Waiters/restaurant workers (especially in chains) - tell us, who gets the tips?

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I was surprised by that too, I knew chefs weren’t amazingly well paid, but it’s a skilled job that requires some training, I always assumed it was a fair bit more than the waiters.

I don’t really agree though that if tips are shared the chef should get more, the kitchen staff doing the grunt work like washing up work really hard in a messy physical job. I think wages should reflect the skill level of the job but tips aren’t wages they’re a ‘thank you’ so i’d Prefer they were shared equally between all the lowest paid staff.

Actually i’d prefer tipping was banned altogether and staff got a living wage for their work but can’t see that happening!
    Now you've gone and changed my mind again! ;)
    I do agree with you.
    Tips shared equally between waiters, chefs and kitchen staff.
  • In Whitbread chain pub restaurants, the chefs are on a higher hourly wage than waiting staff. The posts on here demonstrate how much conditions vary in the industry. I would advise anyone who wants to maximise their earning potential from tips to go for one of the aforementioned chains such as Whitbread or Mitchells and Butler, rather than other establishments. They seem to be more consistent about how tips are distributed.
  • I worked as a Waitress at Bill's for just over a year. The service charge is automatically added to the bill. The waiting staff do not receive a penny of this "service charge", (that's automatically added and usually paid by card), for the service they have provided. Waiting staff only get to keep cash tips. None of the waiting staff know where it goes. There were some kind customers who asked if we got the tip, and when I said "No", they asked if I could take the "automatic service charge" off the bill, and left it for me in cash. I have since left and gone to a resturant that don't automatically add the service charge on and it's made a huge difference.
  • Hp102 wrote: »
    Working for the IVY restaurant chain. They add on an automatic 12.5% to each bill. This can be removed as it is Discretionary. Though most people pay it. The waiting staff only get 62p per hour of all service charges taken then rest goes back to the company

I'm surprised to read this, as we always pay for meals and the discretionary service charge on our credit card. Could you please tell us what happens if customers opt to remove the service charge, but leave cash as tips instead? How are cash tips treated?

Thanks!
  • I have been a waitress for many years. Mitchells & Butlers (Harvester, Toby, Browns, Miller & Carter, etc) have a policy where each house should have an annual staff meeting to decide how staff share tips. The Miller & Carter where I work (which continues the same system as when it was previously a Beefeater) pays 'plate money' which gets shared between kitchen/bar staff. This is currently a flat rate depending on the shift (weekend/busier shifts pay more) although it used to be a set amount per cover. Tips on cards at my restaurant are added onto my wages. However this is not the case in all the branches. One of our nearby branches has the policy that all credit card tips a waiter receives are shared between the kitchen staff and the waiter only keeps cash tips. In other branches the waiter pays either 1%, 2% or 3% of the total revenue he/she has taken on that shift. Generally speaking, waiting staff pass money onto the kitchen staff whether a table tips or not. I would like to add that we are all most grateful to guests who show their appreciation for good service by leaving us a tip. Many thanks. :A
  • Tips? Ha ha ha...the joys of card machine payments mean less and less tips are being given

I work 16 hours a week in a very busy pub waiting tables all day long, all tips get shared equally amongst front of house / kitchen staff on a weekly basis and I think this is great as we all work together as a team (including those paying my card). Being on the minimum wage, a whopping £8.21 an hour, tips are always gratefully received, no matter how small. It's the thought that counts. However, the thing that annoys me when it comes to tipping is that now more and more people are paying by card less and less actually leave a tip, even when the option is to do it on the machine. You see people all the time having the I don't have any cash on me conversation and then the person who pays doesn't give a tip as they have picked up the bill....I am now in favour of having a 10% discretionary charge added to all bills, something that used to wind me up but would love my employer to bring it in.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    vm72 wrote: »
    Tips? Ha ha ha...the joys of card machine payments mean less and less tips are being given

I work 16 hours a week in a very busy pub waiting tables all day long, all tips get shared equally amongst front of house / kitchen staff on a weekly basis and I think this is great as we all work together as a team (including those paying my card). Being on the minimum wage, a whopping £8.21 an hour, tips are always gratefully received, no matter how small. It's the thought that counts. However, the thing that annoys me when it comes to tipping is that now more and more people are paying by card less and less actually leave a tip, even when the option is to do it on the machine. You see people all the time having the I don't have any cash on me conversation and then the person who pays doesn't give a tip as they have picked up the bill....I am now in favour of having a 10% discretionary charge added to all bills, something that used to wind me up but would love my employer to bring it in.
    These sorts of charges annoy people.
    They annoy me.
    If I want to give a tip, I want to consciously make a choice to tip rather than to have to actively ask for a discretionary charge to be removed from the bill.

FTR - I'm one of those people who often pay by card but leave tips in cash as I've already posted:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Even when we pay by card, we always tip in cash directly to the staff who've served us

I could envisage that the people who have the 'I don't have any cash on me' conversation still would ask for the charge to be removed anyway.

I could envisage that the people who pick up the bill would also ask for the charge to be removed anyway.

So what would you be gaining?
    I could see it really pi$$ing some people off who just wave their card at the machine or input their pin without checking the amount and when/if they check their bill later discover that they've been charged 10% more than the menu price.
    Maybe pi$$ing them off enough to eat somewhere else next time.
  • My teenage daughter waitresses at Pizza Express. Each waitress has own section to serve. Cash tips are kept by waitress of that section. Online tips - 70% to waitress of that section and 30% shared between all staff on duty that shift. Company do not keep any so that's good and staff in her branch are lovely. If she's gone home just before a cash tip is paid by a table she's served then often it is put by for her. :)
  • I worked as both a chef and waitress in a small Italian restaurant where all tips were split nightly amongst everyone working. Tips left on a card were taken straight out of the till and into the pot.

I also worked as a chef in a Greene King restaurant and didn't get a penny in tips. I don't know if the servers did, but as you ordered at the bar, I doubt many people tipped in the first place.
  • Ant chance of deciphering this in to English?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure