Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl

Comments

• poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,934
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Saw a similar thread to this on another forum, where people were either recommending or warning about products from either Aldi or Lidl. In other words, this thread should serve to let people know of must buys and/or don't buys.

With MSE forums being about saving money, I thought why not make a thread which has a list of products from Aldi/Lidl that people should either avoid or buy - for example: The product is good/poor value for money; The product is of good/bad quality; You can buy the similar/same product at another supermarket. Basically telling people why to buy or avoid a product.

To start the ball rolling, I will recommend a good product, then a bad product.

I would recommend Aldi's Almat biological soap powder. It lathers up very quickly on a quick wash, with quarter of the recommended dose (please note this wash had about 8 tea towels). It seems to remove stains with half the recommended dose on a normal day's wash of clothes, but I would recommend a full dose for when doing a full load with large capacity washers (7kg+).

I would avoid Aldi's Thai Sweet Chicken crisps. For me they lacked flavour, and tasted too greasy.

Now for the experts recommendations below... ;)
  • russ331
    russ331 Posts: 324
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 26 April 2012 at 6:56AM
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,934
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    russ331 wrote: »
    Sorry about that, I didn't see those after searching. :o
  • Recommend the pastrami from aldi (think £1.50) and the chocolate orange truffle... Omg yummmm!!
  • jackie_w
    jackie_w Posts: 1,077
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've just recently started shopping at lidl and aldi and find aldi to be much better.

My kids eat fruit like there is no tomorrow especially grapes, and my local lidl are selling grapes for £1.99, my local asda sell them for £2.00, but my local aldi sell them for £1.15.

I still go to asda for cold meat for sandwiches, I would like to try aldi or lidl version but not sure which one would be best. Any recommendations?

jackie
  • peterpan567
    peterpan567 Posts: 114 Forumite
    lidl has a great sliced ham - 400g pack for 2.79 or something like that, with no water/flour addded. the greatest ever.
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    My husband likes any of Lidl's range of hams eg Parma, Black Forest plus salami with fennel, chorizo, Kabanossi and Krakowska sausage. He's rather buy deli meats in Lidl than anywhere else.
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Aldi.

Gourmet Jelly Beans, 200g 79p. Very good, on a par with well know brands of jelly beans.

Titan chocolate bars, 6 small bars for 69p. Taste very much like Mars bars.

;)
  • carlyh69
    carlyh69 Posts: 303 Forumite
    Lidl- Formil washing liquid I find very good, smells clean and is really cheap!
    Wins 2016: Dogfest ticks, B&M dog Hamper, Dog food, Dog blanket, Hair product, meal for 2 and wine at pub, craft bundle, organic surge gift pack, £100 gullivers world voucher, stress out cd, £200 seascape vouchers, popcorn maker, mandarin body butter, Wishing for a holiday win!
  • Charliezoo
    Charliezoo Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    carlyh69 wrote: »
    Lidl- Formil washing liquid I find very good, smells clean and is really cheap!

I second that - I'm a real laundry liquid snob and love my washing to smell really clean, this is my favourite laundry liquid available on the market and I've tried absolutely loads!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure