Recycle Week: Re-use, Recycle and Save Money

Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
edited 20 September 2019 at 1:25PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
blog-image-recycle-week.png

Monday 23 September 2019 is the start of RecycleNow's #Recycleweek.

We started this discussion a few years ago in tandem with Recycle Now, The Rubbish Diet and myzerowaste to help spread the message about recycling and re-use and show everyone how you can save by being just that little bit more savvy with your spending and we've updated it for 2019.

Read the blogs, discussions etc and join in!

Who turned over my bottle?!?

A tongue-in-cheek look at recycling pet peeves!

Share our Infographic

Share our 10 Ways to Save Money with Reuse and Recycling Infographic.

25p off your Starbucks, Pret & Costa drink - every time

Pay £1, get 25p off most Costa, Pret & Starbucks drinks EVERY time

Are you a Rampant Recycler?

Tell us AND show us by replying to this post and you may get a new Forum Badge from MSE Badger.

Could you save on...?
Dump Your Junk, recycling and decluttering blogs and guides
Zerowaste

If you want a real challenge you can take recycling to the next level. Zerowaste is about re-using your stuff without needing to recycle. Very, very MoneySaving! Make Do and Mend

Our Fab Old Style MoneySavers chinwag about all things Make do and Mend. Join them!
Charity Shop Challenge

Tell us your Charity shop bargain of the week

Find your nearest recycling facilities

Use the fab recycling locator by recycling charity Recycle Now.

Plug in your postcode and it'll tell you where your nearest place to recycle is. It should help you combine your recycling with another, planned journey to save fuel.

Use our Demotivator

Use our demotivator tool to work out how much you're spending on disposable items and how much you could save by switching to reusables instead.

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Nice forum and nice discussion in this forum.
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Brilliant thread!
    Decluttering, recycling and make do and mend is part of my every day living. Just getting the family on board is that little bit harder, but they are learning. I encourage to look see what we have before splashing the cash!

I have learned to look at old clothes and fabrics with a new light. I ask myself if I can reuse a zip, buttons or fabric in a new craft?
    I make bags, cushion covers and patchwork.
    The unloved goes to the chariry clothes bin or CS.

I have a large box I often put unwanted, decluttered items in. When the adult children come to visit things are blessed to ther home.
    Anything left a DD puts on her car boot stall.

Soon we are moving to a smaller house. Happy to say Declutter our mortgage. Horay! Will be able to join the mortgage free thread:0)
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • Fantastic! We can't wait to give you a mortgage free badge! Keep us updated!

Join the MSE Forum
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    At Christmas, I stumbled upon Bea Johnson's Zero Waste Home book in my local library. I was already 2 years in on the path of Minimalism, but zero waste resonated so much with me.

To give a brief overview of some of the changes I've made;

I made cloth squares the same size as kitchen roll from some scrap fabric I was given. I use them to line cake tins and the microwave rather than kitchen roll.

I've bought pyrex dishes with special microwaveable lids, so I can freeze food in them and defrost/ cook in them.

I use plates as lids for bowls in the fridge, rather than clingfilm.

I made my own cloth re-usable pantyliners and I plan to make my own cloth re-useable sanitary towels at some point too. I had scraps of fabric left over from making PJs.

I stopped buying expensive chemical cleaners and start using white vinegar, bicarb and soda crystals. I re-fill my own cleaning bottles.

I only use cloth bags for shopping now.

We started to buy solid shampoos, conditioners, soaps, hand creams and body lotion bars- all packaging free from Lush. We no longer use shower gel at all and we have massively reduced our plastic waste.

I purchased e-cloth scouring pads and cloths for the washing up, instead of plastic scourers. I now just put these in on a hot wash and re-use.

I sew up holes in clothes and pretty much only buy second-hand, or make my own.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• Akaaka
    Akaaka Posts: 51 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Hey I sew up old socks and even underwear within reason because it lasts, not being tight but sometimes had nice socks given as prezzies often have little holes in them within a few weeks or so.

I even walk 5 minutes to nearest community recycling bin than dump it outside my flat in the big metal bins and even with my basic stuff I use things like takeaway containers(not the plastic ones the foam ones) to put rubbish in rather than put in carrier bags and I often fill up a bag with rubbish, take it down to outside bins and empty them in bin and take bags back,

I put old scourers in the machine instead of dumping them(many friends at uni used to use them once like wipe and single plate and put them in bin)
  • Yay to sewing up old socks! Nothing tight about that - if the holes can be caught in time before they get bigger why not?

We're very much a throw-away society nowadays so we love our Old Style MoneySaving and Crafting boards all the more!

Join the MSE Forum
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    i like to recycle the 1kg plastic marg tubs. Very usefull as deviders in drawers. if to tall cut them down.
    Useful for starting off seeds too!
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • More Re-use MoneySaving added to the top post :)

Join the MSE Forum
  • System
    System Posts: 178,086 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Fab thread, going to have a nosy through the links!

I like to be as eco as I can... composting is my new thing ;) so far so good!!x
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Silly suggestion, but my wife started baking bread last year, and needed something to cover it when proving. So she asked people to pass on any 'free' shower caps from hotels. They work brilliantly as they are elasticated.

They are also good to use instead of cling film to cover the tops of bowls going in the fridge, just snap fit, over and over.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure