Winter fuel payment petition

Comments

• sh1305 wrote: »
    No, they get the winter fuel allowance.

but they dont get DLA do they ?
    and they only get winter fuel allowance during the winter, not all year round like DLA
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DLA does NOT have a heating component. People on DLA generally have extra costs associated with their disabilities.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • I am 68 and get DLA does this mean I qualify for cold weather payments? Its a simple yes or no,as reading the other posts are a bit confusing.
  • misty_blue_2
    misty_blue_2 Posts: 223 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2010 at 2:37PM
    misty_blue wrote: »
    i can see both sides of the argument

firstly i have MS and am bedridden, also i suffer with touch sensitivity so i cannot bear anything touching my skin, very hard when it is freezing cold to try and keep warm, my duvet has to be lifted off me with a blanket lifter .
    i can only wear the lightest of clothing on top and nothing on my legs as they are so sensitive.
    It costs a fortune to keep my room warm, as like i said i cannot bear clothes on me to keep warm, also i have to be turned in bed every 2 hours to stop getting bed sores.
    Yes i get DLA high rate care but this is taken up paying for my care needs and the high living expenses that come with being so ill.

On the other hand the extra money for cold weather payments i get no matter how small is very much appreciated.
    I worked 3 jobs before i took ill, and wish i was capable of work now, but alas i am not.

yes my heating bill is huge, yes i find it hard to pay, but it has always been the case that you use more heating in the winter months so the bills are higher.
    my disablity makes it hard for me to keep warm, but where do we draw the line.
    It would be nice to get a fuel allowance like pensioners do, but we dont , some might think its wrong, others not, i myself think life is too short to worry about it .

yes it is hard but life is hard for everyone, not only us disabled people.
    sh1305 wrote: »
    DLA does NOT have a heating component. People on DLA generally have extra costs associated with their disabilities.

if you read my post above you will see i am severely disabled,
    in answer to your post pension doesnt include a heating componant either, i am not a pensioner, i am disabled but i do not understand why there is such bad feeling having to pay our heating bills out of the money we get,
    if i was working i would have to pay for heating out of my wages.
    My benefits are for living expenses including heating .
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    moonsilk2 wrote: »
    I am 68 and get DLA does this mean I qualify for cold weather payments? Its a simple yes or no,as reading the other posts are a bit confusing.
    Not a simple yes or no I'm afraid! Do you get pension credit?
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • fedupconsumer
    fedupconsumer Posts: 597 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2010 at 2:40PM
    Is this for real?

Even working taxpayers are struggling to pay heating bills right now.

Personally, I could do with some help :confused:

But the majority of them are able bodied and in good health where others on this sub forum are very very ill and cold weather can mean the difference from crippling pain to a reduction of pain and a ability to function,

"Oh deary me, do you? So do young families with little children, where is their help? Where is the help for a number of people with 100's of illnesses that don't class as disabilities?"

So sorry but families and elderly people always get all the help because its a vote winner. What some people fail to get their heads around carers and helpers not paid by the state save the economy £89 billion, 89 billion, im sorry but what the government are doing is immoral, illegal and is tantamount to leaving the most vulnerable people in society in a perpetual state of ill health. We get told your liars your faking your illness, putting up with constant assessments, back and forth hospitals for care and appointments, go through huge physiological problems a by product of chronic health. We dont want to be disabled , many would love someone to wave a magic wand to get better but the rubbish we have to go through on a daily basis can be debilitating.

Disabled people have laws to protect them from inferior service young familes dont.

" What a disgusting and ridiculous idea. Many disabled people are already given ten to fifteen times the winter fuel allowance in extra"

Where from good grief you would think that disabled people are rolling in money simply what you have posted is a lot of rubbish, show us where you have based this from?

People have mentioned DLA covering the cost of heating, its for paying for care and mobility neither covers heating. So that argument is a no starter and can be quashed, the government are using it as an excuse not to pay up and distances themselves from actually addressing the problem.

WFP should be means tested and there is nothing to say it would cost more to do so, simply looking at the assesment of income when applying for other benefits has effectively done the work for them. Simple solutions but the powers that be dont want to address the obvious disparity.

"and pensioners have to use their pensions"

Pensionersget 95.25 moe than the average disabled person on ESA or IB and they get WFP'S as well , many might have company pentions too.

"I appreciate the sentiment but we cannot have everyone who is classed as disabled being added to the payout list."

That is a good point where the people with chronic and long term disabilites should be cattered for but for those signed of work for less than 6 months should be omitted.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    if you read my post above you will see i am severely disabled,
    in answer to your post pension doesnt include a heating componant either, i am not a pensioner, i am disabled but i do not understand why there is such bad feeling having to pay our heating bills out of the money we get,
    if i was working i would have to pay for heating out of my wages.
    My benefits are for living expenses including heating .

DLA doesn't go far though. And for most of us, it doesn't cover half of the costs we need. Why do I have to pay the heating out of my DLA; yet if I was a pensioner on DLA I wouldn't have to?

If I was working and not on benefits, I would have much more money than I do.
    Where from good grief you would think that disabled people are rolling in money simply what you have posted is a lot of rubbish, show us where you have based this from?

Over a year, LRC is around £970. But as we all know, it doesn't go far.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,647
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    your obviously not disabled,i paid my taxes for years until i pysicaly could no longer work,but wish i was in a position where i could work
    Yes i have disabilities (or at least i have conditions talked about on here as disabilities) but i self manage and still work normally.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,647
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    and pensioners have to use their pensions
    And i have to use my wages....
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Yes i have disabilities (or at least i have conditions talked about on here as disabilities) but i self manage and still work normally.

I consider that you are very lucky that your disability or condition is such that you are able and well enough to ...
    self manage and still work normally
    I for one cannot and I consider myself very lucky if I am able to get dressed occasionally or a day I may be able to leave the house. I did work for many years and had a 'normal' life until suddenly my world fell apart and everything stopped. I was very independent but I now have to ask for help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure