readings saying I had failed to supply any readings, even though the readings I supplied (on time) are viewable within my account!

Anyway, when I noticed that they pay 3% in-credit interest I did not bother contacting them to complain. I will let them collect the extra DD and when my contract is up I will leave and claim back all my monies (including the 3% interest)
  • We're on a fixed tariff for two years with OVO but think we'll probably change suppliers after that. We're constantly in credit. Had £500 refunded a few months ago and we are now in credit by £400 and they still say based on estimates we ought to increase our DD from £135 to £145 but won't let us reduce it.

They refunded within three weeks for the poster who was asking.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am in credit by almost three months (I have been with them for less than six months) and Ovo are more than doubling my DD! Last month my on-line account says they estimated my gas and electric readings saying I had failed to supply any readings, even though the readings I supplied (on time) are viewable within my account!

Anyway, when I noticed that they pay 3% in-credit interest I did not bother contacting them to complain. I will let them collect the extra DD and when my contract is up I will leave and claim back all my monies (including the 3% interest)

...interesting...I've been with them for just over 6 months running a comfortable surplus at the moment of ~ 2.5 months payments ...but they are suggesting that I drop my DD by £15 pm!!! Won't bother now as I'm switching away:)
  • Hoopie1
    Hoopie1 Posts: 1,254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Stephen Fitzpatrick can't keep out of the news when it comes to having a pop at the big six. When his company drops the ball he appears to be too busy and the issue is dealt with by "a spokesman".
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hoopie1 wrote: »
    Stephen Fitzpatrick can't keep out of the news when it comes to having a pop at the big six. When his company drops the ball he appears to be too busy and the issue is dealt with by "a spokesman".

Clever chap! Never be the face of bad news. 10/10 for his marketing team.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Clever chap! Never be the face of bad news. 10/10 for his marketing team.

Yeah, but if they don't sort out these problems they will come back to bite them:(:(
  • Ditched EDF just over 2 years ago , never had a payment or problem with them , but OVO at the time were by far the cheapest supplier, renewing this time around they are about the 6 th cheapest , but the savings are only in the region of 50p per week , so having no hassle with DD and building up a 2 months credit surplus over the 2 + years which I get 3% intrest , decided to stay with them for another 12 months , did use the live chat and had a good old grump about the huge increase in daily standing charge.
    Altho I have always managed my account on line and put regular monthly readings in ,found out I had to register to get the recent on line discount which is available , this should have been automatically implimented on the new contract , but it wasn't but I did manage to claim back some of the discount as a good will gesture on the last few months of the old contract from when the newest online discount started . this discount just about ballances the extra on the daily standing charge .

Reading through the posts on here , if OVO are going to play silly beggars with DD increases and start getting things wrong and all mixed up . I will NOT be renewing my contract with them again as there are 2 of the big six who are slightly cheaper now proving that smaller suppliers are having the right effect on the bigger ones , it pays to shop around for the best deals which it is all about .Best value for your money .
  • dwp3
    dwp3 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just got an email from them this afternoon, apologising for the error and telling me I've underpaid by £12.44, which will be taken from my account balance. The trouble is that I've no idea what my current credit balance really is because they haven't billed me for gas for three months (I was on "billing suspension" because of the error). And because my bill for electricity only was so low they almost halved my direct debit last month.

They've given no information about how the three month's unpaid gas will be sorted out so I've emailed back asking if they're going to hit me with a huge bill just before Christmas. Now waiting for a reply ...
  • mouse10
    mouse10 Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I phoned them today after I noticed I hadn't been charged for electricity since August. I'm on a dual fuel deal and they had charged for Gas only. They have also asked me to reduce my DD as I am £300+ in credit. They said lots of customers have phoned up with the same problem. So, why didn't they inform customers of the problem when it first arose? I'm dissapointed as I switched away from First Utility because I couldn't get a bill out of them for over 3 months because of computer problems. What is it with these energy companies, are there any decent ones out there that can sell their product and get the billing right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure