PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbour restricting my right of way

So, I have a shared drive way with 4 other neighbours, there is a portion of this drive that only serves my house and one other. One of the neighbours who does not need access to this part of the drive has planted a Laura hedge beyond the curtailment of his boundary. According to the land registry ordnance survey drawings, the width of the drive should be 5 metres. The overgrown laurel hedge has narrowed the drive to 2.7 metres. My solicitor has already written to him to remind him of my ROW.
Is anyone familiar with the legal options I can exercise, such as taking him to court?
Btw, he’s just a miserable, cantankerous man in his 80’s and is not amenable to a chat!

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Are you doing anything annoying in the shared driveway area that's made him think this is the only way to prevent it?

Is 2.7 metres not wide enough?

While a ROW is your right and he can't block it ... what's the full story here?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Long answer short: two minutes with a chain saw. You are allowed to cut hedges, trees etc back to the boundary and you have warned him. Much cheaper than court.
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    Long answer short: two minutes with a chain saw. You are allowed to cut hedges, trees etc back to the boundary and you have warned him. Much cheaper than court.

Exactly what I'd do too.
  • rosyw
    rosyw Posts: 519
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »

This is what I have done! I have a neighbour very similar to that of OP, 10 minutes with a hedge trimmer followed by a good spray with strong weedkiller to clear the other plants soon solved the problem :rotfl: My deeds state the drive must be kept clear to a width of 4 metres, and that my neighbour is responsible for doing this,but following an incident when the ambulance needed for another neighbour had great difficulty getting to him I took matters into my own hands!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »

Just to add, place cuttings on his lawn or similar, as otherwise you could be liable for removing his property.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    So he hasn't actually planted it on your access deliberately, he's just (negligently or deliberately) allowed it to get overgrown?

As others have said: hedgetrimmer next weekend to clear your access route.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Just to add, place cuttings on his lawn or similar, as otherwise you could be liable for removing his property.
    I suspect dumping some unwanted garden waste would merely antagonise the neighbour further!
  • It sounds like he has planted the hedge on the drive. Both because the OP says " planted a Laura hedge beyond the curtailment of his boundary" and also because 2.3 metres from the roots is a hell of a lot of overgrown hedge.

What did you say when he planted the hedge? Or was it there when you moved in?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I suspect dumping some unwanted garden waste would merely antagonise the neighbour further!
    Maybe leave it on the boundary for 24 hours and pop a friendly note through his door asking if he wants it for his compost or would like you to remove it?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    Maybe leave it on the boundary for 24 hours and pop a friendly note through his door asking if he wants it for his compost or would like you to remove it?
    Laurel contains arsenic; I really wouldn't compost.

Not so sure about Laura!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport